Zak's return?

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Zak's return?

Post by TT Tiger » 19 Dec 2017, 12:43

JIN JER wrote:
Tigerade wrote:
If Cas terminate his contract he'll immediately become a free agent I'd assume.
I don't think Cas would terminate his contract. We would keep his registration and if Wigan came in for him they would have to pay out.
If they don't terminate his contract then wouldn't they be obliged to pay him?
Yes but not the full amount as he had breached his terms and conditions of the contract

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 19 Dec 2017, 12:49

TT Tiger wrote:
JIN JER wrote:
Tigerade wrote:
I don't think Cas would terminate his contract. We would keep his registration and if Wigan came in for him they would have to pay out.
Yes but not the full amount as he had breached his terms and conditions of the contract
I'd presume it's an all or nothing scenario, I can't imagine they can partially cancel a contract, can they?

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 19 Dec 2017, 12:55

JIN JER wrote:
TT Tiger wrote:
JIN JER wrote:
Tigerade wrote:
I'd presume it's an all or nothing scenario, I can't imagine they can partially cancel a contract, can they?
Surely Cas can terminate his contract but still hold Zaks registration, when his ban is up then we are in a position to renogatiate the terms of his contract.
Wigan didn't pay Hock when he was banned but still held his rgistration and he still remained on the Wigan books and contract was dealt with on his return to playing.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 19 Dec 2017, 12:58

If we think of paying his reported contract of 100,000 for the next two years and the 150,000 he cost to buy, with him not playing it must be the worst bit of business with no fault of their own the club have ever done

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 19 Dec 2017, 13:39

JIN JER wrote:
TT Tiger wrote:
JIN JER wrote:
Tigerade wrote:
They would probably agree a figure of pay during his ban and then normal pay would resume when that expires. He will be in breach of his contract as it stands i would think.

Unless Cas decide to terminate it full stop now and then he can sign for anybody for free when his ban expires.
That would be daft business though in my eyes as we have just wasted 150K.

Benny will be 34 in 2yrs so probably retire. Clare is ok as backup. That would leave the under 19's FB as our only FB who will be 21 by then. Meaning we have to go find a new one if we let Zak go in the next 2 yrs or give the job to Turner and spend the cash elsewhere.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 19 Dec 2017, 14:15

JIN JER wrote:
mart0042 wrote:It would cost them a few quid. A player on a long contract. Depending on his Cas deal with him, he may want to get it off the area.

Personally I wouldn't have thought he'd be leaving until we know what's happening.
Why do you think "he'd cost them a few quid"? If Cas terminate his contract he'll immediately become a free agent I'd assume. I did mention this the other day, Cas are in an unenviable position.
If cas terminated his contract, then of course he's free to go elsewhere, but I can't recall Cas saying that's what they've done.

But if things are at the same point we think, then we'd have to sell him or give him away.

It would seem that at cas we would want to take the higher moral ground but since no one else does, why should we?

If a ban is known, then we'll know how much playing contract we've got, that's if the non playing counts towards it or will he still have 4 years left.

So all ifs and buts.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 19 Dec 2017, 14:17

Let's be honest without him we probably wouldn't have won the LLS and the 100k prize that comes with it so I'm reality we've lost 50k from his fee
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 19 Dec 2017, 17:23

not forgetting the 150k we got for solomona who i assume cost us nowt from london, which may have been used to buy zak?

Le Van
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Le Van » 19 Dec 2017, 17:38

I think a lot of the outcome will depend on how repentant Zak really is.

Will he be aware of how many people he let down and settle for a reduced contract with us or will he demand a big signing on fee and matching contract with a richer club like Wigan for example.

Don't forget no one will know how good he'll be in 2 years time.

