New stadiums: worth it?

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

New stadiums: worth it?

Post by callum_walker » 20 Mar 2018, 16:00

Seen as Cas' stadium seems to be moving - albeit slowly - on the right path, I thought I'd give my view on whether such new, shiny stadia are worth it or not: https://uk.blastingnews.com/sport/2018/ ... 45787.html

corvusxiii
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: New stadiums: worth it?

Post by corvusxiii » 20 Mar 2018, 16:34

I have dreams of walking into the new stadium and nightmares on finding a big bus shelter. Unreasonable I know but....
To finish last in the Tour de France, first you must finish.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 20 Mar 2018, 18:48

Very good summary of it.

I'd also argue that a new stadium is imperative to giving the best experience possible to all fans. Our wheelchair-bound fans/fans with walking difficulties are incredibly short changed at the moment, for an example, and this is one thing I'd like to see the club make a focus point, and shout about, with the new stadium.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by callum_walker » 20 Mar 2018, 20:28

HuddsTigers wrote:Very good summary of it.

I'd also argue that a new stadium is imperative to giving the best experience possible to all fans. Our wheelchair-bound fans/fans with walking difficulties are incredibly short changed at the moment, for an example, and this is one thing I'd like to see the club make a focus point, and shout about, with the new stadium.
Yes I definitely agree. The disabled facilities at Cas are some of the worst I've ever seen. Poor people in their wheelchairs exposed to the elements at the front of the stand with absolutely zero cover.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 20 Mar 2018, 20:58

Just dont get why the club have agreed with a 10,000 capacity. Way too small. If WR holds 11,500 then a new 10,000 will look ridiculously small with 4 separate sides.

If however the club were to sell WR and use the money to add to the new ground that would be better. Having said that when the sale funds have been "Shared" there wont be much left.

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 20 Mar 2018, 21:12

I think there's an option to to fill in the corners which would increase capacity. I believe that would take it to 12k or thereabouts. I've not looked at the plans or planning in depth so I can't comment on the development of initial stands if we get to those dizzy attendance figures

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 20 Mar 2018, 21:22

12K would suit us just fine in a new stadium we should have a sell out for all our home matches, 10,000 is that bit two small but beggars can not be chooses

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 21 Mar 2018, 01:14

Forgive me if I'm wrong on this, but I thought that the proceeds from the sale of WR would go to pay off the 2m quid that the club reportedly owe to the Fultons and are paying interest on.
Perhaps Hudds can enlighten us.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 21 Mar 2018, 02:34

gateman wrote:12K would suit us just fine in a new stadium we should have a sell out for all our home matches, 10,000 is that bit two small but beggars can not be chooses
How many 10k+ attendances a year do we currently have?
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 21 Mar 2018, 08:08

Spanishtiger wrote:Forgive me if I'm wrong on this, but I thought that the proceeds from the sale of WR would go to pay off the 2m quid that the club reportedly owe to the Fultons and are paying interest on.
Perhaps Hudds can enlighten us.
It will unless they decide nah dont bother keep it for now. Not likely.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 21 Mar 2018, 08:11

the machine wrote:
gateman wrote:12K would suit us just fine in a new stadium we should have a sell out for all our home matches, 10,000 is that bit two small but beggars can not be chooses
How many 10k+ attendances a year do we currently have?
We prob only get that when we play leeds and hull and then it depends on the day its played.

Presume people think just cos we have a new stadium all of a sudden 2000 more people are going to turn up.

Having 10k capacity will mean some people will miss out when those 2 come to town.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 21 Mar 2018, 08:23

I agree that it doesn’t happen that often but other clubs have seen attendances rise through the very fact they have a new stadium. Warrington are a good example.
I suspect cost is the reason it isn’t being done but it says a lot about our ambitions ( or otherwise) as a club.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 21 Mar 2018, 09:05

It says a lot about the company building it for free for us. We don’t have a choice if we want a new stadium.

WallTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by WallTiger » 21 Mar 2018, 10:21

fords wrote:Having 10k capacity will mean some people will miss out when those 2 come to town.
Not necessarily because if there’s enough demand from home fans then surely we just reduce the amount of tickets available to away fans?

We’ve just had our best ever season in SL and averaged just over 9k. Although I do think if we continue to challenge over the next few years, the improved facilities a new stadium brings would see us regularly sell out at 10k even against those clubs that historically don’t bring many away fans. So I do agree an initial 12k capacity would have made more sense but as already mentioned beggars can’t be choosers!

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 21 Mar 2018, 11:05

HuddsTigers wrote:It says a lot about the company building it for free for us. We don’t have a choice if we want a new stadium.
I agree but surely it is worth at least looking at the businrss case for filling in the corners and if it stacks up, borrow to do it as the club appears to be putting no money at all into the main project

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 21 Mar 2018, 13:17

Tamworth Tiger wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:It says a lot about the company building it for free for us. We don’t have a choice if we want a new stadium.
I agree but surely it is worth at least looking at the businrss case for filling in the corners and if it stacks up, borrow to do it as the club appears to be putting no money at all into the main project
How do you know the club aren't doing this or haven't already

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 21 Mar 2018, 13:36

It would make more sense to do it whilst being built and not after.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 21 Mar 2018, 13:39

fords wrote:
Tamworth Tiger wrote:
How do you know the club aren't doing this or haven't already
They'd need to submit a planning application as the ground is based on a 10,000 capacity and the traffic plans are all based on 10,000.

sirocco7
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by sirocco7 » 21 Mar 2018, 15:31

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:It would make more sense to do it whilst being built and not after.

It’s not that simple, at this stage I believe it would be a case as
Starting from scratch again , traffic plans etc etc. Best idea is get
the stadium built first and look at expanding it at a later date.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 21 Mar 2018, 16:20

I know we have to look to the future, but I don't get why 10,000 isn't enough to start with. It's gonna take one hell of an effort to get near to an average of 10,000 per game for us. When we can sell that out week in, week out then apply to have it increased. Plus, its free!