Liam Watts

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Wildie
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Liam Watts

Post by Wildie » 14 Mar 2018, 10:37

No doubt you are getting a good prop - in the top 3 or 4 in the league when on his game. But, this move was instigated by Hull FC, wanting him out of the club. There has been persistent off-field disciplinary issues which the senior group of players were getting frustrated about. For years, Cas fans have told me that he is always in Xscape drinking, and when the Hull players self-impose drinking bans during the season (apart from pre-approved weekend's off), yet Watts is always on the beer, which then affects turning up to training on time, and causing issues internally, then like the Hull Daily Mail headline says "Unity over Quality".

We are well stocked on props, will allow Abdull to come in at 13 as he looked really classy against Leeds, and we have some serious cap space for a mid season signing potentially before the 8's.

I hope he knuckles down and get's some form to put pressure on England selector's, but that is 2 club's now (3 if you count Cas first time around) that have cut their losses and told him to find elsewhere. Wasn't so long ago you all thought DP could change Zak.....

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 14 Mar 2018, 10:44

Id be amazed if any player lets powell down in the forseable but like you say wildie have to wait and see
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 14 Mar 2018, 11:23

Regarding Wattsy's disciplinary record, has anyone ever thought that it might not just be down to the player? What im trying to get at is, Hull are a big physical side, especially their pack. They are a side that base themselves on bullying teams, Watts being the main enforcer in their side. Look at Radford, he wasn't exactly a saint on the field, i remember a game against Leeds where he started offloading punches on Ryan Baileys head whilst he was on the floor. I find it quite hypocritical that Radford would out Watts like he has, knowing that he himself was that sort of player in his day. Watts does like to flirt with the side of going too far, but a part of me feels this has been coached in to him by Radford.

Either way, we have a hell of a signing on our hands here.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 14 Mar 2018, 11:47

Wildie wrote:No doubt you are getting a good prop - in the top 3 or 4 in the league when on his game. But, this move was instigated by Hull FC, wanting him out of the club. There has been persistent off-field disciplinary issues which the senior group of players were getting frustrated about. For years, Cas fans have told me that he is always in Xscape drinking, and when the Hull players self-impose drinking bans during the season (apart from pre-approved weekend's off), yet Watts is always on the beer, which then affects turning up to training on time, and causing issues internally, then like the Hull Daily Mail headline says "Unity over Quality".

We are well stocked on props, will allow Abdull to come in at 13 as he looked really classy against Leeds, and we have some serious cap space for a mid season signing potentially before the 8's.

I hope he knuckles down and get's some form to put pressure on England selector's, but that is 2 club's now (3 if you count Cas first time around) that have cut their losses and told him to find elsewhere. Wasn't so long ago you all thought DP could change Zak.....
I imagine in light of what has happened there is a good chance he will sort himself out, at least in the short term. Lessons learned from both parties to an extent. There is an element of complacency on his part too, knowing he was a top dog at Hull and retaining his place despite his discrepencies. Where as now he has been publically outed again. Will definitely reign it in in a new environment with a different coach, set up and group/ethos. Whether he will sustain it over a number of years is a different matter. However, he is still a young prop (despite his experience) and he will obviously mature on and off the pitch. This could be a great move for him. Time will tell but I am very pleased with the acquisition and reasonably confident we can get our money's worth out of him.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 14 Mar 2018, 11:54

Didnt we have all these concerns and thoughts about Hardaker? If Watts can be more disciplined he will be a great addition. If not we know what will happen.

Unfortunately sports people are one photo away from a suspension, ban or sacking.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 14 Mar 2018, 12:24

When do we expect confirmation? Express tomo?

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 14 Mar 2018, 12:30

RonnieGibbs'forearm wrote:When do we expect confirmation? Express tomo?
I wonder if it will be Saturday.....
Missed fixtures against Leeds and Salford as a Hull player
Misses Sunday against Wigan for us.

3 games are cleared from his suspension (if its within the rules)

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 14 Mar 2018, 12:32

heritage1926 wrote: i remember a game against Leeds where he started offloading punches on Ryan Baileys head whilst he was on the floor.
Radford went up in my estimations for giving Bailey a good beating. He never took liberties again when he played a team with Radford in it.

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 14 Mar 2018, 12:38

nottinghamtiger wrote:
heritage1926 wrote: i remember a game against Leeds where he started offloading punches on Ryan Baileys head whilst he was on the floor.
Radford went up in my estimations for giving Bailey a good beating. He never took liberties again when he played a team with Radford in it.
Also add to that Bailey was thrashing his elbows about - karma...

Keithy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Keithy » 14 Mar 2018, 13:13

Signing confirmed on twitter and Cas website, 3 year deal.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 14 Mar 2018, 13:24

Great news

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 14 Mar 2018, 13:27

Get in! Fantastic news that :clap: :clap:

Dixie D
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dixie D » 14 Mar 2018, 13:29

Yes Cas, great to see us not resting on our laurels but adding to an already formidable pack.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 14 Mar 2018, 13:31

The fact we can attract these big names and get them over the line, when bigger and richer clubs are also pursuing the same targets, is testimant to how far we have come as a club. It would of been very easy for Watts to go to Toronto for the cash and be with his best mate Westerman, but it's good to see someone with ambition.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 14 Mar 2018, 13:35

I don't think Watts can change his attitude but both he and Cas will be well aware of the consequences should he transgress off the field. Carney and Hardaker prove we do not accept irresponsible behavior.

Over to you Watto!
Spreading the Cas gene pool

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 14 Mar 2018, 13:35

We now have our prop.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 14 Mar 2018, 13:37

ERG2012 wrote:

No it's not. One fixture per round. Ever since dual registration came in. If my memory serves me right it was the same when we had a reserve team, one or the other counted.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 14 Mar 2018, 13:39

ERG2012 wrote:

No it's not. One fixture per round. Ever since dual registration came in. If my memory serves me right it was the same when we had a reserve team, one or the other counted. So he'll miss the Leeds game but I suppose that on the bright side he's got two weeks to bed into the squad.

classysupercas3
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classysupercas3 » 14 Mar 2018, 13:43

Brilliant news cas.thats our big prop we asked for

Easy Tiger 2
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Easy Tiger 2 » 14 Mar 2018, 13:51

Delighted with this signing,just what we need in what is already a strong and powerful pack but this gives it the X Factor.

Hope he gets with our tightly knit squad and atmosphere as if he does he will have his best years with us and maybe England!

Very surprised by a 3 year deal though given that he has a bit of a black cloud with regards to on and off field behaviour, would guess we had to do that to match his offer from Toronto but bit of a gamble on length of contract?

Hell of a player though,onwards and upwards!!

Is there a full back out there?