FULL BACK

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: FULL BACK

Post by old cas lass » 15 Mar 2018, 10:01

Show 'n' Go wrote:Whilst I do rate Evalds, I'm quite happy with Benny at the back, he's starting to show glimpses of what he can do, give him a few weeks and a dry track and I bet he will shine!

(don't quote me on this though....)
The way the weathers going I don’t think we’ll have a dry track until June.
could be to late then.
Oh for a bit of sun and warmth.

Saulbic

Post by Saulbic » 15 Mar 2018, 13:21

Any evidence to actually suggest evalds is coming or is it a nothing rumour? Wouldnt want to see Benny or jy go, think on Sunday Benny looked fine and will only continue to improve so for me there's no worry for a fullback.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 15 Mar 2018, 13:29

Roberts just doesn't look comfortable at the back and as far too many mistakes in his game and you just know he would let us down come a big game.
The squad shaping up well we just need that missing piece at the back to put us in a position to challenge again this year and beyond.
I also feel we will miss Roberts running game come the dryer tracks from the halves where he as built up a solid partnership with Gale over recent years.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 15 Mar 2018, 13:55

Roberts handling and ball security look truly amateur at times when he's at FB. He looks like he's going to drop it on kick return impact or approach. To me anyway!

I think playing himnthere is hurting his confidence, and we all know from experience that he is a confidence player?

I genuinely would bring a full back in as soon as I could if I were the boss. I'd even try a young lad there.

I'm telling you now - if we do get a good fullback, I'd have a bet on silverware.

Anyone know anything concrete about evalds? (I don't)
Audacter Et Sincere

classysupercas3
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classysupercas3 » 15 Mar 2018, 15:38

Mysterio wrote:Roberts handling and ball security look truly amateur at times when he's at FB. He looks like he's going to drop it on kick return impact or approach. To me anyway!

I think playing himnthere is hurting his confidence, and we all know from experience that he is a confidence player?

I genuinely would bring a full back in as soon as I could if I were the boss. I'd even try a young lad there.

I'm telling you now - if we do get a good fullback, I'd have a bet on silverware.

Anyone know anything concrete about evalds? (I don't)
I honestly havnt heard anybody say Roberts is ever gona be good enough except Powell. We need full back asap

Dazzyb
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dazzyb » 15 Mar 2018, 15:45

By playing Roberts at fullback we are losing in the halves also. I’d like Cas to get a full back and let Roberts and Ellis fight for stand off. I really think we could go one better than last year then, wig the inclusion of WATTS and arguably one of the best packs in super league .

usacas
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by usacas » 15 Mar 2018, 16:10

We have 4 players who have/can play Fullback, Jy, Sticks, Turner, Eden. Surely they are the cover for the Fullback position if needed. Why persist in playing Benny there and disrupting the halves? I guess Darryl knows why but I'm finding it difficult to comprehend.

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 15 Mar 2018, 16:28

For me ellis is playing some really good rugby and dont see benny been the answer at 6 imo at the moment he has always been hot and cold player so hed be behind ellis against salford thought benny had his best game he seemed to get to the line more than he has for the ball the main issue been when he has hes lost his footing. Going forward when edens back just maybe he will be our best option at the back if sticks or jy can put in some solid performances on the wing, What ever the answer is i think its plain to see that we need a full back to complete this squad and i still say the best one and a realistic one is Alex walker and fits the powell way, Young english player with bags of talent and still lots of improvement imo

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 15 Mar 2018, 17:18

I think Benny needs drier pitches. Until then, we'll not see his best football.

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 15 Mar 2018, 17:19

Just to clarify, Benny made 1 error in 80 minutes rugby on Sunday playing the most difficult position on the field. Even Billy slater makes at least one error per game! He was sound under every high ball (except one), his defence was faultless and his kick returns were solid making good yards every time. Also in the last two games he’s pulled off two world class try saving tackles. I can’t think of many that would have taken Junior Sau down running at full pelt 5 yards out like Benny did. He’s growing in confidence every game and looks more and more comfortable. Get off his case and open your eyes to the improvement he is making. I sometimes doubt some posters on here actually go to games or whether they just re hash the rubbish they read on the Facebook pages. Rant over!

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 15 Mar 2018, 18:34

Correct.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 15 Mar 2018, 18:54

If you want to see how Benny has improved you only need to look at his fitness. In game 1 down the lane, v Widnes, he had his hands on his hips and blowing out his backside for most of the game.

In the last few games he's looked as energetic as ever, probably helped by not carrying the ball at 2nd tackle every time. As people have mentioned - he's also done some great defending and looked a lot more comfortable. He's getting there.

Oh, and I'd also flag that his communication was excellent on Sunday. He was very vocal and shouting at his defenders. Good to see.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Dixie D
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dixie D » 15 Mar 2018, 19:21

Time to lay off Benny, he is getting better each week and needs some support. Taken some balls for him to take the mantle from Zac.

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 15 Mar 2018, 19:26

Benny has made the 4th most errors in superleague this year. May sound bad until you realise....

4 of the top 5 are full backs
3 of the top 5 are recognised full backs and have done the job for years
1 is Jake Mamo who everyone in superleague raves about
1 is Gareth oBrien who we tried to sign for full back

For a stand in full back, he's doing a grand job.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 15 Mar 2018, 20:11

InTheKnow wrote:Benny has made the 4th most errors in superleague this year. May sound bad until you realise....

4 of the top 5 are full backs
3 of the top 5 are recognised full backs and have done the job for years
1 is Jake Mamo who everyone in superleague raves about
1 is Gareth oBrien who we tried to sign for full back

For a stand in full back, he's doing a grand job.
And that the players who made the most errors in SL last season were:
1. Mark Percival.
2. Albert Kelly
3. Greg Eden
4. Mahe Fonua.

da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 16 Mar 2018, 09:16

Benny had the shortest pre-season of any player I believe to then come in a play in the most demanding role fitness wise that must on here are happy to identify full back as.

Let’s be honest about him;
He’s never looked great on poor pitches or at the beginning of a season.
He makes errors and daft plays in the halves and from hooker.
He was identified as a match winner/loser with some of his plays before he signed.

Give him chance to settle into a new role, build fitness and confidence.

Long live the Tigers!!!

Bolton-tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bolton-tiger » 16 Mar 2018, 12:38

Well from last night when jon got asked about evalds coming to cas he dodged the question abit and had abit of a giggle so might be some truth behind the evalds question after all

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 17 Mar 2018, 12:15

Evald's was MOM last night against Hull, Salford fans saying his performance was a cut above everyone else, Hull fans are in agreeance with them. Probably added a few more quid on to his value, if Salford are ready to offload.

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 21 Mar 2018, 15:51

reports suggest Richard owen playing well at full back for Doncaster on is come back :-k

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 21 Mar 2018, 15:56

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo