DRUGS

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
fords
League One Player
League One Player

Re: DRUGS

Post by fords » 09 Oct 2017, 10:37

Matt wrote:Sack him and we lose everything - he signed a 4yr deal with us so the club should hold the players registration. Anyone wants to sign him after the ban then they'll have to pay.
Nobody will buy a player that cant play for 2yrs

Matt
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @invmatt

Post by Matt » 09 Oct 2017, 10:37

Archibel wrote:
Matt wrote:Sack him and we lose everything - he signed a 4yr deal with us so the club should hold the players registration. Anyone wants to sign him after the ban then they'll have to pay.
So you want to pay him a wage for 2 years while he sits on his thumbs serving a ban?
If you don't, the clubs only option is to cut him loose immediately.
He has only been suspended, until the outcome has been decided. It could be the standard 2yr ban or something else. Could be wrong but I think he can't be paid as a rugby player anyway once he has been banned and holding the registration just stops anyone else from coming in and signing him down the line.
For website related issues or queries please contact the admin account as I no longer own or maintain Casforum.

Matt
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Matt » 09 Oct 2017, 10:38

fords wrote:
Didn't mention buying him straight away, I said after the ban.
For website related issues or queries please contact the admin account as I no longer own or maintain Casforum.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 09 Oct 2017, 10:39

philipjkelly wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:The average time for cocaine to be undetectable in a urine sample is 24 hours, so he has either taken in the day before the game or taken a massive amount earlier in the week.
If it is detected 'in competition' (as in this case) then it's deemed to be performance enhancing.
At 25, he can still return to the game if he gets a two year ban. Do we do what Wigan did with Hock and offer him a road to redemption? Two years working 9-5 as a member of staff might make him realise how real life works. If he is sufficiently well behaved, he could play again in two years time and he will still only be 27.
Agree re: road to redemption. As difficult as it will be for a lot of people in and around the club he needs support rather than throwing under a bus. Serve the ban, do your time, get a different group of "friends", keep your head down and your nose clean (literally and metaphorically). Make him add value to the club in some way even if it's not on the pitch.

Look at David Millar in cycling. From drug user to a voice helping efforts to clean up the sport.

But a number of people need to make a change. Starting with Zak.
The problem is he has had support before and still makes stupid decisions.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 09 Oct 2017, 10:40

tigerfeat wrote:what happens now ,does the club saying there going to appeal mean hes going to stay at cas ..like hock did at wigan?

Do they players and DP want him after letting them down in the clubs biggest week in history ?

Looking at them on the pitch on Sat i'd so they don't

Talented lad but a di*k off it

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 09 Oct 2017, 10:41

Matt wrote:
fords wrote:
Didn't mention buying him straight away, I said after the ban.

We might aswell keep him then. As in 2yrs time we still have the best FB in SL

philipjkelly

Post by philipjkelly » 09 Oct 2017, 10:43

nottinghamtiger wrote: The problem is he has had support before and still makes stupid decisions.
Can't disagree with that. Clearly the punishments for his previous actions haven't been enough to warrant a change in behaviour though.

Max n paddy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Max n paddy » 09 Oct 2017, 10:44

Fev1983 wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:
Fev1983 wrote:I genuinely feel for Darryl Powell on this one,,,you can tell by his voice and body language that he feels totally let down by this..
And looking at Saturday it totally affected your team which is a sad end to a great season all because some idiot wants to sniff cocaine :(
Nail hit on head mate the body language was totaly wrong i loved watching him this year but in end hes let a lot of people down
Yes it's quire sad really,,,I enjoy a bit of banter with cas lads when they lose and things go wrong etc,,but this is not funny and has cost you guys so much in money and potentially been champions,,and for that reason I really can't see him ever playing again at cas..
I saw him emerge on to the scene at fev but never thought then he would be such an arse off the field :(

It’s bigger than that , in my opinion, for Castleford to win the GF it would have been a massive statement for us called lower end clubs that it can be done, not just a dream of trying to challenge the big boys. !

