Most important......

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Most important......

Post by gateman » 09 Feb 2018, 13:25

As a club we were on the brink of going under a few short years ago, Gill took the poisoned chalice, he and his team have pulled it round and i thank them for that,

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 09 Feb 2018, 13:30

Jonny1975 wrote:I was told by the same person who told me we had stolen James Clare from under the noses of York, that SG had made signings that DP wasn't aware of as he was in Oz at the time. I didn't mention it in the James Clare post as I thought it was absurd for a CEO to do that without consulting the Coach. From what I read & hear there maybe an element of truth to it. I also heard from same person that we had signed both Clark & Green cos SG signed the wrong one. Only passing on info from previously v good sources.
This is so laughable i'm struggling to even think it may be true

So who was the wrong one we signed ? Clark seen as he has been shipped out to Fev.

And were not likely to see Clare in a Cas shirt then are we.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 09 Feb 2018, 13:30

Correct. No arguments with that at all Gateman.

100% agree with that as well FC.

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 09 Feb 2018, 17:21

I was also told that SG signed Clare without consulting Powell. Either a rumour which got everywhere or a true fact. We will see.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Feb 2018, 17:35

You cant have a ceo signing players without the coach knowing least of all a coach like powell his position is untenable if that happened
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Shareholder
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Shareholder » 09 Feb 2018, 19:51

I see our resident troll is storing things again , just by looking back on the clubs website I found these quotes by Daryl Powell . Mitch Clark “I’m delighted he has signed for Castleford at this time as I believe he has a big future with us , he is an all action front rower who has great leg speed when carrying the ball and real intent when he is defending. James Green. I’m delighted that James green has agreed to join us for next season said Tigers head coach Darryl Powell. He is a big aggressive running front rower who will add to our already strong pack options. Cory Aston “Cory has looked really good in previous years , I think he has some great bits and pieces to his game and I’m sure we can make sure he is a consistent half back at the highest level . We are looking forward to him growing within our system. James Clare. James has strengthened and got bigger physically as a player during his time away from the club and I think he will really challenge the players on the wings to be right on top of their games, I am looking forward to seeing how he goes, he has got a great opportunity now to show us what he is all about. Now I think some need to hang their heads in shame . I also listened to SG on 5Towns radio last night where he said no one is signed by the club unless DP wanted them , what would be the point as Darryl wouldn’t let them through the gate . On leaving the club he didn’t quite quash the rumour just said Cas was the last club he would work for and if he left then the club was in good hands , very interesting interview by someone who comes over very knowledgable about the game and is not afraid to give his point of view. Apologies for the long piece but I get fed up of reading garbage and watching trolls stir things at our club .

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 09 Feb 2018, 20:02

To be fair shareholder, he’s not gonna say, for chuffs sake I go to oz for a month and our ceo signs 2 players we don’t want or need.
Most fans were scratching there heads over these signings.
There’s 2 sides to every story, we know neither.

Just hope all this news is fake news and everyone at the club get on with there jobs.
We don’t need meddling and staff throwing the dummy out.
So down to business, we have a big game on Sunday.
That’s the priority at the minute, we need everyone pulling together on Sunday.
#coyf

Shareholder
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Shareholder » 09 Feb 2018, 20:43

I’m sure DP wouldn’t put his name to something hi didn’t want to Babs . That’s what makes him the coach he is, I did hear that Steve has said that 2018 would be his last year as CEO as he wants to spend more time with his family.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 09 Feb 2018, 23:00

Shareholder wrote:I’m sure DP wouldn’t put his name to something hi didn’t want to Babs . That’s what makes him the coach he is, I did hear that Steve has said that 2018 would be his last year as CEO as he wants to spend more time with his family.
How can anyone believe that a club chairman would sign players behind a coaches back? It's a full time business with a stucture in place. They don't sign players as if they have popped down to the shops, there are agents, club reps, three coaches and many preliminary discussions. Can you imagine Powell, Orr and Sheridan turning up and being surprised by the presence of someone they haven't discussed?

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 09 Feb 2018, 23:30

Bottom line is we went cheap on the new recruits this season (Wardle aside) and could suffer on the field & through the turnstiles.

Jonny1975
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jonny1975 » 10 Feb 2018, 00:11

Shareholder - if I'm the resident troll you are referring to, look at all of my past posts, none have been untrue, Hardaker n Jessie signing for us was confirmed by me, Clare signing for us was confirmed by me, I never post stuff that isn't from a reliable source, so to call me a troll is insulting. I'm in a more privileged position than yourself to find information out, and all I do is relay it to the paying fan.

For the record, in my opinion our recruitment has been at best dire, to a point that I would question if our Coach has actually had in say in all of them. At the state of them I would hope not.

