Is the Top 8 now settled?

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Is the Top 8 now settled?

Post by SuffolkTiger » 09 Jul 2017, 00:58

After the Catalans loss today, that looks to me like the 8 sorted...

They've both got a lot to do to get in the top 4 but Pies and Saints look to be getting their act together and will be fancying their chances.

I think a competitive 8 plays into our hands as it means no easy games for anyone and, especially for the 4 teams still involved in the cup, this means that their squads will be stretched and injuries will happen. No club will be in the position that we are of being able to rest players.

We just couldn't be in a better position and it's set up for a hell of a run in to the semi final play offs.

It will be interesting to see what kind of side Catalans put out for our visit. It's looking like a dead game for them before the Middle 8's as they go to Saints before we head down there. I'm hoping they rest a few to ensure they give themselves the best chance of avoiding the MPG by starting that part of their season well.

I'm hoping Salford & Leeds knock each other about a bit later today. My money is on the latter missing out on the Top 4 when September comes around...

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Is the Top 8 now settled?

Post by InTheKnow » 09 Jul 2017, 07:25

Any current team in the top 8 could make the top 4 in my opinion now. Wigan and Saints are only 2 wins behind Hull with 9 to play.

I know we have battered both at home this year but these are the 2 teams I wouldn't want to meet as they know when to come good. 2nd to 8th is up for grabs so will be fun to watch through the super 8s.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 09 Jul 2017, 08:26

Yes Saints & Wigan are in the mix and its foolish to think otherwise. Given their squads if we are capable of going on a run of league wins then so can they in the super 8s.

Saints impressed me in the 1st half against Hull before the heavens opened. They looked to get the ball out wide early and had Lomax & Fages either side running direct at Hull's defence. They found plenty of space out there...hope our coaching team picked up on this when we meet Hull again.

Wigan looked solid in draining conditions yesterday. Their left hand wide attack of Gildart & Burgess is dangerous. I don't want to upset those fans who are making the trip to Catalans but i would rest a few key players,as i think Catalans will too.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 09 Jul 2017, 09:01

duke street 10 wrote:Yes Saints & Wigan are in the mix and its foolish to think otherwise. Given their squads if we are capable of going on a run of league wins then so can they in the super 8s.

Saints impressed me in the 1st half against Hull before the heavens opened. They looked to get the ball out wide early and had Lomax & Fages either side running direct at Hull's defence. They found plenty of space out there...hope our coaching team picked up on this when we meet Hull again.

Wigan looked solid in draining conditions yesterday. Their left hand wide attack of Gildart & Burgess is dangerous. I don't want to upset those fans who are making the trip to Catalans but i would rest a few key players,as i think Catalans will too.
We have the week after off so doesn't make sense to rest against Catalan
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 09 Jul 2017, 09:20

We have to go for the 2 wins before the split. We are 5 wins clear now due to our PD after today's game. Win these last 2 we will go into the super 8s 6 clear with 7to play. Super 8s will be hard with nearly every top 8 team currently bang in form.

sparky49
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by sparky49 » 09 Jul 2017, 09:54

Win these last 2 we will go into the super 8s 6 clear with 7to play. Super 8s will be hard with nearly every top 8 team currently bang in form.

We are already 8 points clear and play Salford next so how can we only be 6 points clear if we win our last 2 games, plus the points difference is worth an extra point.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 09 Jul 2017, 10:12

the machine wrote:
duke street 10 wrote:Yes Saints & Wigan are in the mix and its foolish to think otherwise. Given their squads if we are capable of going on a run of league wins then so can they in the super 8s.

We have the week after off so doesn't make sense to rest against Catalan
Personally, I would rest a few (Gale, Hardaker, McMeekan and Sene-Lefao).
It would give these players the advantage of two weekends without a game, as the cup semi finals are the weekend after. I'd fancy our chances of beating them without these players too. They are in poor form. I think they are likely to rest players too in preparation for the middle 8s as the game is pretty meaningless for them. Win or lose, they will have four home games and three away games in the middle 8s.
Having said that, I trust our coaching conditioning team to do what they think is best. There is an argument that these will are potentially the most easily obtainable points left this season and we want to secure top spot as soon as possible.

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 09 Jul 2017, 10:48

I'd Defo be going full strength these next 2 games before a week off.think we can stretch our lead plus a record unbeaten run to protect

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 09 Jul 2017, 11:27

sparky49 wrote:Win these last 2 we will go into the super 8s 6 clear with 7to play. Super 8s will be hard with nearly every top 8 team currently bang in form.

