Another youngster gone.

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Another youngster gone.

Post by old cas lass » 08 Dec 2017, 16:14

Castleford Tigers teenage back rower Luis Johnson has left the club to join Warrington Wolves in a 4 year deal.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Another youngster gone.

Post by gateman » 08 Dec 2017, 16:33

sorry to see him go improved beyond all recognition over the last 12 months that's two England internationals gone over the last few weeks, it wants to be looked and rectifying why the lads are wanting away

Ferrytiger87

Post by Ferrytiger87 » 08 Dec 2017, 16:42

We received an amazing offer reported to be £45,000

Considering our options in the back-row the lad isn't going to get many opportunities to play. Sounds like a good deal for both parties

caslad69
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by caslad69 » 08 Dec 2017, 17:42

Why oh why are we as a club letting the best young prospects join our rivals. I am led to believe that he has everything to make it in the game. It’s crazy to let him go even though we have got decent money for him.

ellsswfctiger

Post by ellsswfctiger » 08 Dec 2017, 17:52

caslad69 wrote:Why oh why are we as a club letting the best young prospects join our rivals. I am led to believe that he has everything to make it in the game. It’s crazy to let him go even though we have got decent money for him.

Because we got 45 grand for a kid whos 2 years away from even knocking on the door of the first team with more than enough players in his position in front of him in the pecking order.

And the 45k will have paid for 3 years of truemans wages...

no brainer and clever business from the club for me :clap:

steadygetyerboots-on
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by steadygetyerboots-on » 08 Dec 2017, 18:03

gateman wrote:sorry to see him go improved beyond all recognition over the last 12 months that's two England internationals gone over the last few weeks, it wants to be looked and rectifying why the lads are wanting away
I haven't seen him play this year, but watched 4/5 games the year before where he played & I was absolutely stunned to see that he'd made the England squad this time around to be honest.
With the dearth of talent & options we have in the second row I can't say I blame the club letting him go for the rumoured figure.

Unless you have direct knowledge that lads are actively trying to get out of the club I think your last point is a bit strong. One has been presented with a unique opportunity to play a different code & the other is a young second rower who by your own admission has had one good year! Also, I'm sure the lad recognises the size of the task of dislodging the likes of oggy, mcmeeken, wardle, Jsl & others.
If the rumoured figures are correct then the club have just made £80,000 on two completely unknown quantities who may, or may not go on to play professional rugby & Who's to say that they won't come back in time as free agents? It happens.
DP has overseen a root & branch change in the academy & whilst I'm sure he doesn't want to lose the best prospects I trust him & his team to do as much as they can to secure the best players they can.
"Stand by me as I stand by you, be brave and dare to dream".

Distant tiger.

Post by Distant tiger. » 08 Dec 2017, 18:41

I wonder who's had an influence in him joining Warrington, anybody got any ideas?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 08 Dec 2017, 18:52

Not seen him play wire might have got a good un but 45 grand if thats correct wow
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Shareholder
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Shareholder » 08 Dec 2017, 20:05

I wonder what some people would think if we paid 45k for a 18 year old back rower from Warrington whome not many had heard of ?? Underwhelmed , no ambition, going backwards, . The academy should be looked at as a business , produce players, keep the ones who have a good chance of making first grade , sell on those that have a pathway at another club , for too long we ha e held on to players through sentiment and having a good academy team to watch, nobody remembers who won what game and when , but they do remember when they made their debut.well done the club were acting like a business at last. And good luck to young Luis , hope it all works out for you son .

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 08 Dec 2017, 20:05

Distant tiger. wrote:I wonder who's had an influence in him joining Warrington, anybody got any ideas?
Lee briers

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 08 Dec 2017, 20:42

I have got to give our coach his due he DOES got to watch the young lads play I have seen him at most matches that I have attended, maybe as its been said he thinks we are more than covered for second row, McLelland going to rugby union we may not have been able to match the wages, on my first post I didn't think it through I was so disappointed to think we had lost two of our best young lads, in Powel we trust

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 08 Dec 2017, 20:42

Distant tiger. wrote:I wonder who's had an influence in him joining Warrington, anybody got any ideas?

Daryl Clark maybe.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 08 Dec 2017, 20:52

Shareholder wrote:I wonder what some people would think if we paid 45k for a 18 year old back rower from Warrington whome not many had heard of ?? Underwhelmed , no ambition, going backwards, . The academy should be looked at as a business , produce players, keep the ones who have a good chance of making first grade , sell on those that have a pathway at another club , for too long we ha e held on to players through sentiment and having a good academy team to watch, nobody remembers who won what game and when , but they do remember when they made their debut.well done the club were acting like a business at last. And good luck to young Luis , hope it all works out for you son .
This ^^^
Bang on Shareholder.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 08 Dec 2017, 21:25

What’s really surprising, or should I say, absolutely laughable is that despite being a club of moneybags, Warrington are absolutely awful at youth development.

Absolutely shocking how they have to buy players.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 09 Dec 2017, 14:33

HuddsTigers wrote:What’s really surprising, or should I say, absolutely laughable is that despite being a club of moneybags, Warrington are absolutely awful at youth development.

Absolutely shocking how they have to buy players.
The side absolutely shocking at bringing players through must surely be Cas, as Powell brought anyone through from the junior ranks to become a Cas regular in his time in charge of the club?
We still don't run a reseve side to try and help some of our youger talent to develop, unlike most top sides.
It is embarrassing for an area that used to pride itself on developing local talent that we bring in more overseas players than any other SL side.
How many overseas players were in the Wire squad for 2017 compared to Cas, I'm sure you will find many players in their original squad that at come up through their ranks.

Shareholder
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Shareholder » 09 Dec 2017, 15:38

Or you could say cas had Gill, Eden, Shenton,Holmes,Lynch, Milner, O Holmes, Massey, and Maher who all figured in the 2017 fixtures, he also gave debuts to Kieran Gill and Jake Trueman , in 2016 he gave debuts to T Holmes , C fitzinmons and B Douglas. Oh and not forgetting in 2017 two cas academy players featured for the wire, D Clark and J Westerman.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 09 Dec 2017, 16:02

At the end of the day we are a business aswell as a club. If the reported figure of 45 grand is correct we would have been crackers to turn it down. With the lack of quality English halves coming through the ranks currently, money and time invested in young Jake is far better spent than on a backrower. Especially when opportunities for first team rugby in our back row are pretty limited for at least the next 2 years. Good bit of business if you ask me, and I wish Luis all the best and hope it works out great for him.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 09 Dec 2017, 16:03

Are you really judging Powell on 2 and a half seasons in terms of youth development? Players he didn’t recruit or have a say in the development of in the first place.

Regardless, the CLUB has historically developed lots of players across all 3 divisions.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 09 Dec 2017, 16:59

ellsswfctiger wrote:
caslad69 wrote:Why oh why are we as a club letting the best young prospects join our rivals. I am led to believe that he has everything to make it in the game. It’s crazy to let him go even though we have got decent money for him.

Because we got 45 grand for a kid whos 2 years away from even knocking on the door of the first team with more than enough players in his position in front of him in the pecking order.

And the 45k will have paid for 3 years of truemans wages...

no brainer and clever business from the club for me :clap:
3 years of wages? Narrrr. Trueman would want more than 15k a year for sure. He will be 21 in his final year. 15k is nothing.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 09 Dec 2017, 19:42

He'll be on 20k a year imo
CLASSY CAS FOREVER