New Ground for Cas or NOT !

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Craigy B
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: New Ground for Cas or NOT !

Post by Craigy B » 31 Jul 2019, 10:22

I wouldn’t consider myself to be a small fella, and when I’ve had to in the past I’ve been able to handle myself. But walking through Cas town centre the other evening with my 5 month old daughter was a very intimidating experience. It’s not somewhere I’d encourage my mrs or older kids to go.

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 31 Jul 2019, 10:50

[quote="Craigy B"]I wouldn’t consider myself to be a small fella, and when I’ve had to in the past I’ve been able to handle myself. But walking through Cas town centre the other evening with my 5 month old daughter was a very intimidating experience. It’s not somewhere I’d encourage my mrs or older kids to go.[/quotto thee]
Unfortunately cas now is full off 20 to 50 year old men who have no prospects or money twenty years ago would have being working in one off big factory's or down pit no nothing but low paid warehouse work throw that we inagrants attached itselfs to the town don't look good

lidds
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by lidds » 31 Jul 2019, 13:23

HuddsTigers wrote:Making car parking free will have zero effect. There is absolutely nothing attractive about shopping in Cas.

People would rather spend £4 on a train journey to Leeds than 60p for an hour in Cas.

Reality is that it is the shops and attracting shops back into town centres that is going to make a difference. Parking and such like only adds to that.

A lot of people have grown up here in different generations to Millennials and Gen Z. Young people are the ones you need to target and free parking isn’t going to change that.

It’s modern retail offering, event and experiential shopping. When was the last time Cas town Centre had anything as basic as a food festival, beer festival or anything like that?

Our council is run by outdated people and it desperately needs young people with fresh ideas and who have grown up in the modern day era to do something about it.

I agree with you Hudds, It wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to me if the parking was free. whereas some decent shops would make me go.

Just because its free isn't going to make me think "Brill there is still naff all to go look at but hey its free so may aswell go"

lidds
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by lidds » 31 Jul 2019, 13:26

flow wrote:You only to walk round junction 31 plenty off empty units there always shutting down there's to much competition in the area with white rose. The big one at Sheffield my opinion we won't get Axiom no chance they have even took there own signs down. But on the positive I think we will still get the stadium down their but be funded with somebody taking the land off Axiom to build massive houses project simalar across road at Old Prince Wales site . my prediction from beginning . This not a, Stab in the dark now people but just my opinion. Like don't shoot it down it is a forum. ;)
Could be to do with the kind of shops junction 32 has. Not everyone wants 'Bargains bargains bargains'

If Axiom had some decent high street shops that the younger generation are interested in (Zara, H&M, Mango, River Island, Topman, Topshop) those kind (Or just look at Trinity in leeds) I'm sure it would be a lot more popular

Adelaide Tigurrrr!
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Adelaide Tigurrrr! » 31 Jul 2019, 13:55

I used to work for Wakey Met and worked with the Castleford Town Centre Partnership in the late 1990’s.

Back then business people, and I am sure that Robbo was one of them, asked if the Council would waive parking fees on all car parks in Cas town centre for a few weeks running up to Christmas. The Council did that but guess what ..... all the people that worked in the town centre and had a car chose to park all day in the car parks.

By 10am on the first Saturday all the parking in Cas was full and the Council got hammered because shoppers could not find anywhere to park.

Free parking by itself is not the answer.

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 31 Jul 2019, 13:56

lidds wrote:
flow wrote:You only to walk round junction 31 plenty off empty units there always shutting down there's to much competition in the area with white rose. The big one at Sheffield my opinion we won't get Axiom no chance they have even took there own signs down. But on the positive I think we will still get the stadium down their but be funded with somebody taking the land off Axiom to build massive houses project simalar across road at Old Prince Wales site . my prediction from beginning . This not a, Stab in the dark now people but just my opinion. Like don't shoot it down it is a forum. ;)
Could be to do with the kind of shops junction 32 has. Not everyone wants 'Bargains bargains bargains'

If Axiom had some decent high street shops that the younger generation are interested in (Zara, H&M, Mango, River Island, Topman, Topshop) those kind (Or just look at Trinity in leeds) I'm sure it would be a lot more popular
The qestion top end off high Street supply's will ask them self is have people with in twenty mile off the area really got the money to buy top end products I would say the answer is no

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 31 Jul 2019, 14:30

The qestion top end off high Street supply's will ask them self is have people with in twenty mile off the area really got the money to buy top end products I would say the answer is no
Loads of people from Cas and Ponte go shopping at Leeds Trinity and White Rose - I'm sure they would rather do it in Cas Vegas.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 31 Jul 2019, 15:11

Talking of the town centre what constitutes as a pub crawl nowadays?

Used to start at the Prince of Wales Feathers and work your way up town in various boozers to The Maestro then if you were still standing/feeling lucky you hit the nightclubs (Jimmys,Kiosk...then Escapades/Legends in my younger days).

