New Ground for Cas or NOT !

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Re: New Ground for Cas or NOT !

Post by TheSheriff » 23 Jul 2019, 22:42

sirocco7 wrote:Why don’t you do what I did and contact Philip Lunn directly ?
Mainly because he's been nothing but negative towards Axiom since it was announced...

Almost like he has some kind of vested interest :-"

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 23 Jul 2019, 22:47

Robbo wrote:I can’t find any property co who want exposure to retail.
Everyone is reducing if they can.
We were late with the supermarket and it’s a fair chance we have missed the boat again.
Fingers crossed I am wrong but my word it’s no more than a 10% chance
Robbo
Everyone is reducing out of date town centre retail*. Everyone is moving towards experiental-led retail, which harnesses technology and innovation.

This is what Marks and Spencer notes in their financial results. They want to get rid of their old stores built in the likes of 30s-60s, which aren’t fit for purpose any more.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 24 Jul 2019, 07:53

retailing in the high st as i have known it is as now in a fast decline ,my wife and i still go shopping like we have done all our long lives most weeks we notice another shop as gone under , something must be done to get people out and about if the new retail parks are the answer bring it on

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 24 Jul 2019, 08:36

How things have changed in cas from 40 years or so go in the town centre
Take out the banks charity shops pawnbroker type shops bookies ( two or which will be closing in the next month or so ) not a great deal will soon remain
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 24 Jul 2019, 08:41

tigerfeat wrote:How things have changed in cas from 40 years or so go in the town centre
Take out the banks charity shops pawnbroker type shops bookies ( two or which will be closing in the next month or so ) not a great deal will soon remain
Sadly also down to the demographic of people in Cas, and WMDC, as a whole.

All the big shops and main brands go to Leeds because it's higher earning, more affluent and have more disposable income. Bigger population, bigger footfall. Polar opposites to WMDC where it's low income jobs, service jobs, and people have to scrimp and save.

If ever WMDC wants to compete, it has to put together a coherent plan as to how they can make the district attractive to retailers financially, how it can appeal businesses to move into the area, and how they would turn town centres into entertainment venues almost.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 24 Jul 2019, 09:05

I found it sad yesterday not just with the shops situation I must have been asked 4 or 5 times by people who looked out of it on drugs or drink for money I told one of them id no change he said F off then and have a nice day ha
Another fella was stood in the middle of road looked like he was trying to get himself run over
Maybe I picked a bad day but I just thought to mesen shouldn't be like this
Vince Lombardi

Casmania
Verified

Post by Casmania » 24 Jul 2019, 09:17

HuddsTigers wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:How things have changed in cas from 40 years or so go in the town centre

All the big shops and main brands go to Leeds because it's higher earning, more affluent and have more disposable income. Bigger population, bigger footfall. Polar opposites to WMDC where it's low income jobs, service jobs, and people have to scrimp and save.

If ever WMDC wants to compete, it has to put together a coherent plan as to how they can make the district attractive to retailers financially, how it can appeal businesses to move into the area, and how they would turn town centres into entertainment venues almost.
Leeds does have a thriving commercial heart with strong finance, banking and insurance sectors and was Britain’s fastest growing city in 2016. Yet, the city also has some of the country’s poorest neighbourhoods and at one time was ranked 3rd most deprived city in England.
I would hardly call Gipton, Harehills, Chapletown, Armley, Halton Moor, Beeston, Hunslet, Seacroft, Hawksworth etc affluent.

MY CLUB. MY CAS

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 24 Jul 2019, 09:22

successive councils have ruined town centres when they pedestrianised all of them yet forgot to make carparks to keep people coming into town centres hence all the out of town shopping with FREE PARKING = dead town centres :roll:

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 24 Jul 2019, 09:33

You only to walk round junction 31 plenty off empty units there always shutting down there's to much competition in the area with white rose. The big one at Sheffield my opinion we won't get Axiom no chance they have even took there own signs down. But on the positive I think we will still get the stadium down their but be funded with somebody taking the land off Axiom to build massive houses project simalar across road at Old Prince Wales site . my prediction from beginning . This not a, Stab in the dark now people but just my opinion. Like don't shoot it down it is a forum. ;)

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 24 Jul 2019, 10:04

tigerfeat wrote:I found it sad yesterday not just with the shops situation I must have been asked 4 or 5 times by people who looked out of it on drugs or drink for money I told one of them id no change he said F off then and have a nice day ha
Another fella was stood in the middle of road looked like he was trying to get himself run over
That’s a standard day mate I’m afraid.like a scene from walking dead most days

