Looking forward with anticipation

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Looking forward with anticipation

Post by gateman » 12 Nov 2017, 08:41

Next season I think our fans can look forward to another cracking season, last year when we run away with the league winning by a clear 10 points this will be hard to emulate but I am sure we will be one of the front runners, of our new signings Gary LO and Wardle in the backs for me are two top players, in the forwards Green when he first came on the scene at Hull KR looked a very good player if he can recapture that form he could be another diamond , Brandon Douglas after his last season out on loan could turn out to be a revelation in the front row he had a number of man of the match performance's last year , some of you fans may remember his debut in the first team when he stood toe to toe with the ST Helens pack and far from disgraced himself, then we have some very talented under 19S waiting in the wings, yes CAS fans I think we have a lot to look forward to roll on the start of the season

Bramley Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Looking forward with anticipation

Post by Bramley Tiger » 12 Nov 2017, 08:50

I hope I am wrong m8 but I don't think we will be top 4.i always look forward to the new season regardless of what team we have got and I am reconciled to last year being a one off.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 12 Nov 2017, 09:18

I honestly can't figure out why some folk are so disheartened. a little tired of repeating myself but I seem to be 1 of a handful that see it the only loss is Zak which is no fault of our own. if no decent full back is available what the hell can we do about it? other than that we have replaced last year's squad players with other squad players & retained all our key 1-17. Baffled by the negativity of some.

peter parker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by peter parker » 12 Nov 2017, 09:42

I think we'll go ok again next year. I think hardaker is a big loss and it will affect us defensively. However, it's still the same squad that finished top last year.
Of the other teams saints and wire will be stronger next year but other than that everyone is looking the same (if not weaker in the case of hull and Salford).
Cas should definitely be in top 6 and I would imagine top 4. They can win it next year but, as we learnt, you only have to be good enough to win that one game.

princeka01
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by princeka01 » 12 Nov 2017, 09:51

Granted we have signed squad players..but last season I felt our weakness was our depth and quality in squad players...we was very lucky with injurys last season compared to 2016.. but let's give an example say moors millo and Roberts all got injured at same time do you feel our squad players could maintain the high standards?

personally I don't.. I may be wrong but thats my opinion.. cause unless we get a fb ...it would but Eden at fb and green and Clark at front row...

we finished first n grand finalist .. we should be getting higher quality players with proven superleague experience.. everyone says Powell we trust but there has been flops ..they could be like Steve crossley standard .. I think this is why there has been a lack of excitement from fans due to recruitment standard.. by like I said I may be wrong ...and hope I am

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 12 Nov 2017, 09:53

Warrington - spend big every year, doesn't mean it'll work.
Wigan - haven't improved for me but a few blokes returning from long injuries
Sts - some strong additions but a few players linked with NRL, will do well to keep hold of them after the world cup.
Hull - look weaker for me.
KR - will look to survive.
Salford - look a lot weaker
Huddersfield - no improvement
Catalan - like Salford going backwards
Leeds - not improved for me
Widnes - awful recruitment every year
wakey - seem to improve every year, can they keep it up?

We need to take into account it's a world cup year, plenty of players late for pre season, probably meaning more injuries during the season so a big squad is essential. I remember this time last year Powell saying it was the best pre season we've had. currently he's in Oz, as in Shez, along with 4 players and a physio. Also all the grand final playing squad still not back for pre season.

Dez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dez » 12 Nov 2017, 09:57

I think a lot of folk are just "we can't do it again " worried. Well we can :dance: .No team have particular strengthend and maybe they don't need to as maybe no relegation.

dude
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by dude » 12 Nov 2017, 09:57

peter parker wrote:I think we'll go ok again next year. I think hardaker is a big loss and it will affect us defensively. However, it's still the same squad that finished top last year.
Of the other teams saints and wire will be stronger next year but other than that everyone is looking the same (if not weaker in the case of hull and Salford).
Cas should definitely be in top 6 and I would imagine top 4. They can win it next year but, as we learnt, you only have to be good enough to win that one game.
just defensively? 11 tries and 18 try assists will be hard to replace too

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 12 Nov 2017, 10:03

princeka01 wrote:Granted we have signed squad players..but last season I felt our weakness was our depth and quality in squad players...we was very lucky with injurys last season compared to 2016.. but let's give an example say moors millo and Roberts all got injured at same time do you feel our squad players could maintain the high standards?

