It's here......GAME DAY.

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: It's here......GAME DAY.

Post by HuddsTigers » 03 Jan 2018, 09:37

orrsome wrote:My concern is that we only have one remaining REAL warm up match left. With all due respect to Newcastle, the team we put out against Leeds on the 21st Jan is the only opportunity for our first teamers to get any meaningful match practice and then we're straight into our SL opener against our bogey team of recent seasons.
I was going to post this. But I realised it was probably that our players - especially key ones such as Gale and McMeeken have been involved upto the end of November so probably don't need much game time to get back into the swing of things.

Looking at other clubs pre-season plans:

Cas: 1 SL, 1 Championship, 1 L1
Leeds: 2 SL (Wakefield and us), 1 Championship, 1 L1
Wigan: 1 Championship, 2 L1
Saints: 2 Championship
Wakefield: 2 SL, 1 Championship
Huddersfield: 1 SL, 1 Champ, 1 L1
Catalans: 1 SL
Hull FC: 2 SL
Salford: 1 SL, 1 Champ
Saints: 2 Champ
Widnes: 1 SL (already played)
KR: 1 SL, 1 Champ, 1 L1

There's a worrying lack of SL sides committing to play each other. This may be to help players avoid burn out but also because the season starts so early on in the first week of February.

I suspect that with us having a game on 21st and 27th January, there just simply isn't a free weekend for us to play another game. We've also got to fit in a week away for our pre-season camp, which looks like will be next week.

My bet is that Leeds game will feature all the first team and then any of the remaining players will travel up to Newcastle and play in that game.

Pending injury:

Leeds:
Roberts, Minikin, Webster, Shenton, Eden, Ellis, Gale, Millo, McShane, Massey, JSL, McMeeken, Milner.
Subs: Moors, Wardle, Oli Holmes, Cook, Springer, Green, Foster, Clark

Newcastle:
Lo, Maher, Trueman, Douglas, Hitchcox, Clare, Egodo, Aston + kids/anyone not fit for Leeds.
Last edited by HuddsTigers on 03 Jan 2018, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Squaddie86
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Squaddie86 » 03 Jan 2018, 09:45

orrsome wrote:My concern is that we only have one remaining REAL warm up match left. With all due respect to Newcastle, the team we put out against Leeds on the 21st Jan is the only opportunity for our first teamers to get any meaningful match practice and then we're straight into our SL opener against our bogey team of recent seasons.

If Cas are smart then they'll realise the best teams peak in September/October, Feb and March are for finding their feet... As long as Cas are top 4 come September and not utterly blown out ckme October then a lack of pre season won't matter.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 03 Jan 2018, 09:50

Hope the week away going to be a army assult course type of thing in the wind rain and heavy ground in deepest cumbria
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 03 Jan 2018, 11:03

tigerfeat wrote:Hope the week away going to be a army assult course type of thing in the wind rain and heavy ground in deepest cumbria
It was a week away in Lanzarote last year wasn't it?

Nu Shooze
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nu Shooze » 03 Jan 2018, 13:01

orrsome wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:Hope the week away going to be a army assult course type of thing in the wind rain and heavy ground in deepest cumbria
True and didn't seem to do them much harm, did it? Came across as a positive exercise which really helped bond the team.

Squaddie86
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Squaddie86 » 03 Jan 2018, 18:46

How many games will be played on army assault courses?

A week in a hot country working on the blistering plays that saw Cas racking up 30-40 points a game might be more beneficial.

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 03 Jan 2018, 19:03

Squaddie86 wrote:

A week in a hot country working on the blistering plays that saw Cas racking up 30-40 points a game might be more beneficial.
GF will be.

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 03 Jan 2018, 19:04

InTheKnow wrote:
Squaddie86 wrote:

GF will be.
I am against it though. Rather they go on a bonding session to Spain again.

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 03 Jan 2018, 19:25

HuddsTigers wrote:
I was going to post this. But I realised it was probably that our players - especially key ones such as Gale and McMeeken have been involved upto the end of November so probably don't need much game time to get back into the swing of things.

There's a worrying lack of SL sides committing to play each other. This may be to help players avoid burn out but also because the season starts so early on in the first week of February.

I suspect that with us having a game on 21st and 27th January, there just simply isn't a free weekend for us to play another game. We've also got to fit in a week away for our pre-season camp, which looks like will be next week.

