Greens signs 1 year

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: Greens signs 1 year

Post by HuddsTigers » 03 Nov 2017, 21:29

onetiger wrote:he fell out with some of the back room staff at leigh
so is playing time was limited
And was injured too. Personally think this may signal the end of Maher at the end of the season. Both big units, time to step up.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 03 Nov 2017, 21:49

We all crave these big name signings but maybe Powell ain't interested in em? Maybe he prefers players with a certain skill set or quality that he can utilize? Maybe these ones buy into his mantra?
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

Bramley Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bramley Tiger » 03 Nov 2017, 22:18

we really are trying our best to do a Huddersfield and warrington with the rubbish we are signing.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 03 Nov 2017, 22:26

Bramley Tiger wrote:we really are trying our best to do a Huddersfield and warrington with the rubbish we are signing.

A Warrington? They spend big and never succeed. Not sure on that one.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 03 Nov 2017, 22:35

the machine wrote:We all crave these big name signings but maybe Powell ain't interested in em? Maybe he prefers players with a certain skill set or quality that he can utilize? Maybe these ones buy into his mantra?
Or the budget he has to work with is so tight it squeaks?

We can all look to Salford a few years ago to see what happens when you throw lots of big name signings together. But i'd take an experienced forward to lead from the front in the early exchanges...what Lynch did for 3 seasons until the cavalry arrived off the bench.

Time will tell on Clark & Green...and Gadwin for that matter. Optimistic for Douglas and Massey to get even better (wouldn't have said that a few years ago)!

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 03 Nov 2017, 22:36

Casmoley wrote:
Bramley Tiger wrote:we really are trying our best to do a Huddersfield and warrington with the rubbish we are signing.

Not won S.L yet but won 3 Challenge Cups in 4 year!. Think we'd like that.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 03 Nov 2017, 22:46

If zak hadnt (REMOVED)up i think we would have only needed to have made one more decent signing of a established prop to be in a very strong position again only if we get a lot of injurys or we dont make right call on who will be new full back can i see us sliding alarmingly down league table
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Jonny1975
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jonny1975 » 04 Nov 2017, 01:15

Totally bewildered at the level of calibre we are signing. We are the current League Leaders Shield holders for God's sake. We are recruiting worse than a team being newly relegated out of the same league. Are we on the breadline cos these mediocre signings would suggest so.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 04 Nov 2017, 01:17

I think Powell has enough credit in the bank for us to accept his decisions at the moment.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 04 Nov 2017, 05:25

Jonny1975 wrote:Totally bewildered at the level of calibre we are signing. We are the current League Leaders Shield holders for God's sake. We are recruiting worse than a team being newly relegated out of the same league. Are we on the breadline cos these mediocre signings would suggest so.
The team out of the league who have a blank slate due to all contracts being null and void.

We have a current squad of 30+ players all with contracts in place.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 04 Nov 2017, 08:21

duke street 10 wrote:
Casmoley wrote:

Not won S.L yet but won 3 Challenge Cups in 4 year!. Think we'd like that.
Bloody hell. That run finished five seasons ago. Nowt like hanging on to past glories.

Bramley Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bramley Tiger » 04 Nov 2017, 08:30

nottinghamtiger wrote:I think Powell has enough credit in the bank for us to accept his decisions at the moment.
this gets bandied about far too often for my liking.its not as if powell hasn't signed plenty of crap forwards before-bailey,carvell,crossley,moore,tickle et al.signings like green and clark can't be considered in the same category as mcmeeken who we took a chance on with a really young unproven player.these players are proven its just that they are not top super league players.we get any injuries this year then we are struggling for top 8 with these players coming in.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 04 Nov 2017, 09:14

The bookies are taking no chances with us last time I looked we were JT FAVS to win the league, When Green played at Hull KR if I remember rightly he had some cracking games, can anyone confirm the lads height and weight and his playing record at Hull KR ??

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 04 Nov 2017, 09:35

Folk want a big aggressive prop.. he's one of the tallest in the league and you only have to search YouTube to see him having a punch up with burns & knock out cox. So aggression is there! The problem with a sniff of success is folk expect certain signings. I really don't understand how half you lot on here haven't learnt to give lads a chance before slating them. We gave Bailey a chance it didn't work, it won't all the time.. but how many have worked?? I hope he, Ellis, Lo & Clark come in and kill it. I suppose it'll still be same old this time next year even if they do. If it's major signings that are in it for the money & No heart what so ever you're after, I hear Warrington have season tickets available.

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 04 Nov 2017, 11:30

the machine wrote:We all crave these big name signings but maybe Powell ain't interested in em? Maybe he prefers players with a certain skill set or quality that he can utilize? Maybe these ones buy into his mantra?
Agree with this.Every signing DP makes has something to prove and green fits that criteria

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 04 Nov 2017, 12:55

Casmoley wrote:Folk want a big aggressive prop.. he's one of the tallest in the league and you only have to search YouTube to see him having a punch up with burns & knock out cox. So aggression is there! The problem with a sniff of success is folk expect certain signings. I really don't understand how half you lot on here haven't learnt to give lads a chance before slating them. We gave Bailey a chance it didn't work, it won't all the time.. but how many have worked?? I hope he, Ellis, Lo & Clark come in and kill it. I suppose it'll still be same old this time next year even if they do. If it's major signings that are in it for the money & No heart what so ever you're after, I hear Warrington have season tickets available.

Exactly and if we were to sign a quality expensive prop and he plays sh*t then the same people on here will moan its a waste of money and we shouldn't have bought him.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 04 Nov 2017, 12:58

duke street 10 wrote:
Or the budget he has to work with is so tight it squeaks?

We can all look to Salford a few years ago to see what happens when you throw lots of big name signings together. But i'd take an experienced forward to lead from the front in the early exchanges...what Lynch did for 3 seasons until the cavalry arrived off the bench.

Time will tell on Clark & Green...and Gadwin for that matter. Optimistic for Douglas and Massey to get even better (wouldn't have said that a few years ago)!

We have replaced Lynch (who lets be fair last year only played 20mins per game and not every game at 37) we with mid 20 year olds that have some size about them, eager, tough, enthusiastic to prove they are worthy to play in out team.

If they run it in hard and make plenty of yards they will be doing a job for us

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 04 Nov 2017, 13:10

Had a look at some stats last night.

The lad makes on average 7m per carry and that’s in a poor side. When he was at KR, it was 7.5m. That’s up there with some of the best.

For what it’s worth, Millington made 6.13m per carry last season. If he makes metres and goes forward he’s doing his job well.

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 04 Nov 2017, 13:49

HuddsTigers wrote:Had a look at some stats last night.

The lad makes on average 7m per carry and that’s in a poor side. When he was at KR, it was 7.5m. That’s up there with some of the best.

For what it’s worth, Millington made 6.13m per carry last season. If he makes metres and goes forward he’s doing his job well.
Stats are easily misleading
Alex Walmsley made the most metres Last Season and more than the NRL leader Jason Taumalolo.
4256 against 4230
Then he did play 8 more games....

Comparing his Stats to Millo is laughable and a typical blinkered response.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 04 Nov 2017, 13:59

To use stats that say "He made 3 feet more per carry" is embarrassing and means nothing. 3 feet? Really?

How many tries did he set up and or score? How does he link up with his team? How quick is he? Is he good with the ball in his hands?

To then add that he "Plays in a weaker team" is also not a good argument. Question is why is he in a weak team in the first place?

There is usually a very good reason why?