Cas is way behind Pontefract on this regard too.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 31 Jul 2019, 15:18

duke street 10 wrote:Talking of the town centre what constitutes as a pub crawl nowadays?

Used to start at the Prince of Wales Feathers and work your way up town in various boozers to The Maestro then if you were still standing/feeling lucky you hit the nightclubs (Jimmys,Kiosk...then Escapades/Legends in my younger days).

Nash
Junction
Lamplighters
Sports n Social
Weatherspoons
Lion
Tap n Tackle

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 31 Jul 2019, 15:20

flow wrote:
lidds wrote:

Some of the shops mentioned are not going to break the bank,we are talking high street shops not Harvey Nicholls.

Town centres are dead and tbh Carlton street wants flattening and starting again. Some of the people that loiter about threatening people and just generally making the place look untidy makes me frustratingly ashamed of where I come from. Times change and we have to move with them wether that’s big shopping outlets or internet shopping one thing is certain Castleford town centre has steadily gone down hill since the 90s and that includes what was also a great night out with bustling pubs and nightclubs.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 31 Jul 2019, 15:22

Fumper27 wrote:
duke street 10 wrote:Talking of the town centre what constitutes as a pub crawl nowadays?

Nash
Junction
Lamplighters
Sports n Social
Weatherspoons
Lion
Tap n Tackle
Do you need a gum shield to go in those places?! (excuse the Lion in that) :)

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 31 Jul 2019, 15:25

duke street 10 wrote:
Fumper27 wrote:

Nash
Junction
Lamplighters
Sports n Social
Weatherspoons
Lion
Tap n Tackle
Do you need a gum shield to go in those places?! (excuse the Lion in that) :)
I’ve heard you have to be decked out in full ice hockey protective clothing!!!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 31 Jul 2019, 15:25

You need to be into heavy metal to go in Lion id swerve that on Fumpers pub crawl :)
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 31 Jul 2019, 15:26

Fumper27 wrote:

Nash
Junction
Lamplighters
Sports n Social
Weatherspoons
Lion
Tap n Tackle
You cannot even compare cas of the 90s to cas of today for a night out. Weekends saw people travel from all over for a night around cas when people would overflow into the streets during summer. You felt like you were missing out if you stayed in. It’s a completely different experience now and not for the better.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 31 Jul 2019, 15:27

tigerfeat wrote:On a lighter note last winter there was a bloke begging outside co-op I went into Greggs and got him a chicken bake and a cup of tea , he looked in bag and said aww I don't like them can you go swop it for a bacon sarnie :)
Blimey a picky Tramp! :shock:

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 31 Jul 2019, 15:37

braytontiger wrote:
Fumper27 wrote:

Nash
Junction
Lamplighters
Sports n Social
Weatherspoons
Lion
Tap n Tackle
You cannot even compare cas of the 90s to cas of today for a night out. Weekends saw people travel from all over for a night around cas when people would overflow into the streets during summer. You felt like you were missing out if you stayed in. It’s a completely different experience now and not for the better.
Yeah spent many a time nearly getting run over stood outside The Mexborough/Horse & Jockey in the height of summer!. You aren't wrong i knew people from Rothwell, Hunslet,Stanley for example who went to Cas regular on a weekend in the early 90s. Good times!

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 31 Jul 2019, 15:46

duke street 10 wrote:
braytontiger wrote:
Fumper27 wrote:

Nash
Junction
Lamplighters
Sports n Social
Weatherspoons
Lion
Tap n Tackle
Yeah spent many a time nearly getting run over stood outside The Mexborough/Horse & Jockey in the height of summer!. You aren't wrong i knew people from Rothwell, Hunslet,Stanley for example who went to Cas regular on a weekend in the early 90s. Good times!
Agree with both these posts

PS - I wasn’t listing a pub crawl merely the only pubs remaining open in town :oops:

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 31 Jul 2019, 15:49

Station ...was ok last time I was in there
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 31 Jul 2019, 15:51

Fumper27 wrote:
duke street 10 wrote:
braytontiger wrote:
Fumper27 wrote:

Nash
Junction
Lamplighters
Sports n Social
Weatherspoons
Lion
Tap n Tackle
Agree with both these posts

PS - I wasn’t listing a pub crawl merely the only pubs remaining open in town :oops:
Fair to say you need your wits about you in some of the places still open. Reading whats happened in The Old Legion wasn't pleasant was it? :shock:

lidds
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by lidds » 31 Jul 2019, 16:06

flow wrote:
lidds wrote:

Top end products? hardly. There is a nice middle ground between the bargain shops in Cas at the moment (And Junction 32) and high end. that at the moment you have to travel either to Leeds to get.

And I would say yes there will be huge amount of people within 20 miles that can afford your typical high street stores ,which really aren't that expensive. Stick in some half decent places to eat (Again something Castleford and Junction 32 are severely lacking)I'm not even talking fancy a la carte dining. Just some variety / places that are popular such as Wagamamas, Five guys, Yo Sushi, those kind of places.