1994 Regal Team v 2017 League Leaders

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: 1994 Regal Team v 2017 League Leaders

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 21 Nov 2017, 18:48

Oldcasman wrote:Regards this team being the best ever, personally I think if the 60s side were to play today's team I think the 60s side would win and more so If hardistys side had been full time like they are now then they would have Been awesome, I know it's hard to compare teams of the past with teams of the present but I have seen both and in my humble opinion I think they were better than today's.
Reilly's view last season was that this team is our best ever. That will do for me and I loved watching our great and successful team of the 60s which like this one learned from mistakes and got better

ron
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by ron » 21 Nov 2017, 19:07

The team of the sixties was tougher and had the brilliance of Hardisty. Nobody in the current team can match him but the 2017 Cas side was the smartest I have ever seen. I never thought I would see a team from Cas to better the one of the Hardisty era but week in, week out, last year's was the best. Happy days.

westyorkylad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westyorkylad » 22 Nov 2017, 13:25

The 1994 team were an outstanding team, and that year was their peak. We had been the 3rd best club in British RL for a couple of seasons behind far and away the best side a full time Wigan packed full of super stars and then an exceptionally good STs team packed with nearly as many but not quite.

In 1994 the teams best season, we reached the first final of the season the Regal Trophy and at that time in the early 90's everybody new who had one before a ball was kicked, it was Wigan, the only guess was who would face them and would they be able to keep the score respectable?

To go to Headingly that day and beat them was amazing, to do it without them scoring a try and then by the then biggest winning margin in a final was nothing short of amazing, that was why it was such a momentous occasion.

So was the 1994 team a better team who knows, but one thing is for sure the win in the regal trophy that year was nothing short of amazing!