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 24 Jul 2019, 10:15

Scoopage wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:I found it sad yesterday not just with the shops situation I must have been asked 4 or 5 times by people who looked out of it on drugs or drink for money I told one of them id no change he said F off then and have a nice day ha
Since starting turning all builders and old pubs into flats for x cons and smack heads all these dodgy polish romanian shops what shooting down selling cheap imported alcohol to these losers

43s flyer
League One Player
League One Player

Post by 43s flyer » 24 Jul 2019, 11:54

Cas and surrounding areas started going into decline after the pits were shut.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 24 Jul 2019, 13:06

Town centre decline is common throughout the country as people’s shopping habits change. Amazon, Next on line, ebay have grown massively. Add to that the point about coal mining areas declining, plus other communities dependent on industry such as steel, etc, pressure is on retailers to change. M&S are not only closing stores, they are putting new ones in strategic sites out of towns where people go shopping for a day out rather than because they are shopping from necessity, so there is still the need for development.
If people used town centres, they wouldn’t have declined. Supermarkets started the trend, technology has continued it.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 24 Jul 2019, 13:18

Casmania wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:

Leeds does have a thriving commercial heart with strong finance, banking and insurance sectors and was Britain’s fastest growing city in 2016. Yet, the city also has some of the country’s poorest neighbourhoods and at one time was ranked 3rd most deprived city in England.
I would hardly call Gipton, Harehills, Chapletown, Armley, Halton Moor, Beeston, Hunslet, Seacroft, Hawksworth etc affluent.
You're right - it does some have areas that are less than glamorous but that goes without saying for most cities. Most of the areas you mention now are being invested in by people buying properties, doing them up and then renting them out to professionals and/or students.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 24 Jul 2019, 13:21

flow wrote:
Scoopage wrote:
Since starting turning all builders and old pubs into flats for x cons and smack heads all these dodgy polish romanian shops what shooting down selling cheap imported alcohol to these losers
There's certainly a different atmosphere in the town than there used to be ...most places will be the same I imagine tho in these days
Vince Lombardi

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 24 Jul 2019, 14:52

it is interesting, I live away now in a small town in Leicestershire, I travel back regularly that being said.

I have to say I used to live in the houses near Xscape and thought at the time that Jct 32 and Xscape would be a permanent change, but the world and retail have changed so much since that it is a struggle to fill units in the most attractive locations, goodness only knows how hard It is to run a shop in the town centre.
The genesis of the problems is open to debate of course, but it is far from a short term fix.

One would think it unlikely with the availability of real estate in this area that a new development across the road from two venues not already fully populated would be unlikely as others have mentioned.

Robbo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Robbo » 27 Jul 2019, 19:39

sirocco7 wrote:
Robbo wrote:I can’t find any property co who want exposure to retail.
Everyone is reducing if they can.
We were late with the supermarket and it’s a fair chance we have missed the boat again.
Fingers crossed I am wrong but my word it’s no more than a 10% chance
Robbo

Why don’t you do what I did and contact Philip Lunn directly ? He was very poitive 3 weeks ago and I have reason to disbelieve him. Incase you missed my post here it is again .

“Michael

Thanks for making contact.

We continue to make very significant progress on Axiom. I don’t want to guarantee the end of the summer as politics and Brexit has kept tripping us up - but we are getting close.

Please bear with us and be reassured Axiom will be delivered.

Best wishes & kindest regards

PL”
I think with 40 plus years in the industry and a load of assets in shops and commercial property I can read the situation.
If parking was free towns would have a chance.
Until that happens the decline continues.
Now we have on line.
It’s my view.
Truth is always best !

corvusxiii
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by corvusxiii » 27 Jul 2019, 23:57

I think with 40 plus years in the industry and a load of assets in shops and commercial property I can read the situation. 
If parking was free towns would have a chance. 
Until that happens the decline continues.
Now we have on line. 
It’s my view.

This.
To finish last in the Tour de France, first you must finish.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 28 Jul 2019, 09:15

councils make millions on towns car parks, but at the expense of shops closing, so losing business rates as you give people less reason to go into town so the car parks income will drop, as its been said online shopping as also given the shops a big hit

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 28 Jul 2019, 10:58

Making car parking free will have zero effect. There is absolutely nothing attractive about shopping in Cas.

People would rather spend £4 on a train journey to Leeds than 60p for an hour in Cas.

Reality is that it is the shops and attracting shops back into town centres that is going to make a difference. Parking and such like only adds to that.

A lot of people have grown up here in different generations to Millennials and Gen Z. Young people are the ones you need to target and free parking isn’t going to change that.

It’s modern retail offering, event and experiential shopping. When was the last time Cas town Centre had anything as basic as a food festival, beer festival or anything like that?

Our council is run by outdated people and it desperately needs young people with fresh ideas and who have grown up in the modern day era to do something about it.