England

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: England

Post by cogito ergo sum » 09 Oct 2017, 17:20

Ryan Hall is a proven international winger, with defensive qualities which are better than Greg's. In tight games with high quality opposition trying to expose every weakness, Hall has done it before.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 09 Oct 2017, 17:23

Eden I'm not concerned about. It's not like he's chosen 3 wingers and Eden hasn't made the cut. He's chosen two wingers who are good at bringing the ball back and have strength close to the line. I don't mind those selections.

However, the whole selection shouts of Denis Betts as the assistant. He's the Assistant and meant to be the guy monitoring England games so that's the only reason people like Brown will have got in.

Squad shouts name, club and nationality over form. It's about time we had a coach that shook the whole thing up and picked players on merit and form.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

SFOtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SFOtiger » 09 Oct 2017, 17:46

Feel sorry for Eden - not sure what he has to do to get in.

However the real head-scratchers for me are Sneyd and Shaul - both class and been exceptional this year. How can you pick Brown ahead of Sneyd and Ratchford ahead of Shaul?

tigers8rhinos

Post by tigers8rhinos » 09 Oct 2017, 18:32

dont agree with people saying good only 2 in england squad as we need to be seen as a team were players can progress to international level or else players will stick to same big clubs. also when team was annouced was anyone else expecting benson and hedges to be read out

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 09 Oct 2017, 18:34

mart0042 wrote:Bateman hasn't played many games, neither has Brown. Currie only 2.

I could understand Hall and Watkins if they played in the same side. Lots of props especially if oloughlin plays 13.

No natural fullback either.

Can't wait until DP gets the job and does away with some of these.
Bateman and Currie are outstanding players, no issue with their selection
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

takethetwo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by takethetwo » 10 Oct 2017, 09:54

For me Liam Watts is the best prop we have .
Graham looks jaded and the Burgess boys dont look near the same level.
To be left out of the Dream Team was bizarre enough but to not get in the England side is shocking.
Wayne Bennett must not watch any SL.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 10 Oct 2017, 11:43

the machine wrote:
mart0042 wrote:Bateman hasn't played many games, neither has Brown. Currie only 2.

I could understand Hall and Watkins if they played in the same side. Lots of props especially if oloughlin plays 13.

No natural fullback either.

Can't wait until DP gets the job and does away with some of these.
Bateman and Currie are outstanding players, no issue with their selection
But Currie has only played 2 games so isn't match fit and no pre season. Not going to be much use. Bateman, though a good player hasn't broken any pots since coming back after a long time out.

The squad has to be picked form and fitness. There isn't much time to the first match and we've not got the luxury of a tour where you are playing twice a week. IMHO.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 10 Oct 2017, 12:26

National squads are never picked on form or fitness though so don't understand why everyone gets their stuff in a twist over it
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 10 Oct 2017, 12:53

the machine wrote:National squads are never picked on form or fitness though so don't understand why everyone gets their stuff in a twist over it
It's true. Not one of our '99 team made the GB squad for example ( although we did have a few in the England squad which was the second string in those days)

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 10 Oct 2017, 13:17

Just glad Sam Tomkins missed out.

johnnya

Post by johnnya » 11 Oct 2017, 15:27

Looks like the squad was chosen before the season started rather than after it had finished!

Oldcasman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Oldcasman » 11 Oct 2017, 16:19

Must agree with most people's views about this Aussie coach how on earth can he pick players on form when he is in Australia, and if he's going on his assistants choice of players then we are in for another set of hidings,let's look at betts ability was a great player but don't think he can cut it in coaching as has proved that with Widnes once again we are in for a hammering thanks to those running the game not having a clue about rugby,it proves what them and betts knows when they overlook a winger scoring 40 try's for players that are past it.