The run-in, permutations and possibilities

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Herbert Latch
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: The run-in, permutations and possibilities

Post by Herbert Latch » 08 Jul 2017, 15:27

Danny Boy wrote:The Super 8's Fixtures formula from last season, so I am assuming it will be the same this season.
Here's hoping that Catalans don't make the 8, because if they do, no doubt we will have to travel there again come the Super 8s!

Yes that's what it was last year, so I am assuming it's what it is, this season. However I am sure I saw somewhere, or someone posted, that this seasons formula has been up on a website / link for some time now, maybe weeks or months. If so anybody know where it is. I heard the RFL did this, so that everybody knew what the formula / permutations were, long before the final positions were known. Presumably so they cannot then be accused of manipulating them to certain teams advantages.

If so, they really also ought to have done the fixtures well beforehand also, even though well before teams positions are known. eg Week 1 Position 1 will play position 5 position 2 v 7 etc, etc. and so forth all the way to week 7. Or 24 to 30, which ever way you look at it. Then it all looks fair, as there will be little advantages. I mean you would like whoever gets to Wembley, the week before, or maybe even the week after. Also anyone battling all the way for a top 4 slot, would probably want us the week before the play offs, bearing in mind we will almost certainly have already won the LLS and will in all likelihood rest a few players in the last game before the play offs.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 08 Jul 2017, 15:45

Cheering for Wigan tonight then? :shock: I don't think we will be the only one's who want Catalan out of the top 8's.

Besides i'd like Perpignan to sample the delights of Fev's travelling support!

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 08 Jul 2017, 16:38

duke street 10 wrote:Cheering for Wigan tonight then? :shock: I don't think we will be the only one's who want Catalan out of the top 8's.

Besides i'd like Perpignan to sample the delights of Fev's travelling support!
No way cheering for Wigan. Keep them as far away from the top 4 thank you.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 09 Jul 2017, 09:29

Thanks for the replies guys.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Jul 2017, 10:21

Once we secure l.l.s and number one seed it will be interesting how d.p rests players and keeps momentum going so we reach semi final at our peak
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 09 Jul 2017, 17:05

tigerfeat wrote:Once we secure l.l.s and number one seed it will be interesting how d.p rests players and keeps momentum going so we reach semi final at our peak
Looking at our past 3 games have we peaked already?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Jul 2017, 17:16

fords wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:Once we secure l.l.s and number one seed it will be interesting how d.p rests players and keeps momentum going so we reach semi final at our peak
my own feeling is we will come again strong mate ...hope so
Vince Lombardi

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 09 Jul 2017, 18:16

tigerfeat wrote:
fords wrote:
So much more to come from us I reckon.we will run hot many more times upto old Trafford.the return of cook and moors will be a huge boost.our 17 v wakey would be our first choice 17 with moors for foster and cook for lynch.if we can get that out on the pitch leading upto our home semi wi will be running out at old Trafford I think

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 09 Jul 2017, 20:59

Scoopage wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:
fords wrote:
So much more to come from us I reckon.we will run hot many more times upto old Trafford.the return of cook and moors will be a huge boost.our 17 v wakey would be our first choice 17 with moors for foster and cook for lynch.if we can get that out on the pitch leading upto our home semi wi will be running out at old Trafford I think
lets not forget Milner now injured, webster has a rib injury (not sure how bad it is)
and Patrick had ice on his neck.

Cant wait for them 2 to come back but we need to hope we dont loose any others

robofcas
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by robofcas » 10 Jul 2017, 11:05

Looking at the 8s Format and how great we look at home we should have the LLS sewn up by round 2/3 leaving plenty of time to get people back match fit/raring to go come home semi final play off time.

As for the rest of the league it seems you need about 38 points to make the top 4 on average over the 2 years we have run the system and previous years projecting the extra 3 games, etc.