My bet is that Leeds game will feature all the first team and then any of the remaining players will travel up to Newcastle and play in that game.

Pending injury:

Leeds:
Roberts, Minikin, Webster, Shenton, Eden, Ellis, Gale, Millo, McShane, Massey, JSL, McMeeken, Milner.

Newcastle:
Lo, Maher, Trueman, Douglas, Hitchcox, Clare, Egodo, Aston + kids/anyone not fit for Leeds.
I understand re Sl clubs availability but I would have thought that another game against a top half championship (maybe Halifax) would be beneficial to give the opportunity for a few combinations in key areas to be tried.
As it is we have fielded a very weak side against Fev which told us that our kids are not ready and we didn’t have the right attitude throughout ( Powell’s assessment) After that we have one game to get everything sorted.
I hope I’m wrong but I just think that another real testing game would prepare us better because we may be a bit underdone for the start of the season.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 03 Jan 2018, 20:27

orrsome wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:

Pending injury:

Leeds:

Newcastle:
I understand re Sl clubs availability but I would have thought that another game against a top half championship (maybe Halifax) would be beneficial to give the opportunity for a few combinations in key areas to be tried.
As it is we have fielded a very weak side against Fev which told us that our kids are not ready and we didn’t have the right attitude throughout ( Powell’s assessment) After that we have one game to get everything sorted.
I hope I’m wrong but I just think that another real testing game would prepare us better because we may be a bit underdone for the start of the season.
I'll be surprised to see Gale play any friendly.

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 03 Jan 2018, 20:33

Gale still sunning it up in Bali.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 03 Jan 2018, 20:44

InTheKnow wrote:Gale still sunning it up in Bali.

Ben Cooper has said he'll only have a 2 week pre-season which isn't anywhere near long enough to start firing round 1

alcasfan
League One Player
League One Player
Location: LS25 About as far from LEEDS as you can get with an LS code - Thank God!

Post by alcasfan » 03 Jan 2018, 20:53

orrsome wrote:
Same again.
"Castleford's biggest home crowd of the 1991-1992 season wasn't quite 12,000 while on average they'd sit around 6000 but the noise, the chanting and the singing just blows you away" - Tawera Nikau "Standing Tall"

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 03 Jan 2018, 20:59

We could not have a more testing game than away to St Helens for our first league game, i think i read that its over 20 years since we last won at their place, all our players should be back at the club preparing for this one lets get the monkey of our backs 2 points at the beginning of the season are has valuable as two at the end

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 04 Jan 2018, 10:49

Looks like lanzarote again this year according to DP.
Announced in the cas and ponte, 11th jan they go.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 04 Jan 2018, 15:28

old cas lass wrote:Looks like lanzarote again this year according to DP.
I hope so, worked last year so no need to change something that works

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 04 Jan 2018, 23:33

derbystiger wrote:
old cas lass wrote:Looks like lanzarote again this year according to DP.
I hope so, worked last year so no need to change something that works
I bet Gale is laughing his pants off. Still in Bali then flying straight to Lanzarote.

Squaddie86
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Squaddie86 » 05 Jan 2018, 10:36

InTheKnow wrote:
Squaddie86 wrote:

GF will be.
The final will be an army assault course? When did the RFL announce that?

In any case you honestly think a cold week in Cumbria in January would make a difference in October?

I'd rather the lads were happy, motivated amd refreshed, ready for a long season, not cold, wet, miserable and hating life at Cas while their mates at other teams are away training in the sunshine.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 05 Jan 2018, 11:10

I think warm weather training and bonding is the way to go. More sessions available and you put to bed last year. Players can make goals for themselves in positive environment.

Cold training is a punishment for bad behaviour and poor execution. Wigan have done it because of their poor end to the season. It'll make them not want to do it again.

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 05 Jan 2018, 11:45

Squaddie86 wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:
Squaddie86 wrote:

GF will be.
The final will be an army assault course? When did the RFL announce that?

In any case you honestly think a cold week in Cumbria in January would make a difference in October?

I'd rather the lads were happy, motivated amd refreshed, ready for a long season, not cold, wet, miserable and hating life at Cas while their mates at other teams are away training in the sunshine.
You clearly didn't see what I wrote underneath. Saying I would rather them go Spain again. Clearly it's not an army assault course but the wet weather training does help. Teams do it for a reason.