Even with the massive rivalry!
Ding Dang Doo, Let the tiger see the rhino !!

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 09 Oct 2017, 10:46

How long did Rangi Chase get, does anybody know ?

Matt
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Matt » 09 Oct 2017, 10:47

fords wrote:How long did Rangi Chase get, does anybody know ?
Don't think the outcome of the case has been announced yet.

Dr?
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dr? » 09 Oct 2017, 10:49

nottinghamtiger wrote:
Dr? wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:The average time for cocaine to be undetectable in a urine sample is 24 hours, so he has either taken in the day before the game or taken a massive amount earlier in the week.
If it is detected 'in competition' (as in this case) then it's deemed to be performance enhancing.
At 25, he can still return to the game if he gets a two year ban. Do we do what Wigan did with Hock and offer him a road to redemption? Two years working 9-5 as a member of staff might make him realise how real life works. If he is sufficiently well behaved, he could play again in two years time and he will still only be 27.
Good post. I didn't know that it classed as performance enhancing, what a right load of old tosh that is!
Apart from it's not tosh. Cocaine gives the user a false sense of ability and increased confidence in their own abilities. In RL (as in most sports) confidence is a game-changer.
So does booze, but going onto the pitch loaded isn't going to aid anyone's performance. And to have even those effects, he'd need to be taking it before going onto the pitch, not have it in his system from a bender a couple of days previously. That's just gonna negatively affect his performance.

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/sport/re ... rt-doping/

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 09 Oct 2017, 10:55

philipjkelly wrote:
Agree re: road to redemption. As difficult as it will be for a lot of people in and around the club he needs support rather than throwing under a bus. Serve the ban, do your time, get a different group of "friends", keep your head down and your nose clean (literally and metaphorically). Make him add value to the club in some way even if it's not on the pitch.

Look at David Millar in cycling. From drug user to a voice helping efforts to clean up the sport.

This is hardly the first time he’s stepped out of line though is it? He hasn’t learned his lesson, he hasn’t changed his ‘mates’ and he won’t do, the bloke is just a grade A pillock. Street fights, homophobia, kicked out of the last world cup for drinking binges, making a play for a team mates wife at Leeds, how many chances does he want? He doesn’t deserve any help from the club he has just shafted good and proper and if thats throwing him under a bus then so be it, i’ll volunteer for the job and i hope there’s two coming at once.

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 09 Oct 2017, 10:57

Dr? wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:
Dr? wrote:
Good post. I didn't know that it classed as performance enhancing, what a right load of old tosh that is!
Apart from it's not tosh. Cocaine gives the user a false sense of ability and increased confidence in their own abilities. In RL (as in most sports) confidence is a game-changer.
So does booze, but going onto the pitch loaded isn't going to aid anyone's performance. And to have even those effects, he'd need to be taking it before going onto the pitch, not have it in his system from a bender a couple of days previously. That's just gonna negatively affect his performance.

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/sport/re ... rt-doping/
It matter not really its BANNED. Not only that its ILLEGAL. He has broken the law of both the game and the land and tarnished the club and the games image. Throw the book at him.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 09 Oct 2017, 10:59

You can only get someone to pull their socks up if they have some to pull up. How much of the world do you have to have at your feet before you decide to throw it all away for a sniff?

Askham Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Askham Tiger » 09 Oct 2017, 11:03

The Firm wrote:
philipjkelly wrote:

This is hardly the first time he’s stepped out of line though is it? He hasn’t learned his lesson, he hasn’t changed his ‘mates’ and he won’t do, the bloke is just a grade A pillock. Street fights, homophobia, kicked out of the last world cup for drinking binges, making a play for a team mates wife at Leeds, how many chances does he want? .
Some sense at last. I repeat: Unless a big decision is made, the clubs name is tainted as it shows we condone it. We are not the Samaritans, we cannot give chance after chance to players who let us down, especially when it disrupts the biggest match in our history. Keep him and it affects our work with juniors and schools, it gives a terrible impression to them. I mean for crying out loud, speak to ten Cas supporting schoolkids and I bet half say he is their favourite player. Likewise can you imagine how we would look to our sponsors if we kept him? I do not think for one minute he'd serve his ban by being tucked up in bed at 9pm with a mug of ovaltine every night for next X years.

