My take on it

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

My take on it

Post by callum_walker » 14 Mar 2018, 17:10

My view on the signing of Liam Watts, a real coup - if he gets his head sorted: https://uk.blastingnews.com/sport/2018/ ... 32139.html

classysupercas3
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: My take on it

Post by classysupercas3 » 14 Mar 2018, 18:25

callum_walker wrote:My view on the signing of Liam Watts, a real coup - if he gets his head sorted: https://uk.blastingnews.com/sport/2018/ ... 32139.html
Good that Callum. All true

callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by callum_walker » 15 Mar 2018, 08:19

classysupercas3 wrote:
callum_walker wrote:My view on the signing of Liam Watts, a real coup - if he gets his head sorted: https://uk.blastingnews.com/sport/2018/ ... 32139.html
Good that Callum. All true

Thanks classysupercas3, I'm just waiting for spanishtiger to correct me on something ;)

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 15 Mar 2018, 11:11

Seeing as you asked ....

You don't need to put an apostrophe on the end of words ending in the letter s unless you wish to imply possession.

Saying " the then Robins' boss " or " the Tigers' boardroom " is like saying " my old Ford's Focus " or the Sony's playstation ".

You wouldn't buy a Lexus' LS 500 or an Olympus' camera.

You could write "Lexus' LS 500 is crap" or " the Lexus LS 500 is crap". But not "the Lexus' LS 500 is crap"

To compound this, in the first paragraph you say "the former Featherstone Lions junior" (correct), then later "the former Featherstone Lions' junior" (wrong).

"Castleford fans' ears" is correct as it implies a plural possessive.

No factual errors though !!!!!

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 15 Mar 2018, 12:33

Spanishtiger wrote: No factual errors though !!!!!
A step in the right direction Callum lad :dance: :dance:

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 15 Mar 2018, 13:04

Spanishtiger wrote:Seeing as you asked ....

You don't need to put an apostrophe on the end of words ending in the letter s unless you wish to imply possession.

Saying " the then Robins' boss " or " the Tigers' boardroom " is like saying " my old Ford's Focus " or the Sony's playstation ".

You wouldn't buy a Lexus' LS 500 or an Olympus' camera.

You could write "Lexus' LS 500 is crap" or " the Lexus LS 500 is crap". But not "the Lexus' LS 500 is crap"

To compound this, in the first paragraph you say "the former Featherstone Lions junior" (correct), then later "the former Featherstone Lions' junior" (wrong).

"Castleford fans' ears" is correct as it implies a plural possessive.

No factual errors though !!!!!
Just a minor error Spanish. An ellipsis has three dots, not four.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 15 Mar 2018, 14:06

Blooming heck - can't we just enjoy the articles.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Burratha
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Burratha » 15 Mar 2018, 14:08

Spanishtiger wrote:Saying " the then Robins' boss " or " the Tigers' boardroom " is like saying " my old Ford's Focus " or the Sony's playstation ".
In fairness to Callum, you could read both of those examples either way. I could, anyway. Both work for me.

The boss is the property of the Robins, or certainly could be considered as such. Same could be argued for the boardroom example; I suppose in the latter example, it's whether you're referring to the actual room itself, or the group of directors who sit in it :).

In any case, as HuddsTigers says - let's just enjoy someone writing something positive about the club for a change.

callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by callum_walker » 15 Mar 2018, 15:26

Burratha wrote:
Spanishtiger wrote:Saying " the then Robins' boss " or " the Tigers' boardroom " is like saying " my old Ford's Focus " or the Sony's playstation ".
In fairness to Callum, you could read both of those examples either way. I could, anyway. Both work for me.

The boss is the property of the Robins, or certainly could be considered as such. Same could be argued for the boardroom example; I suppose in the latter example, it's whether you're referring to the actual room itself, or the group of directors who sit in it :).

In any case, as HuddsTigers says - let's just enjoy someone writing something positive about the club for a change.

Exactly Burratha! That is what I was getting at with the two apostrophes. It is the Robins' boss and the boardroom is the Tigers'

classysupercas3
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classysupercas3 » 15 Mar 2018, 15:35

We all enjoy ur articles' Callum. Thanks mate

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 15 Mar 2018, 18:37

Can anyone remember William Caxton on here doing this kind of thing years ago? Whatever happened to him? Anyone?

callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by callum_walker » 15 Mar 2018, 21:35

classysupercas3 wrote:We all enjoy ur articles' Callum. Thanks mate
Thanks a lot mate, I appreciate it.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 15 Mar 2018, 22:48

I'm not a reincarnation of Caxton. I don't come on here to complain about posters confusing their, there and they're, or as and has, to and too etc.

Callum more or less asked me to find something wrong with his article.

Article being the operative word, Callum's stuff is put up on the internet as serious journalism written by a university graduate

Which is why I bother to point out any inaccuracies, be they factual or grammatical.

So far this month, amongst others, we've had Hardaker as our record signing, Cas not going to Wembley in 92 and the floodlit trophy being played in the early 90's.

Yes, we could all have made a mistake like these, I certainly have, but I don't publish my pecker-ups on a news website with the byline "expert in sport".

Anyways, I've decided that I'm too old and tired to be arguing the toss about any of this, so will from this point forward dedicate myself to ripping into Hudds.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 15 Mar 2018, 22:58

Spanishtiger wrote: so will from this point forward dedicate myself to ripping into Hudds.
Surely not?

callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by callum_walker » 15 Mar 2018, 23:13

Spanishtiger wrote:I'm not a reincarnation of Caxton. I don't come on here to complain about posters confusing their, there and they're, or as and has, to and too etc.

Callum more or less asked me to find something wrong with his article.

Article being the operative word, Callum's stuff is put up on the internet as serious journalism written by a university graduate

Which is why I bother to point out any inaccuracies, be they factual or grammatical.

So far this month, amongst others, we've had Hardaker as our record signing, Cas not going to Wembley in 92 and the floodlit trophy being played in the early 90's.

Yes, we could all have made a mistake like these, I certainly have, but I don't publish my pecker-ups on a news website with the byline "expert in sport".

Anyways, I've decided that I'm too old and tired to be arguing the toss about any of this, so will from this point forward dedicate myself to ripping into Hudds.
Fair enough, although I didn't write that I was in expert in sport :oops: it's the title that comes with 50k readers, believe me I know it's embarrassing