Attending First Game - Advice Please

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: Attending First Game - Advice Please

Post by old cas lass » 12 Sep 2017, 09:25

DerbyTiger wrote:I have read the Super 8 rules and placings - still none the wiser !

Grand Final, Million Pound Game, blimey makes football look very simple.

So in very simple terms the game I am going to on the 22nd isn't a League game it's a game to decide final placings for something else ?

Apologies for my ignorance. I will get there in the end but as you say I will just go and enjoy it.

Yes it's a game to see who can get in the top 4.
Cas are already guarantee'd as is leeds.
So the others are fighting for the last 2 places.
The 4 finishing top go into a semi final.
1 plays 4
2 plays 3

Winners go into the GF at old Trafford.

Hope that helps.

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 12 Sep 2017, 11:59

DerbyTiger wrote:I have read the Super 8 rules and placings - still none the wiser !

So in very simple terms the game I am going to on the 22nd isn't a League game it's a game to decide final placings for something else ?

Apologies for my ignorance. I will get there in the end but as you say I will just go and enjoy it.
Tickets just gone on sale for 28th September. Semi final day. Biggest game we have seen at our Ground for a very long time. Get your self a ticket for that online today and come enjoy what is to be an amazing experience.

DerbyTiger

Post by DerbyTiger » 12 Sep 2017, 12:41

Can't get on the website - assume it's maxed out.

The Fox
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by The Fox » 12 Sep 2017, 12:55

tigerfeat wrote:Also the hull side in super league is really gateshead years ago they were in the lower division so the rugby league gave them a load of players from another club and put them in top division !
Plus £1million for doing so.

DerbyTiger

Post by DerbyTiger » 12 Sep 2017, 17:21

Just got one for the semi final

I had been trying "castigers.com" all day
Got home and tried "castlefordtigers.com" which got me in straight away.
Lesson learnt.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 12 Sep 2017, 17:36

DerbyTiger wrote:Just got one for the semi final

I had been trying "castigers.com" all day
Got home and tried "castlefordtigers.com" which got me in straight away.
Lesson learnt.
Castigers.com is the old site which can't be taken down.
CastlefordTigers.com is the correct site so I'd advise to keep this bookmarked :)
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 12 Sep 2017, 17:44

And if there are any particular rules you're stuck with, let us know and we can help in advance :D
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

DerbyTiger

Post by DerbyTiger » 13 Sep 2017, 13:05

HuddsTigers wrote:

See it like this - I've broken this up to make it easier to explain rather than talking through each Super 8s stage together, as it would just make it more confusing than breaking it up on a divisional basis.

*Regular season - 23 games (11 home, 11 away and Magic Weekend)

After 23 games the league splits into 3 divisions of 8 (see this as the Play-offs).

* Super 8s - play each other once ( 7 games) with the top 4 making the play-off semi finals (top 2 have home advantage) - team finishing top win League Leaders Shield

Then Play off Semi Finals
1 v 4
2 v 3

Then Grand Final (to determine overall champions)

Best way to look at this is to look at this years tables on the BBC and to explain it with Cas.

Cas finished top after 23 rounds of the regular season. By doing this they finished in the Super 8's. As a result, they get 4 home games and 3 away games for finishing within the top 4.

We are now in the Super 8s stage of the competition (or the play-offs) to determine which teams make the elimination semi-finals. Points from regular season are retained to reward those sides most consistent all year.

We have already secured the League Leaders Shield by virtue of finishing top and as a result we will have a home semi final on Thursday 28th September against the team who finishes 4th at the end of this stage.

Winners of this game go to the Grand Final at Old Trafford which is the final to determine who is champions this season (a bit like the SuperBowl in NFL).

-----
Super 8s Qualifiers

Those teams finishing at the bottom 4 of SL play in the Super 8's qualifiers along with the top 4 Championship sides after 23 rounds. The aim of this is to provide a way for the top Championship sides to get promoted after having a period of licensing and a closed shop.

Points are automatically reset. Each side plays each other once for a total of 7 games.

The top 3 sides are automatically promoted/retain places in SL. So if you look at the current table, Warrington have retained their place in Super League and Hull KR have been promoted from the Championship by winning 5/5 of their games so far.

4 v 5 at end of the 7 rounds play in the Million Pound Game for the final place in Super League next season. This season it is looking likely that 1 or 2 current SL sides could be relegated with Catalans, Widnes and Leigh all fighting to avoid finishing 4th and 5th. London have an outside chance of making it to try and get promoted.