We are already 8 points clear and play Salford next so how can we only be 6 points clear if we win our last 2 games, plus the points difference is worth an extra point.
Not points. Wins. We will be 6 wins clear with 7 games left. Beat Salford next week we are 10pts clear. Win Vs Catalan we will be a minimum of 10 points clear with a far superior PD. So basically 6 WINS clear at start of super 8s

sparky49
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by sparky49 » 09 Jul 2017, 13:14

Not points. Wins. We will be 6 wins clear with 7 games left. Beat Salford next week we are 10pts clear. Win Vs Catalan we will be a minimum of 10 points clear with a far superior PD. So basically 6 WINS clear at start of super 8s

If Leeds win today they will be 8 points behind and if we both win our last 2 games we still be 8 points clear, add on the points difference and that makes 9 points.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 09 Jul 2017, 14:36

if we had the choice to rest anyone which I don't think we have with our current injury list, I would field our best possible team until if possible we have an home draw for the semi final

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 09 Jul 2017, 15:35

sparky49 wrote:Not points. Wins. We will be 6 wins clear with 7 games left. Beat Salford next week we are 10pts clear. Win Vs Catalan we will be a minimum of 10 points clear with a far superior PD. So basically 6 WINS clear at start of super 8s

If Leeds win today they will be 8 points behind and if we both win our last 2 games we still be 8 points clear, add on the points difference and that makes 9 points.
Leeds play Salford, Hull and Wigan. Don't think they will win all 3.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 09 Jul 2017, 15:55

Salford getting trounced by Leeds 36 6

sparky49
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by sparky49 » 09 Jul 2017, 16:18

InTheKnow wrote:
sparky49 wrote:Not points. Wins. We will be 6 wins clear with 7 games left. Beat Salford next week we are 10pts clear. Win Vs Catalan we will be a minimum of 10 points clear with a far superior PD. So basically 6 WINS clear at start of super 8s

Leeds play Salford, Hull and Wigan. Don't think they will win all 3.
Well Hull and Wigan didnt look like world beaters in their games and the positions are not worked out on maybe results. The fact is if Cas and Leeds win their remaining games there is only an 8 point gap and those are the facts.

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 09 Jul 2017, 16:41

Would still be 5 wins clear which is plenty. If Leeds lose 1 of them games we could be 6 wins clear.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 09 Jul 2017, 17:02

SuffolkTiger wrote:After the Catalans loss today, that looks to me like the 8 sorted...

They've both got a lot to do to get in the top 4 but Pies and Saints look to be getting their act together and will be fancying their chances.

I think a competitive 8 plays into our hands as it means no easy games for anyone and, especially for the 4 teams still involved in the cup, this means that their squads will be stretched and injuries will happen. No club will be in the position that we are of being able to rest players.

We just couldn't be in a better position and it's set up for a hell of a run in to the semi final play offs.

It will be interesting to see what kind of side Catalans put out for our visit. It's looking like a dead game for them before the Middle 8's as they go to Saints before we head down there. I'm hoping they rest a few to ensure they give themselves the best chance of avoiding the MPG by starting that part of their season well.

I'm hoping Salford & Leeds knock each other about a bit later today. My money is on the latter missing out on the Top 4 when September comes around...
No, Wire or huddersfield can finish in 8th but it needs hudds to loose both

sparky49
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by sparky49 » 09 Jul 2017, 17:10

InTheKnow wrote:Would still be 5 wins clear which is plenty. If Leeds lose 1 of them games we could be 6 wins clear.
I hope Leeds do lose at home to Hull and beat Wigan away and we win both our games making it almost certain we will be crowned League Leaders. Your first post stated we would be 6 wins clear not that we could be if results went our way.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 10 Jul 2017, 10:09

Leeds are effectively 9 points behind us. I can't see them getting nine points more in the last 9 matches. It would be a fantastic decline.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 10 Jul 2017, 11:45

fords wrote:
SuffolkTiger wrote:After the Catalans loss today, that looks to me like the 8 sorted...

No, Wire or huddersfield can finish in 8th but it needs hudds to loose both
.... And also Wire to beat Pies - unlikely.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 10 Jul 2017, 12:28

Top 8 is sorted barring a real shock with Warrington, which is a must win game for them this weekend.

And for the first time in ages we have some interesting races:

* Who can catch us?
* Race for 2nd and a home tie?
* Race for the top 4 and will anyone falter?
* Race to avoid relegation with Leigh, Widnes and Catalan all looking capable of being in the trapdoor position.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!