2018 Squad

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: 2018 Squad

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 19 Oct 2017, 19:01

HuddsTigers wrote:
Lofthouse Tiger wrote:Is that not an indication as to what fans who have seen him regularly think? I would say so. They will have a better idea than we do.
Except we also have an idea about what Ellis can do given he's played for us too. I remember people slating Sneyd, Gale, McShane, McMeeken, etc on here. All to be proven wrong.
Sorry to mention, but Solomona from the London fire sale too and before him Finn

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 19 Oct 2017, 19:02

French and Welsh internationals? Really HT?

Hardaker, Shenny and Gale are well known top players and have been internationals at the top level.

How many "Good players" do Lebanon or Russia have? We have a world Cup of many "Rugby league playing nations". How many have any chance of winning it?

How many of those Toronto players would you take HT? Probably none unless DP signed one. Then he would be Superb and Or huge signings.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 19 Oct 2017, 19:05

Yes we did have Ellis yet we let him leave. What has he done since? If he was that good Hudds would have kept him.

He has won as many trophies, medals and international caps as me and you have.
Last edited by Lofthouse Tiger on 19 Oct 2017, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 19 Oct 2017, 19:09

People who have supported the club a long time will have seen other great sides break up and fall away no one can bargin for what happened to zak but they want to see exciting signings brought in to move the club upwards and onwards and yeah get excited about
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 19 Oct 2017, 20:00

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:French and Welsh internationals? Really HT?

Hardaker, Shenny and Gale are well known top players and have been internationals at the top level.

How many "Good players" do Lebanon or Russia have? We have a world Cup of many "Rugby league playing nations". How many have any chance of winning it?

How many of those Toronto players would you take HT? Probably none unless DP signed one. Then he would be Superb and Or huge signings.
Gale has never been an international until last year. Hardaker has been in and out the England set up due to form and his indiscretions. Shenton has been the member of our squad to play consistently at a high level but even he’s been in and out the Eng squad.

I mentioned Wales and France as you said international players. I asked for clarification. In which case, Aus and NZ none because they don’t pick players from over here bar Leuluai in recent years. Most of the current Eng squad play in the NRL too and/or are the highest paid players at their clubs and now centrally contracted too in some respects. So being on a central contract means they could be on £150k plus. And they have to want to leave their current club and be available. So let’s be realistic, the only internationals we can realistically target are those outside the big 3.

As for the Toronto squad, I’d have Westerman back. Of their League 1 squad, no. But that wasn’t my point either. The point was are they League 1 players? No they aren’t. Some may well be lower SL/back-up players, some will be Championship players.

Just like not all players playing in the Champ are Champ standard. Shaun Lunt is a SL player, Carney definitely is.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 19 Oct 2017, 20:02

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:Yes we did have Ellis yet we let him leave. What has he done since? If he was that good Hudds would have kept him.

As has Jake Mamo but some want him in our team too.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 19 Oct 2017, 21:10

I think a few people are failing to understand the concept of the salary cap and contracted players. The new contracts that were penned earlier this year wasn't done at the same rate of pay,all will have been improved deals which comes out of this years cap.i never heard anyone complaint at the time everyone was pleased we were keeping a winning team together.

Another thing is I keep reading we should sign walmsley,sign burgess,go for him sign them. This isn't football manager where you can start again when you go bankrupt.these signings we have made will have been done before we knew what hardaker had done,put him into this squad and I'd have been quietly confident of going back to old Trafford,however it looks like he's done so we have to manage the players we do have until a replacement can be found at the right cost which won't happen over night.

We have had a taste of success and yes we all want more and we may well see more over the next few years.have a little faith in the players and coaching team to deliver after all they haven't been too shabby have they?

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 19 Oct 2017, 21:14

One thing I know we do is staggered contracts.. say Gale signs a 4 year deal it could be
Year 1 £100k
year 2 £110k
year 3 £120k
Year 4 £130k (just a example)

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 19 Oct 2017, 21:34

Casmoley wrote:One thing I know we do is staggered contracts.. say Gale signs a 4 year deal it could be
Year 1 £100k
year 2 £110k
year 3 £120k
The RFL stopped clubs back-ending contracts to manipulate the salary cap years ago.
The salary for each year is now averaged over the length of the contract for salary cap purposes. So if Gale was on the hypothetical deal above, he would be worth £115 per year on the cap.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 19 Oct 2017, 21:35

nottinghamtiger wrote:
Casmoley wrote:One thing I know we do is staggered contracts.. say Gale signs a 4 year deal it could be
Year 1 £100k
year 2 £110k
year 3 £120k
The RFL stopped clubs back-ending contracts to manipulate the salary cap years ago.
The salary for each year is now averaged over the length of the contract for salary cap purposes. So if Gale was on the hypothetical deal above, he would be worth £115 per year on the cap.

Wouldn't say it's manipulation. More of a pay rise every year like many people get in everyday jobs (I wish)

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 19 Oct 2017, 21:41

Casmoley wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:
Year 1 £100k
year 2 £110k
year 3 £120k

Wouldn't say it's manipulation. More of a pay rise every year like many people get in everyday jobs (I wish)
It was being used to manipulate the cap though. I think it was Fielden who had a very low salary in year 1 but was on a massive salary by the end of his deal.
Clubs can still offer incremental contracts, but as far as the salary cap is concerned each year is an average of the salary over the length of the contract.

takethetwo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by takethetwo » 20 Oct 2017, 09:50

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:Yes we did have Ellis yet we let him leave. What has he done since? If he was that good Hudds would have kept him.

When Jamie left us he was a 24 year old playing hooker still learning his trade.
Brough, Briers,Gale, Long

Neither of these players really hit their peak until 26/27 years old. Jamie will at least do more next season than Chase did this season.