I have faith in Steve Gill to make the right decision here.

Archibel

Post by Archibel » 09 Oct 2017, 11:04

Aid wrote:RFL Statement
A Rugby Football League Spokesperson, said: "The Rugby Football League can confirm that Zak Hardaker is provisionally suspended from all competition after it received notification from UK Anti-Doping that he had tested positive for a banned substance following a Super 8s game between Castleford Tigers and Leeds Rhinos on September 8, 2017.
The RFL/UK Anti-Doping decision to communicate this to the club at the last moment before the Grand Final clearly harmed our preparations.

I wonder if they made it earlier than would have been the case under 'normal' circumstances; imagine the legal wrangles/negative press if Cas had won.

In my opinion, as soon as Cas won the Semi the RFL should have let the club know...at least we would have had a full week to prepare. I'm not saying it would have changed the outcome, but it might have.

Adelaide Tigurrrr!
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Adelaide Tigurrrr! » 09 Oct 2017, 11:07

I have always been anti drugs and have no sympathy forhim.

The wAy I have felt since the Final means I have no time for him or any lily livered excuse. He was given a chance by a coach, club and supporters that had faith in him and he has chucked that back in all our faces.

If he has taken cocaine with his mates I hope he now looks at them and realises he will now be looking for work alongside them, if they work at all, instead of being a possible GF winner and enjoying a World Cup campaign down under.

The club should just get rid of him and retain their dignity.

Casmania
Verified

Post by Casmania » 09 Oct 2017, 11:12

Archibel wrote:
Aid wrote:RFL Statement
A Rugby Football League Spokesperson, said: "The Rugby Football League can confirm that Zak Hardaker is provisionally suspended from all competition after it received notification from UK Anti-Doping that he had tested positive for a banned substance following a Super 8s game between Castleford Tigers and Leeds Rhinos on September 8, 2017.
The RFL/UK Anti-Doping decision to communicate this to the club at the last moment before the Grand Final clearly harmed our preparations.

I wonder if they made it earlier than would have been the case under 'normal' circumstances; imagine the legal wrangles/negative press if Cas had won.

In my opinion, as soon as Cas won the Semi the RFL should have let the club know...at least we would have had a full week to prepare. I'm not saying it would have changed the outcome, but it might have.
Nothing to do with the RFL, UKAD are the regulatory body, and as is the procedure the relevant sporting body, the individual and club ( if applicable) are notified immediately.
The club and RFL were notified at 10.00am on Thursday morning that Zac had provisionally failed a drugs test. He was immediately suspended. Official confirmation came through the following day.

MY CLUB. MY CAS

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 09 Oct 2017, 11:21

The club is now caught between a rock and a hard place. Really feel for Steve Gill and darryl and the players,fans we have had our fingers burnt big time for what? A lad to have a good night out although I don't doubt for one minute it was a one off. It takes the shine off our best ever season not to mention the thousands of pounds we have spent. Unbelievable talent with marbles between his lugs.

philipjkelly

Post by philipjkelly » 09 Oct 2017, 11:25

Askham Tiger wrote:Keep him and it affects our work with juniors and schools, it gives a terrible impression to them. I mean for crying out loud, speak to ten Cas supporting schoolkids and I bet half say he is their favourite player.
Fair point. Comes down to who kids are likely to listen to on something like this. Someone who's screwed up and honestly says so or someone who hasn't been in that situation and possibly has less authenticity in message.

Personal view is that it would be the former. That said, having read the Zak feature in Saturday's programme his words were pretty hollow so I'm not sure I would trust him to be honest to any kids he was speaking to.