2018 Squad stronger than Last Year ?? You decide

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Re: 2018 Squad stronger than Last Year ?? You decide

Post by SuffolkTiger » 28 Jan 2018, 23:43

lidds wrote:I know it was poor conditions Vs leeds but look how many dropouts we caused having Ellis in the squad. It's something we really aren't very good at usually.
Bang on. This is mentioned in several other threads. Actually, I can't remember us ever using that tactic well.

Weather forecast looks a bit soggy for Friday's game - it would be good to see us stand saints under their posts a few times a get the ball back for repeat sets...

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 28 Jan 2018, 23:47

SuffolkTiger wrote:
lidds wrote:I know it was poor conditions Vs leeds but look how many dropouts we caused having Ellis in the squad. It's something we really aren't very good at usually.
Bang on. This is mentioned in several other threads. Actually, I can't remember us ever using that tactic well.

Weather forecast looks a bit soggy for Friday's game - it would be good to see us stand saints under their posts a few times a get the ball back for repeat sets...
Powell also complimented truemans kicking game as outstanding

PSTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by PSTiger » 29 Jan 2018, 11:51

Casmoley wrote:All year comments were we aren't a big enough side, but people want to continue with a back on the bench. Can't have it both ways.
Never asked for it both ways, I was just stating the facts. You said he wouldn’t put a back on the bench but he did until Chase went.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 30 Jan 2018, 00:04

SuffolkTiger wrote:

All change on the weather front - 2 days of sunshine on Thursday & Friday and set fair for kick off

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 30 Jan 2018, 08:24

Rain hale or shine, we are pitting our strongest line up against theirs, if they beat us nothing will have changed over the many years we have come away from saints with our tail between our legs, but i honestly think this year we will do them

terminaldecline
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by terminaldecline » 30 Jan 2018, 08:41

Casmoley wrote:All year comments were we aren't a big enough side, but people want to continue with a back on the bench. Can't have it both ways.
doesn't that depend on who you have as the backup hooker to McShane?
If you've got options already on the field (Ellis, Roberts, Milner) then you can cope with having a back on the bench in their place

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 30 Jan 2018, 08:51

terminaldecline wrote:
If you've got options already on the field (Ellis, Roberts, Milner) then you can cope with having a back on the bench in their place

McShane is a 80 minute hooker now, don't need a back up.

terminaldecline
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by terminaldecline » 30 Jan 2018, 13:48

Casmoley wrote:
terminaldecline wrote:

McShane is a 80 minute hooker now, don't need a back up.
I know but I'm not sure that actually alters the fact that most other teams would have a backup hooker on the bench. Cas don't need it because we've got an 80 minute hooker in McShane, but even if he wasn't then you've got enough options already on the field.

It used to be 4 forwards on the bench, but because of options (incl an 80 minute hooker) we can benefit from the flexibility of 3 forwards and a back on the bench. I think we'd have space to put Trueman on the bench - it increases our options in attack

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 30 Jan 2018, 13:59

Just think we could play with 5 half backs on the pitch. Roberts, Ellis, Gale, Truman and mcshane if Milner went to dummy half the opposition wouldn’t have a clue what was going to happen.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 30 Jan 2018, 14:38

TT Tiger wrote:Just think we could play with 5 half backs on the pitch. Roberts, Ellis, Gale, Truman and mcshane if Milner went to dummy half the opposition wouldn’t have a clue what was going to happen.
Hopefully we would otherwise it would be pointless ..

cvtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: ...waiting at the gates to the promised land, that being Glasshoughton.....well near to there now.

Post by cvtiger » 30 Jan 2018, 15:44

TT Tiger wrote:Just think we could play with 5 half backs on the pitch. Roberts, Ellis, Gale, Truman and mcshane if Milner went to dummy half the opposition wouldn’t have a clue what was going to happen.
Have you forgotten that ball handling prop Grant Millington?
‘What words of wisdom will Dennis share this time...?'

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 30 Jan 2018, 16:00

cvtiger wrote:
Have you forgotten that ball handling prop Grant Millington?
He did cross my mind as it did to put Milner on the wing again.

StevieTheTV
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by StevieTheTV » 30 Jan 2018, 16:18

Well, i am now unable to make the game thanks to working oncall! Still looking forward to it, i will be cheering the lads on from my sofa.

Gutted is an absolute understatement!
Tigers for Life! Not just for SuperLeague!!

Tawera Nikau = Legend

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 30 Jan 2018, 18:35

As far as the bench is concerned, I go with four forwards. We have Meeks, Millo and Mac who can go to the backs in an emergency, and Webbo into the pack. Versatility is a quality we possess. I can't see a half back on the bench.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 02 Feb 2018, 12:47

cogito ergo sum wrote:As far as the bench is concerned, I go with four forwards. We have Meeks, Millo and Mac who can go to the backs in an emergency, and Webbo into the pack. Versatility is a quality we possess. I can't see a half back on the bench.
I agree. If we follow what other teams do, you'll follow them in the league. Doing your own thing can put you ahead or behind the others but you can always change to their way.

Is nice to be the mold breakers.

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 02 Feb 2018, 12:55

cogito ergo sum wrote:As far as the bench is concerned, I go with four forwards. We have Meeks, Millo and Mac who can go to the backs in an emergency, and Webbo into the pack. Versatility is a quality we possess. I can't see a half back on the bench.
And Wardle who can slot into the backs (I actually think he's a better Centre than forward in some respects)

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 02 Feb 2018, 13:09

whatever are bench will be tonight it will be strong and full of game changers compare that with for instance the bench warrington had last night poor to feeble id rate it
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 02 Feb 2018, 13:38

Good thing about Wardle is that we have a REAL STRONG reserve centre.

For example if webbo or shenny were injured, we could be especially defensively weaker. Not now.

I think a lot rests on Benny. If he grows into the role and has a top year we could be even more potent in attack than with Zak at the back. Defensively, Benny is as good a tackler as Zak. I'm not sure on bravery,,positioning and taking the pressure balls. We need to really focus on this area and potentially devise a defensive structure to cover our weaknesses,

As for stand off, it's always exciting and good to have a great talent coming through. They can really thrive. The plaudits that truey has had from DP tell me this is a special talent. Better than Ellis by the sounds.

I can see truey being used a lot from the bench this year; who knows he may even have a pop at full back and swap with Benny now and again.

We don't look weak anywhere. However, I am concerned mostly about defending kicks close to the line and pressure bombs / crossfield kicks. Pressure in our own half with high tempo worries me, especially at saints, vs Saints.

Holbrook LOVES set plays too. We need to be firmly on our mettle and fully concentrating and focussed at all time. They'd try a set play on their own 20!

We will always score points and saints aren't always in the Purple zone.

I'm going 26-24, but it could be either team on the winning podium.

Thoughts?
Audacter Et Sincere

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 02 Feb 2018, 13:38

Jesse and Massey starting props for me tonight.

Moors, Millington, Wardle and Green as subs. That bench is as good as it gets for any team in Super League. Bring on Moors and Millington when they introduce Walmsley.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 02 Feb 2018, 13:44

heritage1926 wrote:Jesse and Massey starting props for me tonight.

Moors, Millington, Wardle and Green as subs. That bench is as good as it gets for any team in Super League. Bring on Moors and Millington when they introduce Walmsley.
We had a strong bench at Saints last year but because we had little ball when Powell put them on after the first 20 they had no impact.