1994 Regal Team v 2017 League Leaders

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: 1994 Regal Team v 2017 League Leaders

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 01 Oct 2017, 10:48

On reflection I agree. Although we stuffed Wigan twice that season the other time was against a makeshift side and we lost three key back end matches to them including a semi and a final. We had some great pplayers but it was nothing like as consistent as our current team and had some weaker links who would not make today's side
I still think the Regal win is arguably our best performance as a club though beating in mind Wigan was a team of full time internationals

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 01 Oct 2017, 11:03

therailwayendisnigh wrote:There were a few ex Cas in the team - Wayne Price who hasn't aged a day. Tony Marcant who is a lovely bloke. When Newlove and Lee Jackson walked in I thoug "I'm out of my depth here". It was a charity match at Knottingley Rugby Club. Steadman was my hero too, but I'm sorry to say that I didn't care for him much.
Saw Wayne pryce in town yesterday, looks like he could still play.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 01 Oct 2017, 11:08

therailwayendisnigh wrote:There were a few ex Cas in the team - Wayne Price who hasn't aged a day. Tony Marcant who is a lovely bloke. When Newlove and Lee Jackson walked in I thoug "I'm out of my depth here". It was a charity match at Knottingley Rugby Club. Steadman was my hero too, but I'm sorry to say that I didn't care for him much.
Do yo mean when you met him? Sadly that is often the case with heroes!

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 01 Oct 2017, 11:21

I'd have Blackmore and Nikau in our current team in a heartbeat. They were both ahead of their time with their fitness and general approach to the life of a professional athlete,
We should also remember the team of 1999. Whist they didn't make OT and didn't finish top of the league, that team won two play-off games, both away to teams who finished higher in the league (Leeds and Wigan). From that team I'd love to see Vowles, Fritz and Orr in our current squad.
If we lift the trophy on Saturday, this team will go down as the best we have ever had. However, with the current players all signed up for the future, I hope we are at the beginning of winning few years for the club. In the next three years, I'd like to see us win all the three trophies available. So far it's one down, one very close and one we need to aim for next season.

therailwayendisnigh
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by therailwayendisnigh » 01 Oct 2017, 13:34

old cas lass wrote:
Saw Wayne pryce in town yesterday, looks like he could still play.
He can still play, he was brilliant.

therailwayendisnigh
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by therailwayendisnigh » 01 Oct 2017, 13:36

Tamworth Tiger wrote:
Do yo mean when you met him? Sadly that is often the case with heroes!
Unfortunately so. He came across as a tad arrogant unfortunately. I was very disappointed:-(

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 01 Oct 2017, 20:10

To be fair to Crooksy that 94 team maybe would just edge it because after all they must all be 50 plus years old by now.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 01 Oct 2017, 22:04

nottinghamtiger wrote:I'd have Blackmore and Nikau in our current team in a heartbeat. They were both ahead of their time with their fitness and general approach to the life of a professional athlete,
We should also remember the team of 1999. Whist they didn't make OT and didn't finish top of the league, that team won two play-off games, both away to teams who finished higher in the league (Leeds and Wigan). From that team I'd love to see Vowles, Fritz and Orr in our current squad.
If we lift the trophy on Saturday, this team will go down as the best we have ever had. However, with the current players all signed up for the future, I hope we are at the beginning of winning few years for the club. In the next three years, I'd like to see us win all the three trophies available. So far it's one down, one very close and one we need to aim for next season.
I think regardless of the result next Saturday, this will go down as the greatest Cas side of all time. Surely little argument that Powell is the best coach we have had? Turner? Smales? Reilly? DVdV? Raper? Would you argue their case above Powell's?

Di
Verified
Twitter: @diddididi64

Post by Di » 01 Oct 2017, 22:35

I don't think you can compare the 2, one is a one off game and the other is a full season of 30 games
Casforum is a non-profit website. We rely on donations and forum advertising to keep the site alive. If you'd like to donate please contact any administrator. In return we'll give you a shiny new forum rank!

