New ticket system ?

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
legionited
League One Player
League One Player

Re: New ticket system ?

Post by legionited » 12 Feb 2018, 13:02

I went in via the Princess Street and got in within 5 minutes at around 3:15. I thought the queues looked a bit longer for the WRE turnstiles but didn't realise they were moving as slow as is being reported.

I am also curious to know what the QR code scanner does when it scans the card because a few years ago there was a similar system in place where we had membership cards with barcodes on that apparently when scanned did nothing but beep to confirm that a barcode was read. I remember hearing that the old barcode scanners couldn't tell a membership card barcode from a barcode on a tin of beans.

In theory I would expect these QR code scanners to read the card, confirm the ID of the holder and also confirm that this is the only time it has been scanned for entry to the ground. Obviously the latter would require that all of the scanners are connected to a network.

Burratha
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Burratha » 12 Feb 2018, 13:25

legionited wrote:In theory I would expect these QR code scanners to read the card, confirm the ID of the holder and also confirm that this is the only time it has been scanned for entry to the ground. Obviously the latter would require that all of the scanners are connected to a network.
Exactly. An iPod Touch has only WiFi (maybe Bluetooth) connectivity, which would in turn need a (preferably) secure WiFi network connecting all turnstiles in order for a central system/platform to be able to appropriately audit the cards as they're scanned. I don't think this is the case at the ground. I'm happy to be corrected, however.

legionited
League One Player
League One Player

Post by legionited » 12 Feb 2018, 13:47

Burratha wrote:
legionited wrote:In theory I would expect these QR code scanners to read the card, confirm the ID of the holder and also confirm that this is the only time it has been scanned for entry to the ground. Obviously the latter would require that all of the scanners are connected to a network.
Exactly. An iPod Touch has only WiFi (maybe Bluetooth) connectivity, which would in turn need a (preferably) secure WiFi network connecting all turnstiles in order for a central system/platform to be able to appropriately audit the cards as they're scanned. I don't think this is the case at the ground. I'm happy to be corrected, however.
I suppose there's also the potential that each scanner downloads it's data to a system afterwards and in theory any duplicated cards could be spotted then. I'm in favour of moving forward with technology and generally happy with the switch but somewhat curious as to how they work.

Nu Shooze
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nu Shooze » 12 Feb 2018, 14:00

Bring back the cards with numbered squares to scribble out. Problem sorted. :D

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 12 Feb 2018, 16:09

Some one as said gates for season ticket holders ONLY, this to me is the most sensible way to go about it, the club needs the money up front from the season ticket holders but they must make it easy to gain entrance

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 12 Feb 2018, 17:37

Fortunately mine scanned straight away, but others in front of me were having problems. I'm in agreement that season ticket holder only gates would make sense

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 12 Feb 2018, 18:00

Was it advertised that a new ticket system was in place and fans advised to get there a bit early in case there were any teething problems?

Could have been on the website, C&P and in the shop/office when tickets were sold.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 12 Feb 2018, 18:07

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:Was it advertised that a new ticket system was in place and fans advised to get there a bit early in case there were any teething problems?

Could have been on the website, C&P and in the shop/office when tickets were sold.
Fairly obvious to season ticket holders wasn't it :lol: :lol:

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 12 Feb 2018, 18:12

I got in at 2.45 with no problems but heard that around kick-off time some of the ST gates had to let people in by them just showing their cards and walking through to speed up the operation and thus delaying the kick off time. These who walked through were not scanned and therefore the crowd was much bigger than the 7,200 announced.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 12 Feb 2018, 18:38

Tigerade wrote:I got in at 2.45 with no problems but heard that around kick-off time some of the ST gates had to let people in by them just showing their cards and walking through to speed up the operation and thus delaying the kick off time. These who walked through were not scanned and therefore the crowd was much bigger than the 7,200 announced.
Pretty sure that if this was the case, the club will have kept a tally for health and safety and tax reasons (oh and turnstile clicks). Therefore, I think the attendance figure is probably accurate.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Post by 1950 » 12 Feb 2018, 20:11

Just to inform people, the turnstiles are computerised and each entry is recorded back in main office this is so at any time they know how many people have entered the ground.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 12 Feb 2018, 20:23

Most grounds with a card system have unmanned entrances, just put your card into a slot where it is scanned and you are allowed in. Probably too big an outlay for the Old Girl, so why introduce cards at all?

philipjkelly

New Ticket System?