To come on here a call yourself " shareholder " is laughable, how much do you really finance the club, when in my eyes every paying fan is a share holder in the club.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 10 Feb 2018, 01:07

I wouldnt feel insulted hes made a idiot of himself since hes being on here accusing someone of being someone they wernt
i believe your sources to be spot on
Vince Lombardi

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 10 Feb 2018, 09:25

A couple of wins and this thread will hopefully disappear , when it was started i thought it was some one trying to cause trouble i know its only a forum and every one as aright to put their views forward but lets not try to rock the boat for rocking the boats sake

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 10 Feb 2018, 11:25

If anyone in doubt whether CAS signed Clare and Aston while DP was in Australia, perhaps this will help everyone. Clare signed 5th December, Aston signed 12th December, DP WAS safely back home almost 2 weeks before the first of these signings.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 10 Feb 2018, 11:33

fast hands wrote:If anyone in doubt whether CAS signed Clare and Aston while DP was in Australia, perhaps this will help everyone. Clare signed 5th December, Aston signed 12th December, DP WAS safely back home almost 2 weeks before the first of these signings.
Wasn't that when they were announced rather than signed???
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 10 Feb 2018, 11:36

Jonny1975 wrote:Shareholder - if I'm the resident troll you are referring to, look at all of my past posts, none have been untrue, Hardaker n Jessie signing for us was confirmed by me, Clare signing for us was confirmed by me, I never post stuff that isn't from a reliable source, so to call me a troll is insulting. I'm in a more privileged position than yourself to find information out, and all I do is relay it to the paying fan.

For the record, in my opinion our recruitment has been at best dire, to a point that I would question if our Coach has actually had in say in all of them. At the state of them I would hope not.

To come on here a call yourself " shareholder " is laughable, how much do you really finance the club, when in my eyes every paying fan is a share holder in the club.
TBF the signings apart from Wardle have been poor and questionable. So either

1. We have no space on the cap
2. We have no money to buy anybody
3. Somebody signed players for the sake
4. Somebody signed players without DP knowing
5. Something else.

Wardle - will be quality

For the life of me i have no idea why we signed Clare and Aston. We have Gill and Trueman for those positions.

We had to replace Patrick and Lynch - we got Green and Clark. Cheaper options but that's cos i assume we have improved other peoples contracts to keep them with us so could afford nobody else. Both these could turn out to be bargins.

Monners - we got Lo. Again cheaper option but could turn out ok

I think after the success of the last few years resulting in LLS in 2017 we all expected more.

Nobody knows when all the signings were actually done or how much the Zak mess played a part in what we have been able to bring in.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 10 Feb 2018, 12:14

People have to consider beyond this year for recruitment.

In the next few years Webster and Shenton are both likely to be at the back end of the careers and heading towards retirement. As will Roberts.

That’s likely going to see Minikin move into the centres possibly along with Egodo if he makes the grade. Three players we are going to have to replace. Then there’s the potential that Hitchcox is off at the end of this year for more first team rugby too.

Part of me feels that Clare is a long term replacement for the latter (saving on a quota place for next year). Lo is a replacement for Monaghan.

Aston is a weird one as he has been played at 9 by DP. But again English, local lad, less risky and possibly a long term replacement for Roberts.

There’s probably method in the madness along the way but it’s hard to detach yourself as a fan from the face value in the situation.

We have a few players off contract this year so it will be interesting to see what happens there!
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 10 Feb 2018, 12:18

the machine wrote:
fast hands wrote:If anyone in doubt whether CAS signed Clare and Aston while DP was in Australia, perhaps this will help everyone. Clare signed 5th December, Aston signed 12th December, DP WAS safely back home almost 2 weeks before the first of these signings.
Wasn't that when they were announced rather than signed???
Confirmed signings I am led to believe,but perhaps you could be correct. All I was saying DP was back at the club when announced, so Powell was a party to the signings, whether someone else involved I don't know.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 10 Feb 2018, 12:26

Clare was training at cas weeks before it was announced , get the signings right this year and move on lot of good players at cas no need for any mistakes to cost us long term maybe not do as well this season but that was always going be tough till hardaker issue resolved
Vince Lombardi

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 10 Feb 2018, 12:47

HuddsTigers wrote:People have to consider beyond this year for recruitment.

In the next few years Webster and Shenton are both likely to be at the back end of the careers and heading towards retirement. As will Roberts.

That’s likely going to see Minikin move into the centres possibly along with Egodo if he makes the grade. Three players we are going to have to replace. Then there’s the potential that Hitchcox is off at the end of this year for more first team rugby too.

Part of me feels that Clare is a long term replacement for the latter (saving on a quota place for next year). Lo is a replacement for Monaghan.

Aston is a weird one as he has been played at 9 by DP. But again English, local lad, less risky and possibly a long term replacement for Roberts.

There’s probably method in the madness along the way but it’s hard to detach yourself as a fan from the face value in the situation.

We have a few players off contract this year so it will be interesting to see what happens there!
I agree with this. I think it's succession planning, not about this season. Only time will tell.