Now I know teams like Wigan and Saints are capable of stringing wins together but they have to win every single game between now and round 30 to reach 39 points. Obviously they have to play each other which in theory eliminates one of them and then have to beat all the other top 8 sides. I personally think they cant do it and see the current 2-5 fighting it out for the 3 spots alongside us in the semi finals.

Whats got me more interested is the middle 8s. Looking at the fixtures as it stands if I am right Leigh have to travel away to Hull KR, Catalans, London and Widnes!! I actually forsee at least 1 Super League team going down this year (well until they change the structure again) Wire, Catalan, Hull KR, Widnes, London, Leigh, Fev, Halifax is my prediction at the end of the Middle 8s
TOP 6? stranger things happen!

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 10 Jul 2017, 12:26

Let's not be complacent. Seems to be some arrogance that we will win our next two and sew everything up as quickly as possible.

Salford have beaten us once already and we've shown that Catalan away can be a lottery for us. And then anything can happen in the Super 8s.

Leeds are 4 wins behind with 9 to play. We could be nervously looking over our shoulders again in a couple of weeks if we don't watch out. We have a buffer - let's not be complacent.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 10 Jul 2017, 12:38

HuddsTigers wrote:Let's not be complacent. Seems to be some arrogance that we will win our next two and sew everything up as quickly as possible.

Salford have beaten us once already and we've shown that Catalan away can be a lottery for us. And then anything can happen in the Super 8s.

Leeds are 4 wins behind with 9 to play. We could be nervously looking over our shoulders again in a couple of weeks if we don't watch out. We have a buffer - let's not be complacent.
you can have a bet with me if you like on cas not finishing top ...write what ever odds down you want down on slip to boot
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 10 Jul 2017, 12:47

I'm not saying we will or won't.

We lose next two and Leeds win next two, they're 4 points behind, 5 with GD. We've shown that anyone can achieve at least 5/7 wins, as per last year, with the right application.

That would mean us having to match them by winning at least 3 of our Super 8 games.

Given we've lost to Hull twice and Salford already, it will be real tough. The last few games have shown us that clubs are now gunning for us and are learning how to stop our attacks. Let's get the job done first or at least close to being done before we start looking further ahead.

At this moment in time we're likely to face Wigan and Hull away, which will be tough. The LLS is far from one, no matter what buffer we have.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 10 Jul 2017, 14:07

HuddsTigers wrote:Let's not be complacent. Seems to be some arrogance that we will win our next two and sew everything up as quickly as possible.

Leeds need to win 5 more than us from 9. Very tough ask. Wigan and Hull twice plus CC. Probably toughest run in of any team.

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 10 Jul 2017, 14:23

With 9 games still to play, I think we will see some shock results and movement in the super eight table. Would be pleased for us to win our final 2 games of the regular season ( I would have been happy with 32 points at this stage ) and I certainly want us to beat Salford so they have no bragging rights over us, and we will still have our 100% home record intact.
I think now our coaching staff will be working on making sure the players are mentally tough to see out the final games of the season, but can't stop the injuries to tired bodies, but lets not forget all the clubs we have played will have tired bodies also. Mental toughness, and a piece of genius from someone, will see which club will be crowned champions.
Think that bit of genius will come from a TIGER.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 10 Jul 2017, 15:45

A good article featuring Gayley's view on the run in

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/no-he ... gby-league

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 10 Jul 2017, 16:07

Really good read that.

Captain
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Captain » 10 Jul 2017, 16:18

"For Trinity, Tonga prop David Fifita looks like he is enjoying the local cuisine..." loved that line.

Also interesting to note was the £20,000 hosting fee that SKY pay the home club for lost revenue. Fair bit of money into the club (I doubt we'd actually lose £20,000 just by being on SKY), so by being successful and being on the box more often = more exposure and more income for the club.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 10 Jul 2017, 16:26

InTheKnow wrote:Really good read that.
Some good coverage of the game in the broad sheets - it just tends to get a bit lost in the other stuff

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 10 Jul 2017, 16:28