Will it be a bigger gamble than signing him in the first place?

muckymunksy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by muckymunksy » 19 Dec 2017, 18:32

Hes been given a 2 year ban which he and the club have appealed
Direct from Zaks cousin who i work with
He hasn't been released at the moment

dancas88
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by dancas88 » 19 Dec 2017, 18:47

While ever Zak is banned we don’t have to pay him as he has breached his contract. He has a contract with us till the end of 2021 so that is when his contract will expire no matter what the length of the ban. Unless we either renew it or terminate it. For me we should keep him he’s the best full back in this country and we wouldn’t have achieved what we did last year without him I don’t think. Last year alone he was worth his 150k fee imo
Last edited by dancas88 on 19 Dec 2017, 18:51, edited 3 times in total.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 19 Dec 2017, 18:50

muckymunksy wrote:Hes been given a 2 year ban which he and the club have appealed
Why would he appeal when he admitted guilt in his press release?
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 19 Dec 2017, 18:54

muckymunksy wrote:Hes been given a 2 year ban which he and the club have appealed

Appealing what? You either took it or you didnt.

Can only imagine they are trying to appeal it was out of competition

muckymunksy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by muckymunksy » 19 Dec 2017, 18:57

Just what iv been told
Direct from is Grandad to my mate
Not sure why they have appealed
Not ere to cause an argument just what he as said

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 19 Dec 2017, 19:01

the machine wrote:
Why would he appeal when he admitted guilt in his press release?
It could be that he's appealing the severity of the ban?

Dez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dez » 19 Dec 2017, 19:28

dancas88 wrote:While ever Zak is banned we don’t have to pay him as he has breached his contract. He has a contract with us till the end of 2021 so that is when his contract will expire no matter what the length of the ban. Unless we either renew it or terminate it. For me we should keep him he’s the best full back in this country and we wouldn’t have achieved what we did last year without him I don’t think. Last year alone he was worth his 150k fee imo
Of course we will have to pay him If we keep him . You can't just stop his pay what about his mortgage and bills . What's he live on for two years bread and water. I think you would find he would just go abroad and play rugby union. He's done wrong granted but he's no papilian

Goat's Toe

Post by Goat's Toe » 19 Dec 2017, 20:03

There's a section in the RFL's operational rules that explains that if a player owns up immediately after notification by UKAD of an adverse test result then his ban can commence retrospectively from the date the sample was taken (page 212 or the following ones). I'm assuming this is what he opted to do.

As for going to play union, that won't be an option as that sport also supports the WADA code.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 19 Dec 2017, 20:15

Dez wrote:
dancas88 wrote:While ever Zak is banned we don’t have to pay him as he has breached his contract. He has a contract with us till the end of 2021 so that is when his contract will expire no matter what the length of the ban. Unless we either renew it or terminate it. For me we should keep him he’s the best full back in this country and we wouldn’t have achieved what we did last year without him I don’t think. Last year alone he was worth his 150k fee imo
Of course we will have to pay him If we keep him . You can't just stop his pay what about his mortgage and bills . What's he live on for two years bread and water. I think you would find he would just go abroad and play rugby union. He's done wrong granted but he's no papilian
No we wont. He is in breach of his contract. He bills are not castigers problem.

He cant play any sport its a worldwide ban.

So its a normal job for 2yrs paid whatever he can get then either back to Cas or someone else if we decided to terminate his contract.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 19 Dec 2017, 20:24

I believe wigan were willing to pay him are willing to pay him something till such times as his ban will be over but obviously if cas dont want him to leave that makes no odds
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 19 Dec 2017, 20:29

tigerfeat wrote:I believe wigan were willing to pay him are willing to pay him something till such times as his ban will be over but obviously if cas dont want him to leave that makes no odds
They can be willing to do whatever they want makes no odds. He is contracted to Cas until 2021. Nothing will change unless we either sell him or terminate his contract.

If he stays all that will happen is he cant play until 2020.

Plus wigan wont have the cap space unless they pay him say 15k a year or somat daft for 2yrs just so they hold his registration and then bump it up after his ban.