Zak Hardaker

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Spanishtiger
Verified

Re: Zak Hardaker

Post by Spanishtiger » 20 Feb 2018, 11:42

What makes it even more unbelievable is that we bought Crooks for 150k in the same season. Plus all those on TT's list over the next couple of years. Plus Tony Morrison and Ian Smales and Andy Fisher. TBF Singe was an absolute bargain, think we paid 30 grand for him.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 20 Feb 2018, 12:38

You can look at the ZAK signing another way , we would not be even talking about ZAK if the snake was still with us , bargain buys what about Jack Austin £500 from either Wakefield or Bramley

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 20 Feb 2018, 13:15

Spanishtiger wrote:What makes it even more unbelievable is that we bought Crooks for 150k in the same season. Plus all those on TT's list over the next couple of years. Plus Tony Morrison and Ian Smales and Andy Fisher. TBF Singe was an absolute bargain, think we paid 30 grand for him.
Cas did seem to splash the cash about when Dave Poulter was in charge.

masher

Post by masher » 20 Feb 2018, 13:16

I think transfer fees were more common in RL pre bosman. If you wanted to sign a player you had to pay a fee to his current club. If i remember correctly the option of waiting until a contract had run out and signing them for free was not available.
Also many players were not full time professionals, although the transfer fees were higher the wage bill would have been considerably lower i would imagine.

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 20 Feb 2018, 13:33

Plus you got more for your money then,it went a whole lot further

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 20 Feb 2018, 15:35

That's right masher, players were contracted under a system called retain and transfer which basically meant that the only way you could change clubs was to request a transfer and hope that the clubs could agree a price or force it to a tribunal to set the fee. I think Kelvin Skerrett was the first player to sign a contract stipulating that he would be a free agent at the end of the contract period, which is why he went from Bradford to Wigan for nothing.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 20 Feb 2018, 17:14

If we have let him go before a decision is made re a ban, then that is utterly ridiculous. Even more so if (and it is still a big if) we have let him go without commanding a fee or a swap/replacement.
Would be one of the worst decisions in living memory from a club point of view.
I can't buy into the 6-12 game ban rumours being touted about but 2 people have told me the same story who seemed quite adamant the source was credible. But we will have to wait and see. If he has gone to Wigan and it is anything but a 2 year ban then will be a poor and costly decision.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 20 Feb 2018, 18:31

We would still hold his registration though - even if we have sacked him. Wigan would still have to pay us for that although I cannot see it costing them much.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 20 Feb 2018, 20:41

Tigerade wrote:We would still hold his registration though - even if we have sacked him. Wigan would still have to pay us for that although I cannot see it costing them much.
This could be the most important factor in the entire affair........?

If we can prevent Zak / Wigan doing us over then we SHOULD.

What kind of sport allows a player an increase in salary as part of a drug ban
Audacter Et Sincere

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 20 Feb 2018, 20:45

Tigerade wrote:We would still hold his registration though - even if we have sacked him. Wigan would still have to pay us for that although I cannot see it costing them much.
I doubt we would. You can’t sack someone and then prevent them from working elsewhere!
On a wider point, I think we’ve lost sight a bit here. Hardaker is a top class player, but his next brain fart is always just around the corner.
Homophonic abuse, assault, class A, sent home from England duty.....and they are only the ones we know about.
Has he actually gone two years without some kind of problem?
He’s a ticking time bomb in terms of screwing up and it’s almost inevitable he’ll do something else equally as stupid very quickly. Is suspect he’ll end up in prison eventually.
He has been a ‘changed man’ so many times now. Leopards and spots and all that.....
Why do we want someone who is always a day away from pressing the self-destruct button - again? Get rid and use his salary on another full back. His replacement might not be as good, but at least he’s not guaranteed to screw up in the same way.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 20 Feb 2018, 21:41

This

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tiger53 » 20 Feb 2018, 23:26

nottinghamtiger wrote:
I doubt we would. You can’t sack someone and then prevent them from working elsewhere!
On a wider point, I think we’ve lost sight a bit here. Hardaker is a top class player, but his next brain fart is always just around the corner.
Homophonic abuse, assault, class A, sent home from England duty.....and they are only the ones we know about.
He’s a ticking time bomb in terms of screwing up and it’s almost inevitable he’ll do something else equally as stupid very quickly. Is suspect he’ll end up in prison eventually.
He has been a ‘changed man’ so many times now. Leopards and spots and all that.....
Why do we want someone who is always a day away from pressing the self-destruct button - again? Get rid and use his salary on another full back. His replacement might not be as good, but at least he’s not guaranteed to screw up in the same way.
Don't forget though. If he signs for Wigan, the powers that be will treat those as minor indecsretians that need to be overlooked. :D
Last edited by Tiger53 on 20 Feb 2018, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 20 Feb 2018, 23:29

Tiger53 wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:
Don't forget though. If he signs for Wigan, the powers that be will treat those as minor indecsretians that will be overlooked. :D
Maybe, but I don’t really care. As long as he is no longer involved at Cas I don’t care where he goes to screw up next.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 21 Feb 2018, 07:03

And this......

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 21 Feb 2018, 13:14

His next "screw up" will probably be scoring the winning try in the GF against Cas.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

brodie123

Post by brodie123 » 21 Feb 2018, 16:09

@Nottingham Tiger, well written, It is alleged that he had a lot more chances at Leeds than was reported, a truly talented payer if there ever was, but unfortunately he keeps making mistakes. Looking at any contract there are two parties in a contract and I assume if any party try and break that contract then the contract will be seen as null and void. Would someone on such a high salary settle for a job with a sponsor on something like 25% of his contact, the answer will be no,and if he has been told that this is his new salary take it or leave it then simply it appears his/ a contract has been broken. He can walk away. The alternative can Cas employ him and pay him his wage while he cannot play rugby common sense suggests not. I think both parties would have a right under contractual law to break the contract.
I heard Wigan was after him in January and my source was from a director at a super league club. That same person told me about him working for one of the clubs sponsors.

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 21 Feb 2018, 17:10

Hopefully he doesn't escape a long term ban and leave us as a club looking ridiculous.

I would expect us to be on the lookout for a full back sooner rather than later.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 21 Feb 2018, 17:14

I am personally suprised to see us sack Zak, worse players in the past have had chance after chance. Forget what he's done at Leeds, he started a new slate when he signed for us. On his day, he is world class, no questions about it and he could probably get in pretty much any team in the world after last years showing. Can't help but feel really let down and deflated about the situation. This must be how Leeds fans felt.

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: Dettoriman

Post by dettoriman » 21 Feb 2018, 17:17

There really isn't a positive outcome to this.

If he gets 2 years. We've not gained anything. Just not given ourselves a chance to recoup our losses.

If he gets anything less we look utterly ridiculous.

Just got to hope we are seriously looking for full backs. With his wage officially off our salary cap now.
Loyalty Costs Nothing !