personally I don't.. I may be wrong but thats my opinion.. cause unless we get a fb ...it would but Eden at fb and green and Clark at front row...

we finished first n grand finalist .. we should be getting higher quality players with proven superleague experience.. everyone says Powell we trust but there has been flops ..they could be like Steve crossley standard .. I think this is why there has been a lack of excitement from fans due to recruitment standard.. by like I said I may be wrong ...and hope I am
Higher quality players cost more money, we only have so much cap space, Powell also likes to leave a little space for during the season incase a player becomes available that would fill a need i. e foster
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

peter parker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by peter parker » 12 Nov 2017, 10:28

dude wrote:
peter parker wrote:I think we'll go ok again next year. I think hardaker is a big loss and it will affect us defensively. However, it's still the same squad that finished top last year.
just defensively? 11 tries and 18 try assists will be hard to replace too
He was certainly a threat but so was dorn before him. I think our plays create space on the left edge for fb to score or assist.
Not taking anything away from him but I just think it is his defensive qualities which will be harder to replace.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 12 Nov 2017, 12:22

Same with the comments last year about us recruiting the 'worst player in the NRL' for Dorn/Solomona

takethetwo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by takethetwo » 12 Nov 2017, 17:37

I think we will have a good season and put on some fantastic performances with our style of play. But all in honestly, off the top of my head, I can think of at least 3 games we were lucky in and about 7 where Zaks performance determined the result. I'll be happy with th top 4 and a cup run.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 12 Nov 2017, 17:59

Casmoley wrote:Warrington - spend big every year, doesn't mean it'll work.
Sts - some strong additions but a few players linked with NRL, will do well to keep hold of them after the world cup.

We need to take into account it's a world cup year, plenty of players late for pre season, probably meaning more injuries during the season so a big squad is essential. I remember this time last year Powell saying it was the best pre season we've had. currently he's in Oz, as in Shez, along with 4 players and a physio. Also all the grand final playing squad still not back for pre season.
Do you think we have improved our squad? I dont. Wigan Warrington and sts all had bad seasons last year and to some affect so did leeds, if and its a big if those teams get back to how we expect them to play i think they'll overtake us.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 12 Nov 2017, 18:02

Tamworth Tiger wrote:Same with the comments last year about us recruiting the 'worst player in the NRL' for Dorn/Solomona
Eden, as shown when he played at full-back, would probably have been a very poor replacement for Dorn.
Thankfully, he was a good replacement for Solomona.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 12 Nov 2017, 18:13

jackknife wrote:

Do you think we have improved our squad? I dont. Wigan Warrington and sts all had bad seasons last year and to some affect so did leeds, if and its a big if those teams get back to how we expect them to play i think they'll overtake us.

point being I don't think anyone has other than Warrington spending the big bucks.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 12 Nov 2017, 18:25

Casmoley wrote:
jackknife wrote:

point being I don't think anyone has other than Warrington spending the big bucks.
You said yourself wigan will have key players back from injury like manfredi n leului and rat boy will no doubt be better with a full pre season, same with sts new coach n barba gettin good pre season together. Imo we have lost an awful lot losing Hardaker and i think that will show next season.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 12 Nov 2017, 18:27

we have lost the best full bsck in the country, simple. But that's not down to us, plus recruitment starts way ahead of grand final week when we found out about Zak and if there isn't many full bsck options what can you do?

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 12 Nov 2017, 18:36

Casmoley wrote:we have lost the best full bsck in the country, simple. But that's not down to us, plus recruitment starts way ahead of grand final week when we found out about Zak and if there isn't many full bsck options what can you do?
Im simply saying we haven't improved and others have. Answering your question of how people could think we wouldn't be in the top 4 next year
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 12 Nov 2017, 18:38

Powell seems to be giving hisen as many options as he can for job of fullback till hardaker returns bit like he did with half back position 2014 think we had seymour sneyd dorn finn ellis and reynolds all in squad then
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 13 Nov 2017, 10:05

No doubt we have lost the best full back in the league, but overhaul I think we have strengthened, Backs out Tom Holmes and Monagan IN Ellis and LO , Forwards out Andy Lynch and Will Mayer IN Wardle Clark Green Douglas back from loan , plus Oliver Holmes could be back fully fit after a season of set backs