An honest review so far

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: An honest review so far

Post by gateman » 06 Feb 2018, 09:47

Hitchcox as never let us down he as the heart of a lion and fast of the mark, its a shame the lad as not more size about him, a full back today needs to be able get up for the high balls, in is defence one of the best full backs that i can remember was Jackie Edwards small in stature but like Hitchcox the heart of a lion and fast

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 06 Feb 2018, 11:59

Right at the moment, if I was in the squad and present on social media I wouldn't be too keen to be "asked" to do a job out back! That said, I am not a professional sportsman so perhaps my mentality is different.

Whoever it is, they're going to make mistakes and we do have the option to react to them and boo someone off, or stay with it. That's not a twee "we're all in it together" rallying cry, but it certainly isn't going to help throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Last week looked more like a crap attitude than a crap side, I did need to watch it again to decide that. Whatever was at fault, I would like to think the team, from Daryl and Danny to whoever is in the run on team have earned more than 1 game of credit. 4 or 5 games before we can really judge in my opinion.

LeagueLeaders
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by LeagueLeaders » 06 Feb 2018, 13:18

Sharlotiger - to me the season is the priority not his hopes of being England captain. Also I don't really think Hitchcox is a permanent solution but I feel it is worth a shot.

Fords - What do you mean that would be too easy? Isn't that a good thing? At the minute I feel we are over looking the obvious solutions and I am not sure why. Powell should've bought a fullback when he had the chance but he didn't. We just have to try people out until we find something that works

RonnieGibbs'forearm - After how Roberts played last game and how Eden played in the final I would have more confidence with Moors at fullback

Oldcasman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Oldcasman » 06 Feb 2018, 13:21

gateman wrote:Hitchcox as never let us down he as the heart of a lion and fast of the mark, its a shame the lad as not more size about him, a full back today needs to be able get up for the high balls, in is defence one of the best full backs that i can remember was Jackie Edwards small in stature but like Hitchcox the heart of a lion and fast
Do you mean Derek Edwards one of the best fullbacks we ever had

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 06 Feb 2018, 13:37

Oldcasman wrote:
gateman wrote:Hitchcox as never let us down he as the heart of a lion and fast of the mark, its a shame the lad as not more size about him, a full back today needs to be able get up for the high balls, in is defence one of the best full backs that i can remember was Jackie Edwards small in stature but like Hitchcox the heart of a lion and fast

in a word yes , i can see him in my minds eye when anyone broke through Derek would wrap them up

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 06 Feb 2018, 13:41

gateman wrote:
Oldcasman wrote:

in a word yes , i can see him in my minds eye when anyone broke through Derek would wrap them up
Derek was a great player, but tactically the game is different. He would still be brilliant in attack, but I would worry about him under a barrage of high kicks.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 06 Feb 2018, 14:35

LeagueLeaders wrote:Sharlotiger - to me the season is the priority not his hopes of being England captain. Also I don't really think Hitchcox is a permanent solution but I feel it is worth a shot.

Fords - What do you mean that would be too easy? Isn't that a good thing? At the minute I feel we are over looking the obvious solutions and I am not sure why. Powell should've bought a fullback when he had the chance but he didn't. We just have to try people out until we find something that works

RonnieGibbs'forearm - After how Roberts played last game and how Eden played in the final I would have more confidence with Moors at fullback
as in i agree with you. why DP doesnt seem to want to i have no idea

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 06 Feb 2018, 14:35

Spanishtiger wrote:Hitchcox was signed from fev as a full back in 2015 and I can't for the life of me ever remember seeing him play there which must say something about DP's perception of his talents. Good on the wing in Perpignan mind ....

wasnt he signed as a "utility" back ?

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 06 Feb 2018, 14:40

He had been playing FB for Featherstone when we signed him

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 06 Feb 2018, 14:47

Spanishtiger wrote:He had been playing FB for Featherstone when we signed him
Ok, either way we need to get Roberts back to 6 where he is at his best.

So either JY or Clare to FB for me

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 06 Feb 2018, 15:03

Agree mate but will DP ???

Hiddentiger

Post by Hiddentiger » 06 Feb 2018, 20:41

Got it! As is the popular way these days why not create a new reality show where all prospective full backs (there must be at least half a dozen suggested contenders already) are gradually eliminated via a set of (Mend-a-Hose) Jungle challenges. Hopefully things will settle down in the meantime but at least by around Round 8 things should be sorted. As an additional benefit those who hanker (yes, that's the word I mean) for the return of ZH may at least have something else to distract themselves with. McShane for full back anyone?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Feb 2018, 21:04

Not far from the truth in as much as its been a farce scrating around now for somebody who is actually a full back when weve had since november to get someone
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 07 Feb 2018, 20:57

Spanishtiger wrote:Agree mate but will DP ???
No

LeagueLeaders
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by LeagueLeaders » 08 Feb 2018, 17:42

Trueman ain't playing on Sunday so that may mean Roberts will go back in his position

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 08 Feb 2018, 18:47

LeagueLeaders wrote:Trueman ain't playing on Sunday so that may mean Roberts will go back in his position
More likely ellis straight swap
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

LeagueLeaders
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by LeagueLeaders » 09 Feb 2018, 22:43

the machine wrote:
LeagueLeaders wrote:Trueman ain't playing on Sunday so that may mean Roberts will go back in his position
I hope not. Don't really rate Ellis

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 09 Feb 2018, 22:50

LeagueLeaders wrote:
the machine wrote:
I'd have played Ellis rather than Trueman last week. Ellis is more robust and it was always going to be hard against Saints. I would try to pick the right games for Trueman so he eases in.

SFOtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SFOtiger » 10 Feb 2018, 01:34

Wow - this article is absolutely bang on as far as I am concerned.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 10 Feb 2018, 09:15

cogito ergo sum wrote:
LeagueLeaders wrote:
the machine wrote:
I'd have played Ellis rather than Trueman last week. Ellis is more robust and it was always going to be hard against Saints. I would try to pick the right games for Trueman so he eases in.
i am with you mate i would have played Ellis last week