Castleford Tigers head of youth resigned

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Johnlewis1920
Academy Player
Academy Player

Castleford Tigers head of youth resigned

Post by Johnlewis1920 » 18 Jan 2018, 12:42

Castleford Tigers head of youth resigned and heading to Warrington

caslad69
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Castleford Tigers head of youth resigned

Post by caslad69 » 18 Jan 2018, 12:50

What do you expect him to do, he has put in a lot of hard graft there only to see the club let very talented youngsters leave the club and sign players like Cory Ashton

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 18 Jan 2018, 13:17

Who are we talking about?
Spreading the Cas gene pool

caslad69
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by caslad69 » 18 Jan 2018, 13:21

Castleford head of youth is Pete Riding

harrogate tiger

Post by harrogate tiger » 18 Jan 2018, 13:39

If this is true it explains the Louis Johnson departing to Warrington, no smoke without fire.
allenthelodge

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 18 Jan 2018, 13:41

Where's it been said that he's left?
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

Shareholder
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Shareholder » 18 Jan 2018, 13:54

All the best Pete , Good luck in your new role over the Pennines .

Dez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dez » 18 Jan 2018, 18:05

Will be very badly missed. His work behind the scenes was immense. Lets hope for a good replacement

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 18 Jan 2018, 18:49

Dez wrote:Will be very badly missed. His work behind the scenes was immense. Lets hope for a good replacement
Does it matter who the replacement is we never give youth a chance under Powell , he would rather bring in journeymen to fill up the squad.
We have not produced a super league player since Daryl Clark, very sad for a team that used to pride itself on homegrown talent.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 18 Jan 2018, 18:59

Thats why we did right to take the money for mcllend and johnson no point keeping young talent if there most unlikly to be given a chance
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

caslad69
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by caslad69 » 18 Jan 2018, 19:41

I can’t beleve what you have said tigerfeat.. for us to get rid of our best young players because we won’t give em a chance is the right thing to do, never heard as much rubbish in all my life

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 18 Jan 2018, 19:48

I dont think we should have got rid of them but whats point keeping them if there not going to be given a chance ?
Vince Lombardi

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 18 Jan 2018, 20:03

MCLELLAND, for me was the best of the last crop of players, the lad always impressed me, but when rugby union clubs come flashing the cash i don't think the club could have matched any were near the potential earnings he can expect from rugby union

Hiddentiger

Post by Hiddentiger » 18 Jan 2018, 21:03

It's a bit of a circular argument surely - you get rid because you're not going to give them a chance but what that means is other clubs benefit from the best of your young talent at your expense.
Maybe worth looking at how some other clubs do it? Ok Leeds have more resources than most but they combine nurturing/developing/giving opportunities to local talent with bringing in players who fit their mould. At the end of the day I suppose clubs make their choice, but success tends to breed success. Some might say that doesn't always produce the best rugby (Cas's method most definitely did last season) but all clubs and their supporters need success to be sustainable and to grow. Discuss.

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 18 Jan 2018, 21:57

Sharlotiger wrote:
Dez wrote:Will be very badly missed. His work behind the scenes was immense. Lets hope for a good replacement
Does it matter who the replacement is we never give youth a chance under Powell , he would rather bring in journeymen to fill up the squad.
We have not produced a super league player since Daryl Clark, very sad for a team that used to pride itself on homegrown talent.
Maher
Trueman
Gill
We also produced Will Dagger.
Not all to the ability of Daz Clark what team produces a super league player every year from there academy?

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 18 Jan 2018, 23:10

Six and two threes really, example Johnson, we have McMeeken, Holmes, Wardle and Foster, all with years in front of them. With the constrictions of the salary cap how can we offer the likes of Johnson the money their agents tell them they're worth when they're probably 2 or 3 years away from the first team ?

Sharlo would you class last year's "journeymen" such as Cook, Webster, Eden, Gale, McShane etc as disappointing or not good enough ?

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 18 Jan 2018, 23:46

TT Tiger wrote:
Sharlotiger wrote:
Maher
Trueman
Gill
Not all to the ability of Daz Clark what team produces a super league player every year from there academy?
Not only that, which can turn around youth prospects into SL players in just 3 years, most of which he will never have recruited. The 16 year olds we recruited in 2015, back when our youth academy had been put on the back burner a bit, will only be reaching the final year of their development at 19.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 19 Jan 2018, 08:16

TT Tiger wrote:
Sharlotiger wrote:
Maher
Trueman
Gill
Trueman came from Bradford and Dagger was on Wakeys books wasn’t he?

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 19 Jan 2018, 09:39

It's irrelevant on that front really, according to the laws of the game.

Trueman will play years for us before the age of 21 (fingers crossed) so counts as a Cas homegrown player.

And arguably, I agree with the point. He started out at Bradford but only as an academy player - it's Cas that have turned him into a Super League player and where he will get most of his learning and development to become a senior player.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 19 Jan 2018, 09:56

gateman wrote:MCLELLAND, for me was the best of the last crop of players, the lad always impressed me, but when rugby union clubs come flashing the cash i don't think the club could have matched any were near the potential earnings he can expect from rugby union
Ive no idea what the union sq programne are paying him or what he was offered to stay at cas , but the interview he gave after it was announced he was leaving was one of the most interesting i saw last year and it was clear it wasnt all about money he talked of the need for teams to run a reserve grade young players getting caught always being on loan and the need for young players to see a clear pathway forward
Vince Lombardi