Tiger Talk Radio.... A plea from the heart

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Tiger Talk Radio.... A plea from the heart

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 12 Feb 2018, 09:37

Incorrect. Dave does it voluntary but the other guy doesnt. Dave is the one that does most of the work in putting things together.

I know for a FACT that it is currently a closed shop with the commentary and summarising. Dave does the summarising himself.

It is run from a community studio where everyone that works there does it on a volunteer basis........except for one person. Been like that for the last 2/3 years.

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 12 Feb 2018, 10:03

well i love the tigers talk commentary but on a slightly different note, why does the lead commentator insist on calling Jesse Sene-Lefao : - Jesse Sene-LEFOW or is everyone else pronouncing Jesse's surname wrong?

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 12 Feb 2018, 11:51

Make your own mind up why?

He used to call Solomona Danny all the time. He gets things wrong quite often.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 12 Feb 2018, 13:18

There can't be many radio commentators at the game so I would've thought positions in the press area were a priority for the radio guys with the written word possible from any angle.

All the more reason for a modern stadium with adequate facilities but I do enjoy Tiger Talk all the same.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 12 Feb 2018, 13:23

Definitely think Harvey wiles needs to be replaced, he's really very poor indeed in many aspects and you can sense Dave's frustration with him and Dave making allowances for his frailties.

I appreciate that this is a voluntary thing, and that I'm not paying for the service.
However, it would be fabulous experience for an up and coming student journalist to cut their teeth - Harvey really has had his time and would still be valuable going to the clock!
Sorry Harvey I have appreciated listening st times, but time to go matey.
Audacter Et Sincere

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 12 Feb 2018, 13:29

the commentators on radio leeds said the glass had been removed from the commentary box & it was blowing an arctic gale through the box?

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 12 Feb 2018, 13:34

The Radio Leeds guy also said he couldnt see the clock to be fair but he seemed to get the required info from somewhere.

vandeveldtsbaldhead

Post by vandeveldtsbaldhead » 12 Feb 2018, 14:02

[quote="Lofthouse Tiger"]They both do a great job with not much support and all voluntary[/quote]

Dave does it voluntary but the other one doesnt. He wouldnt do it if he didnt get paid.

As for no other support the one that does the commentary wont alliow anyone else to do it and threatened to quit if anyone else wanted to "Support" them.

Dave is a good fella and does most of the work.[/quote]

You are so out of touch. Tiger Talk Radio is run privately by Dave Williams, who pays for the hosting, Harvey does it on a vlountary basis, and has never been paid.
The havent you use Five Towns FM for over 3 years. You need to get your facts right.
These guys do afantastic job, with over 10,000 listeners world wide, praising them for their work
They are also applauded by castleford Tigers themselves, for providing a good service.
Mis pronuncations of names and not knowing what time it is . shouldnt detract from the work those guys do.
Sounds Lofthouse Tiger as though you have a grudge to bear.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 12 Feb 2018, 14:21

Ok, let me put you right again. It was £50 per game that he took, initially asked for £100. So you are very wrong. I would not say he was paid without knowing my FACTS.

I never said they didnt do a good job but if you pay someone to do a job you want them to do it right. Not knowing the players name is poor. The clock is not their fault, just a crap stand with a terrible view from the press area.

I know the amount of work Dave has put in and he has had all kinds of problems with people to get where things are. He is the main reason TT is around. Many would have given it up.

As for not using 5towns well I was up there with Dave in the studio and that wasnt over 3 years ago. I also arranged a generous sponsorship package for them to continue their work. It was purely down to 1 person that it was withdrawn and that wasnt Dave.

Are there enough FACTS there for you? Believe me I dont make things up and I dont have any grudges at all. Far from it.

SeniorMoors

Post by SeniorMoors » 12 Feb 2018, 15:18

I often listen in to Tiger Talk Radio. It's great that every game (bar Catalans away) is available. Kudos to everyone involved.

My only piece of constructive criticism is this: please tell us (Harvey) where the play is taking place on the pitch. He does it for some plays but I often find myself thinking 'where was he tackled?!' or 'how far away from the line are we?!'. For radio commentary of rugby league, it's a vital piece of information that needs to be constantly stated!

I appreciate these guys do it for the love of the game and are offering a great service to fans (especially ones based overseas like me). Only trying to help them and the listeners.

djdave
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by djdave » 12 Feb 2018, 15:26

