Attending First Game - Advice Please

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
DerbyTiger

Attending First Game - Advice Please

Post by DerbyTiger » 05 Sep 2017, 19:01

I live in Derby and would like to go to my first rugby league game and I picked the Tigers game on September 22nd.

I would appreciate advice on where to park and which stand to go in for a good view and atmosphere.

I can pick up the rules myself and by reading stuff on the internet as I am a complete newcomer to the sport.

All suggestions appreciated.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Attending First Game - Advice Please

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 05 Sep 2017, 19:17

Nice one.
If you get there early enough you can park in the ground. Don't think it's too expensive. Barring that there is a car park opposite the training field owned by some old fella who charges somewhere between £3 and £5. The alleyway which goes down from there is fairly potholed and on weekdays and some Fridays has wagons using it so can be closed off but if not it is free to park there.

As for spectator view, the main stand maybe a good vantage point for a firt time experience, but it costs an extra few quid to gain entry. I kind of imagine watching from either side stand will give you a better view of what is going on.

See what others in here reckon. Hope you enjoy it. As an actual sport, nothing beats it for me.

DerbyTiger

Post by DerbyTiger » 05 Sep 2017, 19:20

Many thanks RonnieGibbs, I will check that out.

I didn't realise the season ended so soon - told you I was a complete novice.

I guess your arch rivals are Wakefield and Leeds ?

I love football and cricket too but want to try something different.

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 05 Sep 2017, 19:22

There's parking in the ground, but you have to pay and sometimes takes a while to get away, a number of car parks in the town, the closest is at the top of Wheldon Road more or less opposite D&R Stores, it's about half a mile walk to the ground. Best atmosphere is in the stand on Wheldon Road, I think there's a pay entrance half way along the back of the stand.

I'll try to think of other useful info before your big day down the lane and I'm sure other posters will throw their two penworth in.
Danny Boy

corvusxiii
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by corvusxiii » 05 Sep 2017, 19:36

I'm in walking distance but would park in Castleford itself for no other reason than walking back along Wheldon Lane after the match. An experience in itself.
You can walk all around the ground but I end up under Eddie Warning's Box which on halfway, Princess Street stand.
Wheldon Lane End can be mind bendingly LOUD. And that's from the town centre.
If you're into Real Ale try the Junction Pub. It's world famous round Cas! Look it up.
To finish last in the Tour de France, first you must finish.

Mr XP
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: @nathastbury

Post by Mr XP » 05 Sep 2017, 20:06

The only advice I can give is to book another trip now because once you go you will be hooked for life!! Princess street stand near the Wheldon road end would probably be the best place to stand, I would say enjoy it, take it all in and enjoy the atmosphere and the friendliest fans in the game but they are all a given :)

Castleford tigers Irish supporters branch

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 05 Sep 2017, 20:07

I am another one that parks in the town after 6-0 pm most of the car parks in town have free parking , if you decide to park near the ground its advisable to wait 30-45 mins till the crowd disperses , stand any were in the roof covered areas my son prefers behind the sticks I go down the princess st side, you will love the atmosphere at this old but loved ground safe journey up

DerbyTiger

Post by DerbyTiger » 05 Sep 2017, 20:49

Thanks very much to everybody who has taken the time to reply to me and offer advice.

I am very keen to come up and sample rugby league and Yorkshire hospitality.

I will be the big middle aged bloke looking confused and thinking to himself - why did that player do that ?, why did the ref blow for that ?, why are the fans booing that ? etc

It will be a good sporting weekend, Tigers on the Friday and Notts County v Lincoln on the Saturday.

I will post my thoughts on the Tigers experience after the game.

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 05 Sep 2017, 20:55

If you've got sky sports try to watch a game before you come down check out one of the videos posted on this forum to give yourself a bit of an idea of rules

By the way, what made you choose Cas Tigers?
Danny Boy

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 05 Sep 2017, 20:58

The Junction Otley my pub is world famous.
Back on subject ,Wecome aboard Derby Tiger.
I will be attending the game with my daughter,her partner and my 88 year old father in law.
We call in at The Griffin for a pint before walking down to the ground there are various parking options near the pub dependant on when you arrive.
Your more than welcome to join us I'll stand you a drink.
You can then if you chose walk down to the match with us if you choose.p.m. if you wish to join us.
I went to my first match with my father in law forty years ago he's a life long Supporter
I had never played or watched rugby or any connection with the town of Castleford was a Leeds United lawn fairy fan.
Feel in love with the game as have all my family.
I hope you have a similar experience.
If you decide to join great if not no problem,just enjoy the experience and hopefully you will be hooked.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 05 Sep 2017, 21:04

Only one place to stand and that's at the WRE.
Fantastic atmosphere, if you are in any doubt about the rules, just ask the person next to you. Explain it's your first ever RL game.
You do know what your letting yourself in for, cos this club will get under your skin (in a nice way) and won't let you go.

Hope it's a cracking game for you.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 05 Sep 2017, 21:10

DerbyTiger wrote:Thanks very much to everybody who has taken the time to reply to me and offer advice.

I will be the big middle aged bloke looking confused and thinking to himself - why did that player do that ?, why did the ref blow for that ?, why are the fans booing that ? etc

It will be a good sporting weekend, Tigers on the Friday and Notts County v Lincoln on the Saturday.

Are you Nigel Wood in disguise!

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 05 Sep 2017, 21:11

DerbyTiger wrote:Thanks very much to everybody who has taken the time to reply to me and offer advice.

Are you Nigel Wood in disguise.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 05 Sep 2017, 21:12

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 05 Sep 2017, 21:12

DerbyTiger

Post by DerbyTiger » 05 Sep 2017, 21:23

Danny Boy and Casjunction

Being a Notts (as we call Notts County) fan for over 40 years I wanted to watch a team from a smaller town rather than one from a larger city like Leeds or Hull.

I know Nottingham is a large city but we live in the shadow of our more illustrious neighbours Forest.
Therefore any team that plays in red is a non starter (childish I know but we hate Forest) - even though some of my best mates support them.

I also follow Nottingham Panthers so there is the cat connection (yeah tenuous link again)

And I really like the badge !

The Lancashire clubs are too far way. Castleford I imagine is about 90 minutes away so reasonably close.

I asked my daughter if she would like to come but she said no - it's too rough and I only come to Notts with you for the chips at half time !

I would love to meet in The Griffin and say hello. Is there a private email facility on this forum ?

Cheers all

Le Van
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Le Van » 05 Sep 2017, 21:26

Might be best to buy a ticket before you set off because it'll probably be near to a sell out with the semi the week after

I'm sure that you'll enjoy....

DerbyTiger

Post by DerbyTiger » 05 Sep 2017, 21:29

Do I have to buy a ticket for a particular stand or just buy one and sit anywhere ?

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 05 Sep 2017, 21:34

Most likely all seats will be sold but a standing ticket accesses all areas.