Neil Diamond at the Grand Final?

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Adelaide Tigurrrr!
Academy Player
Academy Player

Neil Diamond at the Grand Final?

Post by Adelaide Tigurrrr! » 12 Sep 2017, 06:00

If Cas get to the Grand Final on 7 October have they thought of inviting Neil Diamond to the game.

Neil Diamond is on a European Tour and is performing in Leeds on 5 October then in Belfast on 8 October so he could be available especially if the club contact hi and explain the connection. Be great if we won and he led the singing of Sweet Caroline.

Just got to get to the GF first though.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Neil Diamond at the Grand Final?

Post by gateman » 12 Sep 2017, 07:31

Nice thought but if we do get there, I don't think our opponents would be over pleased, we are one game away here's hoping and praying we don't pecker it up

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 12 Sep 2017, 07:40

It's Razorlight. Was announced yesterday.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Adelaide Tigurrrr!
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Adelaide Tigurrrr! » 12 Sep 2017, 14:21

I know it is Razorlight.

Just thought with him being in the country if Cas get there it would be a great PR opportunity to invite him as a guest - not as the pre match and half time entertainment.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 12 Sep 2017, 17:27

Why? What would be the purpose of him being there? Pointless exercise.

da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 12 Sep 2017, 17:31

Pointless? Or added media attention?

I'd say go for it. Could even have him sing with the crowd after if we win. Now that would be Epic!

Long live the Tigers!!!

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 12 Sep 2017, 18:30

da_jimbob_7 wrote:Pointless? Or added media attention?

I'd say go for it. Could even have him sing with the crowd after if we win. Now that would be Epic!
Be setting ourselves up for failure with that imo
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

Squaddie86
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Squaddie86 » 13 Sep 2017, 10:29

Lovely thought but lots of teams in lots of sports play sweet caroline. I'm sure neil diamond doesn't give two figs about attending a sport he's probably never heard of for a town he's definitely never heard of.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 13 Sep 2017, 13:09

100% spot on Squaddie. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 13 Sep 2017, 13:27

Neil who?

Di
Verified
Twitter: @diddididi64

Post by Di » 13 Sep 2017, 16:13

Squaddie86 wrote:Lovely thought but lots of teams in lots of sports play sweet caroline. I'm sure neil diamond doesn't give two figs about attending a sport he's probably never heard of for a town he's definitely never heard of.
Actually he has heard of us a while back he was on the radio sorry can't remember which station when someone called in an told him Cas had adopted sweet caroline and he seemed quite happy with the thought and wished us well for the future
Casforum is a non-profit website. We rely on donations and forum advertising to keep the site alive. If you'd like to donate please contact any administrator. In return we'll give you a shiny new forum rank!

tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tallguyx » 13 Sep 2017, 18:57

Di wrote:
Squaddie86 wrote:Lovely thought but lots of teams in lots of sports play sweet caroline. I'm sure neil diamond doesn't give two figs about attending a sport he's probably never heard of for a town he's definitely never heard of.
Actually he has heard of us a while back he was on the radio sorry can't remember which station when someone called in an told him Cas had adopted sweet caroline and he seemed quite happy with the thought and wished us well for the future
He did and he was very sincere too. It was radio two a couple of years ago.

Askham Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Askham Tiger » 19 Sep 2017, 08:49

I think we sometimes forget Neil Diamond isn't some faded has been who is looking for any gig - he's not one of those 8 different lineups of the Bay City Rollers, he's not someone who filled in at 1 gig for Ringo Starr in 1964 and has tried to live off it since, he's not that guy in the Lion who once auditioned for Saxon. He's an internationally renowned singer who is still playing to huge sell out crowds, he doesn't need the exposure.

I imagine any kind of gig, be it an Arena gig or a 10 minute half time Grand Final slot will command a fee of £40K-£50K, a fee neither Cas nor the RFL will be willing to pay. A simple invite as a guest is likely to be knocked back too unless there is some financial incentive - honestly, a singer of that stature probably gets many invites. Also please refer to this the next time someone suggests he opens the new stadium (if it's ever built).

I imagine Razorlight set the RFL back in the region of £6K-7K

Sorry to sound negative, but the only way Neil Diamond would appear is if it's worth his while, like most things at the end of the day it comes down to money, thats why the Grand Final gets Razorlight (£6K-7K) and Superbowl gets the Stones (£750K).

P.S. Should we reach the Grand Final, I would prefer the club put all it's time and effort into getting the merchandise right - let's not have a repeat of Wembley, when what was on offer in the club shop was pitiful and the market traders were doing a roaring trade. It's a chance for another payday, and I'd hope they have plans in place right now ready to activate at 10pm next Thursday. I trust if they need a hand with getting stock in at short notice they are speaking with local sports clubs who managed to get a wide range of merchandise on sale at short notice when they played at Wembley (York City FC, Bradford City, Barnsley FC). :)