Ok let’s get the facts out of the way first..
When I first had the idea of doing this I knew that I couldn’t do it myself as i had never done commentary before, I knew Harvey from him coming into one of my quiz nights and asked him his advice on how to go about, being a Cas fan he could see what I was trying to do . At the time he was getting paid by radio Leeds for his commentary, I asked him if I could raise some money if he would be willing to come on board and help me out, I couldn’t really expect him to lose money by doing this.. so I went about raising money from Andrew Robinson, Ben Parker and mainly the fans.. I personally put a lot of money into it too..For the first season Harvey did get £50 a game, As the money become harder to come by and the obstacles I met from the rfl requesting £3k for a license fee, he very generously agreed to do it for free..I personally have never been paid a penny for doing it. The club now see us as a valuable part of the match day experience and cover all expenses associated with the running of the radio.Neither of us get paid by the club . we are not connected with 5 Towns radio and haven’t been for a couple of years now..Harvey is an accomplished commentator and is still used on a weekly basis by sky sports..He does occasionally make mistakes.. we all do.. The clock is an issue but it is the same for all commentators .. you just can’t see it from the back row of the stand.. I guess you’re never going to please everybody but I know for sure we have a loyal set of listeners who have become dependant on what we bring every match day..our listeners have grown from a few hundred into many thousands per game..I’m extremely proud of what we’ve achieved with this.. In fact I have been approached by several other clubs who can see the value of what we do for Castleford Tigers and the potential it has to bring valuable sponsorship into the club..There are going to be some changes to the radio in due course and some exciting enhancements to what we do...and of course there are other radio stations you can listen to if you don’t like what we do..

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 12 Feb 2018, 15:34

Maybe you believe me now vandeveldtsbaldhead? I wont wait for an apology.

Keep up the good work Dave. Nice to hear things are going well.

WallTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by WallTiger » 12 Feb 2018, 15:37

Keep up the good work Dave, I’ve loved listening to your commentaries when I’ve not been able to get to games. Seems as a group of fans at the minute we’re looking at every avenue to have a dig at the club and quite frankly it’s becoming embarrassing.

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 12 Feb 2018, 15:47

djdave wrote:Ok let’s get the facts out of the way first..
When I first had the idea of doing this I knew that I couldn’t do it myself as i had never done commentary before, I knew Harvey from him coming into one of my quiz nights and asked him his advice on how to go about, being a Cas fan he could see what I was trying to do . At the time he was getting paid by radio Leeds for his commentary, I asked him if I could raise some money if he would be willing to come on board and help me out, I couldn’t really expect him to lose money by doing this.. so I went about raising money from Andrew Robinson, Ben Parker and mainly the fans.. I personally put a lot of money into it too..For the first season Harvey did get £50 a game, As the money become harder to come by and the obstacles I met from the rfl requesting £3k for a license fee, he very generously agreed to do it for free..I personally have never been paid a penny for doing it. The club now see us as a valuable part of the match day experience and cover all expenses associated with the running of the radio.Neither of us get paid by the club . we are not connected with 5 Towns radio and haven’t been for a couple of years now..Harvey is an accomplished commentator and is still used on a weekly basis by sky sports..He does occasionally make mistakes.. we all do.. The clock is an issue but it is the same for all commentators .. you just can’t see it from the back row of the stand.. I guess you’re never going to please everybody but I know for sure we have a loyal set of listeners who have become dependant on what we bring every match day..our listeners have grown from a few hundred into many thousands per game..I’m extremely proud of what we’ve achieved with this.. In fact I have been approached by several other clubs who can see the value of what we do for Castleford Tigers and the potential it has to bring valuable sponsorship into the club..There are going to be some changes to the radio in due course and some exciting enhancements to what we do...and of course there are other radio stations you can listen to if you don’t like what we do..
Keep up the good work. It's great having access to uninterrupted commentry when I can't make a game.

The clock issue is pretty minor in the scheme of things. That said I would have thought the club could have fixed it really cheaply (fix a wireless camera pointing at the clock linked to a screen in view of the commentary positions)

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 12 Feb 2018, 15:59

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:Maybe you believe me now vandeveldtsbaldhead? I wont wait for an apology.

Keep up the good work Dave. Nice to hear things are going well.
As I said before: you are wrong. Neither Dave or Harvey get paid. It is totally voluntary. I wont wait for an apology either.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 12 Feb 2018, 16:09

It maybe now but it definitely wasnt. Read Daves post, it clearly says so. It cant be that difficult to see it.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 12 Feb 2018, 16:32

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:They both do a great job with not much support and all voluntary

Dave does it voluntary but the other one doesnt. He wouldnt do it if he didnt get paid.

As for no other support the one that does the commentary wont alliow anyone else to do it and threatened to quit if anyone else wanted to "Support" them.

Dave is a good fella and does most of the work.[/quote]

You clearly claim this as fact when it isn't. It's not hard to see is it

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 12 Feb 2018, 17:26

Just to break up this little squabble for a minute I just want to say that, even though it's not perfect, I think that they do a great job providing us all with game coverage when we can't make it for whatever reason. Keep up the good work Dave

SFOtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SFOtiger » 12 Feb 2018, 17:41

Being 5000 miles away I don’t get to many games. See some of the Sky games, but not all are picked up over here.

Love listening to Dave and Harvey for all the games I can’t watch. The odd slip up with the other correcting, and the humour about the scoreboard clock just add to the charisma for me.

If anyone with a view wants to text or message Dave on Twitter, maybe that would give them more idea on the game time. Otherwise “It’s been 45 minutes on my watch” will just have to do for now.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 12 Feb 2018, 17:59

derbystiger wrote:Just to break up this little squabble for a minute I just want to say that, even though it's not perfect, I think that they do a great job providing us all with game coverage when we can't make it for whatever reason. Keep up the good work Dave
Agree mate. I am at most games but from the times I have listened I thought they do a grand job. Appreciate it.