What’s happening at cas ?

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
caslad69
Academy Player
Academy Player

What’s happening at cas ?

Post by caslad69 » 10 Nov 2017, 18:22

What the hell is happening at the club I love. The recruitment that has happened is not very inspiring is it.
When are we going to be given some news from the club that will get us excited again. I can’t believe that we got to grand final last year won the LLG and have kicked on by making the signings that we have made.
If the rumour is true about us signing James Clare I am bemused , what will he bring to the team that the youngsters can’t, they must be feeling pig sick. He was deemed not good enough before and was released so what’s changed.
Come on cas give the kids a chance and stop signing very very average players.

Danny Boy
Verified

Re: What’s happening at cas ?

Post by Danny Boy » 10 Nov 2017, 18:41

James signed for York very recently? We don’t need to make massive changes, keeping the majority of our squad at the club. Personally, I trust in Daryl to take us forward, big loss is Zak but reckon Daryl will have it sorted before season starts, whether that’s Benny or some other signing, every confidence & but early for panic stations!
Danny Boy

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 10 Nov 2017, 18:41

My main worry is if we sit back in our laurels like we did in 1999.
Daryl Powell IMO as done brilliant with average players.

Mcmeeken
Him who’s name I won’t type......starts with S if you’ve forgotten.
Matt cook.
Turned Milner from an average hooker, to a very accomplished loose.
Mcshane IMO the best hooker in SL.
I could go on.

My worry is we get complacent and these new players don’t turn out like we all want.
Only time will tell.
For now I’ll stick with having confidence in daryll BUT if we start badly then the pressure will be well and truly on.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 10 Nov 2017, 18:49

Powell as a good record bringing out the best in players like green and mitch clark there fair enough , we shouldnt be signing players like clare and corey aston that makes no sense to me if they arrive
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 10 Nov 2017, 18:55

Alex Foster is another who we have to find plenty of game time for. With the exception of Zak I think we look stronger than 2017.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 10 Nov 2017, 19:16

caslad69 wrote:What the hell is happening at the club I love. The recruitment that has happened is not very inspiring is it.
When are we going to be given some news from the club that will get us excited again. I can’t believe that we got to grand final last year won the LLG and have kicked on by making the signings that we have made.
If the rumour is true about us signing James Clare I am bemused , what will he bring to the team that the youngsters can’t, they must be feeling pig sick. He was deemed not good enough before and was released so what’s changed.

James left for first team opportunities because he was stuck behind Carney & Snake. Quit your moaning and get on with it.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 10 Nov 2017, 19:23

I wouldn’t swap our squad with any other in Super League.
In previous years we would have lost our best players to so-called bigger clubs.
This year we’ve retained all the players we wanted to from the squad last year, who won the league by a record-breaking margin and made the Grand Final.
There is an obvious challenge at full-back, but it’s by no means of the club’s making.
I’d be confident going into the season with what we have. We could always see room for improvement, but in a salary-capped sport it’s just not possible to have the best player in every position.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 10 Nov 2017, 20:06

James Clare is a good signing and welcome back. He a solid professional with a good work ethic. Would make a good fullback.

Hexham Tiger

Post by Hexham Tiger » 10 Nov 2017, 20:13

If its true about Clare--stop knocking him!
He did a good job for Cas to get us to the Wembley Final--only to be replaced by a supposedly fit Carney- who was useless on the day--what a reward for Clare
If true- if Clare wants to return after that treatment--For me it says a lot for his love of the Tigers !

onetiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by onetiger » 10 Nov 2017, 20:37

in 2014 young james clare let no one down as its been said he only left because he could not get regular first team game
if its true he is returning as soon as he pulls on the cas shirt he will get our support 100 percent

Bramley Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bramley Tiger » 10 Nov 2017, 20:55

Sorry but the OP is right.

Bramley Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bramley Tiger » 10 Nov 2017, 20:55

Sorry but the OP is right.

johnson
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by johnson » 10 Nov 2017, 21:02

Bramley Tiger wrote:Sorry but the OP is right.
I agree the signings we have made don’t get me excited I expected us to kick on but we haven’t-as always I will support those that take the field but I am not expecting a season like we just had - unfortunatly.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 10 Nov 2017, 21:07

johnson wrote:
I agree the signings we have made don’t get me excited I expected us to kick on but we haven’t-as always I will support those that take the field but I am not expecting a season like we just had - unfortunatly.

I'd love to know how many people expected us to come top and reach a grand final. Before we signed Zak we had signed Egodo, Eden, Igbinedion, JSL. Im sure many of the same people were saying those signings were no good and we wouldn't push on!! Other than Zak the signings we've made this year equal If not better those of last year. To many jumping on the band wagon of us not pushing on.

Bramley Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bramley Tiger » 10 Nov 2017, 21:09

johnson wrote:
exactly m8.i will support the boys when I can no matter what but jeez some people that come on here really do argue that day is night etc.

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 10 Nov 2017, 21:13

So an NRL standard player, and a player who is getting massive plaudits at the World Cup are not inspiring. We still don’t know the outcome of the Henry Hoover case so he will be suspended on full pay and will still count on the salary cap. When we know what is going on with that I would not be surprised to see a 1st choice prop come in. On balance I would say our squats is an improvement on last years.

mystery
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by mystery » 10 Nov 2017, 23:47

mart0042 wrote:James Clare is a good signing and welcome back. He a solid professional with a good work ethic. Would make a good fullback.
If it's true about Clare I will be pleased, didn't want him to go before.I will reserve judgement about who we have signed until after the fifth or sixth game, the supporters meeting with 'meet the coaches" is going to be interesting, whenever that is, you will all be able to tell DP then what you think of his signings, should be a good night!!!!!

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 11 Nov 2017, 07:29

If it's true I will stay as his sponsor!

Shareholder
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Shareholder » 11 Nov 2017, 10:14

caslad69 wrote:What the hell is happening at the club I love. The recruitment that has happened is not very inspiring is it.
Oh dear same old drivel , the club retains its players , during the season , wins the LLS and makes a GF, wins MOS , club of the year, and guess what ? even the coach of the year , yet you still want excitement,?? Watch Gary Lo at the World Cup , if that doesn’t excite you , I suggest you pay a visit to your Doctor to see if your still alive .

Squaddie86
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Squaddie86 » 11 Nov 2017, 10:42

So, to recap:

Cas will go into next season with a first team missing one key player from their most successful super league campaign ever, and a number of squad players.

With 3 months to go until the new season people are screaming that Cas are throwing it all away by not replacing the best fullback in the country with an equally good fullback, and that Cas have otherwise not made any "exciting " signings.

I would counter with this:

Warrington love a good "exciting" signing. Including last year getting England half Kevin Brown, who stated clearly that he went there to win trophies...

How did that work out for them?

I'm not going to pretend I'm 100% happy with our recruitment - I feel some squad depth has been lost and Hardaker will leave a massive hole in our first 17 that only Billy Slater could fill... But it's not all doom and gloom. There's still time for the squad to be replenished post World Cup, and Powell is a savvy coach, and with more than 1 day to prepare for life without Zak we will adapt.