New stadiums: worth it?

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: New stadiums: worth it?

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 21 Mar 2018, 16:32

HuddsTigers wrote:
fords wrote:
Tamworth Tiger wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:It says a lot about the company building it for free for us. We don’t have a choice if we want a new stadium.
I agree but surely it is worth at least looking at the businrss case for filling in the corners and if it stacks up, borrow to do it as the club appears to be putting no money at all into the main project
How do you know the club aren't doing this or haven't already
They'd need to submit a planning application as the ground is based on a 10,000 capacity and the traffic plans are all based on 10,000.
Thanks. They would need to factor that into the business case to see if it stacked up even if done as an amendment either during building or post completion

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 21 Mar 2018, 18:26

derbystiger wrote:I know we have to look to the future, but I don't get why 10,000 isn't enough to start with. It's gonna take one hell of an effort to get near to an average of 10,000 per game for us. When we can sell that out week in, week out then apply to have it increased. Plus, its free!
I guess it's swings and roundabouts. We get a couple of games that get over 10,000 so there's less revenue. We want to be a top 4 side forever but logic says that we have to have a bad spell at some point. We have to factor that in - when we weren't as good, our crowds dropped to averaging only 6.5k.

I think I mentioned last time we had this discussion for me it's about matching ambition with prudence. We don't need to be doing anything silly. Let's get into the new ground first and see how much it's going to cost for us to maintain and run it, as well as how it affects us financially first.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Mojoxc

Post by Mojoxc » 21 Mar 2018, 19:47

All Iwould say is be careful what you wish for.

They are not building it for free, if it happens, it's called planning gain and without it being policed properly which I doubt very much it will be done on the cheap.

Do you also remember the Willows, the crowds, the atmosphere.....now what have Salford got.....a soulless ground that's gets 2,000 on a good day and takes you 2 hours to get out of a one road in one road out onto one of the busiest motorway junctions.

I went once, never again.

Our ground is tired and needs investment, but what a ground, what an atmosphere. Away teams don't like at all. But more importantly how many fans walk from the town to the games. That stops.

The pressure has gone re facilities because the powers that be know it is unsertainable,do you really think they would consider taking a team out of the comp that is top 4 and went to the grand final last season.

Times have changed and we should use this to our advantage and find a way to enhance our own ground just as Leeds Rhinos are doing.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 21 Mar 2018, 20:29

I don’t like the new Salford ground but the last time I went to the Willows it was falling down

SFOtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SFOtiger » 21 Mar 2018, 21:26

Great article.

One thing I'd look into a bit more are those revenues from concerts etc. Many of the new grounds have Rugby League clubs as tenants vs owners. Thus the revenues from any non-match-day events will go to the ground's owners, rather than the club.

Additionally, when the club doesn't own the ground, it has to pay rent, can be displaced by soccer matches, the pitch gets no recovery time, etc. Also, from memory, Salford, York & Wakefield have all been in disputes with their landlords - a situation which would not occur if the clubs owned their ground.

This is why the deal Castleford are hoping to get is a really special one. I just hope the project can survive the current economic mess facing retailers, who need to fund it.

SY Tiger

Post by SY Tiger » 21 Mar 2018, 23:19

Everything regarding the stadium build is moving forward. It is massive for Castleford so why throw something else into the mix :!:

SFOtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SFOtiger » 22 Mar 2018, 00:04

SY Tiger - not sure if your comment was to me or the article/article writer?

If its to me - then I just don't want to count the chickens before they hatch. I am quietly optimistic that it will get done, but hate to "jinx" it by taking it for granted - if that makes sense. I bought my brick back in the day, so think that at this point in time not getting too excited until the stadium is done is a coping strategy. I don't think I am alone in that :-).

Shameless
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Shameless » 22 Mar 2018, 20:31

With a 10,000 stadium season ticket sales will soar and renewals will be taken up. The logic will move away from ‘is it worth buying a ST when I will miss x number of games’ to ‘I need to buy a season ticket to ensure I can get in to the big derby games’.

ST sales are crucial, known early income makes a huge difference to cash flow, I think it’s wise to create the demand.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 23 Mar 2018, 00:13

good thinking shameless mate.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Askham Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Askham Tiger » 23 Mar 2018, 10:08

In an ideal world we could stay at WR and redevelop it but the funding just isn't available as it looks like most of the income goes on players and ground maintenance etc.

I was at Featherstone last Sunday, and shoot me down for this but they have a very impressive setup for a club of that level. I sometimes wish as fans we could've done something similar, buying the stands from Scarborough etc and volunteering to put them up and slowly improving WR through our own efforts. But the biggest drawback at WR is the corporate side, if a new stand were to be put up we'd need hospitality boxes which add a lot to the overall cost.

I have my doubts about the new stadium anyway, and will have till I'm stood in the new stadium. I mean, those on the York Press website doubt the new stadium over there will happen, and as you can see they have a dedicated twitter account which is regularly updated and show the foundations are going down for one of the stansd - way ahead of our own stadium I'm afraid:

https://twitter.com/ycfcstadium?lang=en

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 23 Mar 2018, 11:33

fords wrote:
Tamworth Tiger wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:It says a lot about the company building it for free for us. We don’t have a choice if we want a new stadium.
I agree but surely it is worth at least looking at the businrss case for filling in the corners and if it stacks up, borrow to do it as the club appears to be putting no money at all into the main project
How do you know the club aren't doing this or haven't already
Sorry just spotted this. I don’t, but that question applies to a massive number of threads on this forum and in a lot of cases people make big statements on what the club is or isn’t doing with little or no knowledge