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 01 Oct 2017, 22:38

Personally I think if Raper had had the backing, the club had been as stable as is now, he'd have led us to a GF.

Powell clearly is the best ever coach though. He's such a nice bloke too, kind, polite, intelligent, honest & harworking, thoughtful and a gent.
It is those qualities he looks for in our signings - and why we are successful.

Stu Raper 'had it' though too. All of it. Just did t have backing. After 99 we were arguably weakened. Other teams recruited quality, we signed Logan Campbell , Andrew Purcell and I can't remember others, they were average and shoe string signings.

I've been in Steadman's company too. I concur with the assessment already stated. Such a shame. Him and Ryan Hudson were very similar; thought they were 'special'

Powell is so down to earth and approachable, a wonderful coach and person, I can imagine he's a father figure to a few of the guys too.

You can compare the 2 really; just 'compare'!?
Audacter Et Sincere

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 21 Nov 2017, 11:15

Thinking back in this now we know what happened in the Grand Final, I think it’s fair to say that the Regal Trophy team performed when it mattered. I watched the game a few days ago and it was a phonomenal performance against a team we were given no chance of beating.
To me it’s still the best performance I have ever seen from a Cas team.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 21 Nov 2017, 12:33

nottinghamtiger wrote:Thinking back in this now we know what happened in the Grand Final, I think it’s fair to say that the Regal Trophy team performed when it mattered. I watched the game a few days ago and it was a phonomenal performance against a team we were given no chance of beating.
And me. A full strength Wigan with all their stars got destroyed. What a feeling being there.

Oldcasman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Oldcasman » 21 Nov 2017, 15:49

Regards this team being the best ever, personally I think if the 60s side were to play today's team I think the 60s side would win and more so If hardistys side had been full time like they are now then they would have Been awesome, I know it's hard to compare teams of the past with teams of the present but I have seen both and in my humble opinion I think they were better than today's.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 21 Nov 2017, 17:16

mart0042 wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:Thinking back in this now we know what happened in the Grand Final, I think it’s fair to say that the Regal Trophy team performed when it mattered. I watched the game a few days ago and it was a phonomenal performance against a team we were given no chance of beating.
And me. A full strength Wigan with all their stars got destroyed. What a feeling being there.
Great day that was. A day I'll never gorget

Dez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dez » 21 Nov 2017, 18:27

Went with my 2 young kids and there grandad. Always remember singe with his headphones on walking on pitch before game . Best game I ever went to. I never relaxed until final wistle but we hammered them

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 21 Nov 2017, 18:48

Oldcasman wrote:Regards this team being the best ever, personally I think if the 60s side were to play today's team I think the 60s side would win and more so If hardistys side had been full time like they are now then they would have Been awesome, I know it's hard to compare teams of the past with teams of the present but I have seen both and in my humble opinion I think they were better than today's.
Reilly's view last season was that this team is our best ever. That will do for me and I loved watching our great and successful team of the 60s which like this one learned from mistakes and got better

ron
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by ron » 21 Nov 2017, 19:07

The team of the sixties was tougher and had the brilliance of Hardisty. Nobody in the current team can match him but the 2017 Cas side was the smartest I have ever seen. I never thought I would see a team from Cas to better the one of the Hardisty era but week in, week out, last year's was the best. Happy days.

westyorkylad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westyorkylad » 22 Nov 2017, 13:25

The 1994 team were an outstanding team, and that year was their peak. We had been the 3rd best club in British RL for a couple of seasons behind far and away the best side a full time Wigan packed full of super stars and then an exceptionally good STs team packed with nearly as many but not quite.

In 1994 the teams best season, we reached the first final of the season the Regal Trophy and at that time in the early 90's everybody new who had one before a ball was kicked, it was Wigan, the only guess was who would face them and would they be able to keep the score respectable?

To go to Headingly that day and beat them was amazing, to do it without them scoring a try and then by the then biggest winning margin in a final was nothing short of amazing, that was why it was such a momentous occasion.

So was the 1994 team a better team who knows, but one thing is for sure the win in the regal trophy that year was nothing short of amazing!