Post by philipjkelly » 14 Feb 2018, 22:03

We use this kind of system for our events at work and anyone who has used eventbrite will be used to a similar set up.

Once the QR code is scanned it'll check against the list of ST holders - that's when you'll get the green or red light showing up on the hand held scanner. I noticed on my scan that the scanning device came up with a green screen, my name, type of ST and the words valid ticket (or something similar).

Where delays could happen is if the phone / wifi signal or whatever's being used is under some pressure so the time taken to check the signal is slower than it should be. If it's working off 3G then as the phone signal has never been strong at the ground then this could slow it down.

Someone's mentioned about photocopying the QR code. You probably could do that and get away with it, but when the real ST holder turns up the system will pick up that that code's already been ticked off the list of ST holders and the valid ticket screen won't show up.

In principle the system should work and I'm sure the club will learn from Sunday to speed up the process.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 15 Feb 2018, 09:47

I am not up to date with new technology for scanning tickets, but until it is sorted the eases way to me is to make more gates available for season ticket holders only , when we have the season ticket holders plus all pre paid tickets from both clubs trying to go through the same turnstiles you are going to have congestion

Aid
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Aid » 15 Feb 2018, 10:06

The easiest and quickest way to get into the Cas ground is by paying cash. Walked past empty cash turnstiles and heaving card/ticket turnstiles. So perhaps one way to ease the congestion is by reducing the number of pay on the day turnstiles.
cum on you Ford

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 15 Feb 2018, 10:26

Aid wrote:The easiest and quickest way to get into the Cas ground is by paying cash. Walked past empty cash turnstiles and heaving card/ticket turnstiles. So perhaps one way to ease the congestion is by reducing the number of pay on the day turnstiles.
At some other grounds you can't pay cash on the gate because all the gates are ticket only. I think HKR and Wakey are 2 of them. You have to go to an office to buy a home or away ticket then go to the appropriate ticket only gate.
Is this system worth considering for us to try?

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 15 Feb 2018, 12:16

And Salford
My experience at both HullKR and Salford when turning up without a ticket have been poor
I stoped bothering to go to Wakey a few years ago when they started to pen away fans up like cattle

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 15 Feb 2018, 12:59

Aid wrote:The easiest and quickest way to get into the Cas ground is by paying cash. Walked past empty cash turnstiles and heaving card/ticket turnstiles. So perhaps one way to ease the congestion is by reducing the number of pay on the day turnstiles.
I agree entirely with the above, most of us buy season tickets to support the club knowing full well that we will most likely miss a few games during the season making the season tickets more expensive than pay as you enter, season ticket holders want looking after, MORE GATES SEASON TICKET HOLDERS ONLY PLEASE

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 15 Feb 2018, 17:19

If we averaged 9,000 last season then "Most of us" dont buy a season ticket as we maybe had 3,000 ish at a guess. This means more people have to queue than a ST holder. Why would you need to make this worse by "Looking after" season ticket holders?

For a season ticket to become more expensive than pay on the day £24, then you would need to miss more than a couple of games for it to jump up to that figure.

There are already several benefits to buying a season ticket and it is very good value yet you seem to think they should be seen as priority.

Surely the club knows how many season ticket holders there are, how many match day tickets have been sold to non season ticket holders and it will always be guess work on pay on the day. Surely the number of turnstiles for each type can be allocated to suit the figures. There were a couple of games last season where this appeared to have been done but no more than that and I thought it worked better.

Aid
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Aid » 15 Feb 2018, 18:20

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:If we averaged 9,000 last season then "Most of us" dont buy a season ticket as we maybe had 3,000 ish at a guess. This means more people have to queue than a ST holder. Why would you need to make this worse by "Looking after" season ticket holders?

For a season ticket to become more expensive than pay on the day £24, then you would need to miss more than a couple of games for it to jump up to that figure.

There are already several benefits to buying a season ticket and it is very good value yet you seem to think they should be seen as priority.

Surely the club knows how many season ticket holders there are, how many match day tickets have been sold to non season ticket holders and it will always be guess work on pay on the day. Surely the number of turnstiles for each type can be allocated to suit the figures. There were a couple of games last season where this appeared to have been done but no more than that and I thought it worked better.
The majority of non season ticket holders pre-purchase match tickets from the Tigers Den rather than paying on the gate. On Sunday there were two turnstiles (one Adults and one concessions) on Wheldon Road and they were empty whilst all the ticket/card turnstiles were heaving. So this is not about "looking after" season ticket holders it is about getting the majority into the ground ASAP.
cum on you Ford