Biggest game in our history?

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Biggest game in our history?

Post by TT Tiger » 15 Aug 2017, 11:53

Today the squad will be released for what could be the biggest game in our history if the players named today win on Thursday they will go down in Cas Tigers history. People say we are chockers rs after 2014 when we were in touching distance of a league and cup double but came away with nothing. But look at our team now it looks like a team capable of winning and winning well for years to come. COYF

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Biggest game in our history?

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 15 Aug 2017, 12:16

Have they not gone down in history already? There is no way we arent LLS winners. Just a formality.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 15 Aug 2017, 12:18

Not the biggest in our history. What's at stake? Very little in reality, because the LLS is ours, so in terms of importance not the biggest.
It is however massive if we can confirm LLS against our near-neighbour and the club that sent us down. One to savour, one to fix in the memory, one for the fans.

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 15 Aug 2017, 12:22

Hopefully it's a big tick in the box - league winners
Then another bigger tick October 7th

Max n paddy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Max n paddy » 15 Aug 2017, 12:42

I think it would be fantastic to get the LLS in the bag on Thursday

But , they will be out to spoil our party , big style.

My focus would be to make sure we've a fully fit and raring to go squad for the semi , which I feel is our biggest game in our super league history.

Get to the GF I'm a happy bunny , the LLS will take care of its self.

Nerves are tingling already lol .... :pray:
Ding Dang Doo, Let the tiger see the rhino !!

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 15 Aug 2017, 12:47

While I'd like to say yes, it is, I'd argue that the play-off semi final at home will be the biggest game in our history. Someone may recall but we played for the Premiership Trophy in the early 90s - can anyone of an older nature explain whether this was similar to the Grand Final or was it more low key?

Nice chance to win the LLS and secure a place in the WCS but the real big prize is Old Trafford and that's where our next focus has got to be.

Let's not get complacent or take anything for granted. Do the job Thursday, enjoy the moment (providing we win) then move on.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 15 Aug 2017, 12:57

HuddsTigers wrote:While I'd like to say yes, it is, I'd argue that the play-off semi final at home will be the biggest game in our history. Someone may recall but we played for the Premiership Trophy in the early 90s - can anyone of an older nature explain whether this was similar to the Grand Final or was it more low key?

Nice chance to win the LLS and secure a place in the WCS but the real big prize is Old Trafford and that's where our next focus has got to be.

Let's not get complacent or take anything for granted. Do the job Thursday, enjoy the moment (providing we win) then move on.
And I'd argue that, that is in the future and therefore not the biggest game in our history but I agree that once we've got Thursday out of the way, the semi will be regarded as the biggest game and if we win that, the GF.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

Dr?
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dr? » 15 Aug 2017, 13:00

HuddsTigers wrote:While I'd like to say yes, it is, I'd argue that the play-off semi final at home will be the biggest game in our history. Someone may recall but we played for the Premiership Trophy in the early 90s - can anyone of an older nature explain whether this was similar to the Grand Final or was it more low key?

That was the same year that we won the Regal Trophy iirc and Wigan got their revenge. I was only a kid then, but it wasn't anywhere near as big a deal. It wasn't promoted the same, it didn't have the same £££ involved and the winners were not crowned champions.

baldtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by baldtiger » 15 Aug 2017, 13:10

I would say its the biggest game that's been played down the lane , if we win n get the shield first time in 91 years i will be one happy man .. ps, Son in Spain for the match ! hes totally gutted :x :x

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 15 Aug 2017, 13:15

baldtiger wrote:I would say its the biggest game that's been played down the lane , if we win n get the shield first time in 91 years i will be one happy man .. ps, Son in Spain for the match ! hes totally gutted :x :x
I fly to Majorca Thursday morning I know his pain, my mum, Dad, sister, Uncle and grandad will all be there and I know that me brother is trying to get a ticket today hope he gets 1 I'm gutted to not be there.

baldtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by baldtiger » 15 Aug 2017, 14:52

TT Tiger wrote:
baldtiger wrote:I would say its the biggest game that's been played down the lane , if we win n get the shield first time in 91 years i will be one happy man .. ps, Son in Spain for the match ! hes totally gutted :x :x
I fly to Majorca Thursday morning I know his pain, my mum, Dad, sister, Uncle and grandad will all be there and I know that me brother is trying to get a ticket today hope he gets 1 I'm gutted to not be there.
First job to find a sky sports bar eh . Good luck mate !! 8)

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 15 Aug 2017, 17:33

Flat Capper wrote:

And I'd argue that, that is in the future and therefore not the biggest game in our history but I agree that once we've got Thursday out of the way, the semi will be regarded as the biggest game and if we win that, the GF.
The Wakefield game is in the future too so that can't really be used ;)

We already know we're in the semi-final. We've never made a Grand Final either. That will be the biggest game in our history, followed by the Grand Final should we make it to be crowned champions.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 15 Aug 2017, 17:54

HuddsTigers wrote:
Flat Capper wrote:

The Wakefield game is in the future too so that can't really be used ;)

We already know we're in the semi-final. We've never made a Grand Final either. That will be the biggest game in our history, followed by the Grand Final should we make it to be crowned champions.
True we've never been in a Super League Grand Final but before Super League we did make it's equivalent twice in 1939. V Salford and in 1969 where we lost to Leeds right at the end and missed winning the double by a whisker
Arguably that was the biggest match in our history

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 15 Aug 2017, 18:35

The Premiership Final was pretty much the same, other than it was a double header, I remember Sheffield playing in what was the Championship level Final, there may well have been the equivalent of league one final, but not sure. The Premiership Final wasn't hyped up to the same degree as the GF is now, but reckon Sky have pushed the boat out with promoting it, so much so, that it's relegated winning the league and the CC to second billing, but I think that was Sky's agenda although maybe the greater prize money has helped somewhat?
Danny Boy