---------

* Championship Shield - Bottom 8 of Championship after 23 rounds - points carried over. 7 games as per other divisions. Bottom two teams relegated to League 1, top wins Championship Shield. Top automatically promoted from League 1 and 2-5th play for second promotion place.

As such, Bradford and Oldham have been relegated to League 1 and Toronto have already been promoted from League 1.

-----------

From a Cas perspective in general every year:
* Every season we want to avoid finishing in the bottom 4 (don't want to risk fighting for our place in SL)
* Our ambition is to be a top 4 club at the end of a regular season (good foundation towards getting a shot at getting a Grand Final and advantage of 4 home games in Super 8s)
* By end of Super 8s we want a minimum of finish of finishing in top 4 to make the play-off semi-finals but ideally to finish in top 2 to have H advantage
*Win play-off semi-final
* Win Grand Final

The game you're attending is the final fixture of the Super 8s stage. So yes, it's a game that could determine our opposition in the Semi Final the following week. From our perspective, it doesn't affect us having finished top and won the league but obviously we want to keep form.
Many thanks HuddsTigers for taking the time to do that. I will read it and compare it the BBC League Tables as you say.

Looks very complicated but I guess retains fans' interest for as long as possible.

Do most Tigers fans understand all that do you think ? Credit to them.
I guess like me with football - following a sport for 45 years you tend to know all the away grounds, how to get there, most of the opposition players, which fans are best avoided etc.

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 13 Sep 2017, 18:22

Let us know what you will be wearing pal so we can come and say hello....a Derby shirt or something would be good.

The Hull game we dont really have much to play for do use that as your learning game. Then the Semi Final can be enjoyed and take it in more. Stand in the Sheldon road end and soak up the atmosphere.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 13 Sep 2017, 18:28

The Super League is very easy to understand.
One team can win the league by 12 points and not be champions.
Another team can potentially finish the league 16 points lower than the top team and end up league champions.
Makes perfect sense!

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 13 Sep 2017, 18:38

cogito ergo sum wrote:The Super League is very easy to understand.
Another team can potentially finish the league 16 points lower than the top team and end up league champions.
Makes perfect sense!

Let's not put him off :D

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 13 Sep 2017, 19:23

Makes perfect sense!
Just like championship football for his Derby. Can finish 3rd but still not be promoted but 6th can. He will get this game easy.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 13 Sep 2017, 19:32

InTheKnow wrote:
Makes perfect sense!
Just like championship football for his Derby. Can finish 3rd but still not be promoted but 6th can. He will get this game easy.
But the team finishing the regular season top are called "League Champions".
If you want to confuse him further, explain how we arrive at relegation and promotion, or not.

WF10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by WF10 » 13 Sep 2017, 23:45

InTheKnow wrote:Let us know what you will be wearing pal so we can come and say hello....a Derby shirt or something would be good.

The Hull game we dont really have much to play for do use that as your learning game. Then the Semi Final can be enjoyed and take it in more. Stand in the Sheldon road end and soak up the atmosphere.
He's a Notts County fan. They play in black & white. ;)
removed post it again and you will join them on a 48 hour ban read the AUP

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 14 Sep 2017, 09:57

cogito ergo sum wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:
Makes perfect sense!
But the team finishing the regular season top are called "League Champions".
If you want to confuse him further, explain how we arrive at relegation and promotion, or not.
Aren't the table toppers called the league leaders rather than League champions?
Just asking.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 14 Sep 2017, 10:00

Aren't the table toppers called the league leaders rather than League champions?
Just asking.
Depends what era you are talking about.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 14 Sep 2017, 10:10

Tigerade wrote:
Just asking.
The subject turned to football, and divisional winners are champions.

In Super league they are league leaders. Champions could, in theory, finish the regular season in 8th place out of 12 teams. For example, if Wigan become champs this year!
Makes you think.

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 14 Sep 2017, 11:15

Tigerade wrote:
Just asking.
Errr, the here and now?

DerbyTiger

Post by DerbyTiger » 14 Sep 2017, 11:47

WF10 wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:Let us know what you will be wearing pal so we can come and say hello....a Derby shirt or something would be good.

He's a Notts County fan. They play in black & white. ;)
I am one of the faithfull few and go to most games home and away
I will be the tall well built middle aged bloke in the home end behind the sticks as recommended.
COYP

DerbyTiger

Post by DerbyTiger » 14 Sep 2017, 12:01

And of course - COYF