widnes friday

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
WallTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: widnes friday

Post by WallTiger » 22 May 2017, 16:30

Firstly, this double header weekend just a few weeks after Easter and the England trip down under is a complete farce and purely down to the ineptness of the RFL.

With regards the game, for me it depends if Widnes have any players back for this one. If not then I'd be tempted to rest those carrying knocks and have them back for the Leigh game as Leigh look much more dangerous in attack than Widnes. If they do have players back then I'd go with the strongest team available but keep T Holmes in and allow Roberts that bit of extra time. I'm sure most players would want to be playing at the minute anyway with the way we are going. But as has already been mentioned whilst we don't want to be dropping points against the bottom two we also don't want to have burnt out players at the business end of the season. It's a fine balancing act for the coaching staff but I'm confident they'll get it right.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 22 May 2017, 16:43

I think the players themselves should put there hand up if they feel worn out or tired.
I'm sure like as been said, while we are on a winning streak most will won't to play.
Realisticly we have to look further down the line, we have some massive games coming up, no more than a CC game.

Rotating now seems a good option.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 22 May 2017, 16:49

old cas lass wrote:I think the players themselves should put there hand up if they feel worn out or tired.
I'm sure like as been said, while we are on a winning streak most will won't to play.
Realisticly we have to look further down the line, we have some massive games coming up, no more than a CC game.

Rotation from now on will be the key but as I've heard and read quotes from Powell saying he and his fellow coaches would love to play in this team, it's highly unlikely the players will volunteer to take a rest. Over to the coaches to do what they do best, apart from Bri Mac that is.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 22 May 2017, 16:50

If we can't rotate and rest players against the bottom two clubs then something's gone wrong. We don't need wholesale changes but any doubts can have an extra two days off. And then come back in for the next game while those that pick up knocks in the first sit it out.
These games will test our squad but that's why DP built a squad and not just a bare 17 with add ons.

Long live the Tigers!!!

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 22 May 2017, 16:51

Flat Capper wrote:
old cas lass wrote:I think the players themselves should put there hand up if they feel worn out or tired.

Rotation from now on will be the key but as I've heard and read quotes from Powell saying he and his fellow coaches would love to play in this team, it's highly unlikely the players will volunteer to take a rest. Over to the coaches to do what they do best, apart from Bri Mac that is.

Thought mcmeeken and junior moors looked a bit jaded.
Mcmeeken just don't seen his self, junior when tackled seemed to take an age to get up off the floor. In saying that he still put some busts in.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 22 May 2017, 17:47

TheSheriff wrote:
Bolton-tiger wrote:Personally for me you go with the strongest team avalible and only rest people who have got injurys,dont want to rest to many people expecting to win teams and then people moan when we get turned over by them but thats just what i think always go with strongest you got on hand
When there's over 30 games a year, players need to be rested at some point other wise they'll be burnt out come the playoffs.

Powell said a few week ago too that every player will get a rest at some point in the season, so he clearly doesn't want burn out happening.
And most of them have.

The only ones to play every game so far are Eden, JSL and Moors so they are the 3 you'd be looking at resting if any. And you don't necessarily have to rest them. Just give them reduced minutes.

Personally, I'd rest JSL one game and Moors the other. Springer in one day, Foster in the other. Monaghan in for Webster in one too.

Widnes/Leigh

Hardaker/Hardaker
Minikin/Monaghan
Webster/Minikin
Shenton/Shenton
Eden/Eden
Roberts/T. Holmes
Gale/Gale
Lynch/Springer
McShane/McShane
Springer/Cook
McMeeken/McMeeken
JSL/Foster
Milner/Massey

T.Holmes/Moors
Cook/Millington
Massey/ Cook
Millington/Milner
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 22 May 2017, 17:52

HuddsTigers wrote:The only ones to play every game so far are Eden, JSL and Moors so they are the 3 you'd be looking at resting if any. And you don't necessarily have to rest them. Just give them reduced minutes.
Add in the 3 players who've only missed a game because they got flown to the other side of the planet for a meaningless game, there's 6 players who are yet to have a rest.

But you do need to split up who gets rested and this double header is the perfect time to do it. So Hardaker miss one, Gale the other etc.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 22 May 2017, 17:58

old cas lass wrote:
Flat Capper wrote:

Thought mcmeeken and junior moors looked a bit jaded.
Mcmeeken just don't seen his self, junior when tackled seemed to take an age to get up off the floor. In saying that he still put some busts in.
Totally agree with this - spot on.

Meeks has looked tired since the Aus trip. Junior is immense every game but is only human (I think....!!)

What a great problem that DP has though - rotating a winning side that is the talk of the sporting world. I trust him & his coaching team to make the right calls

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 22 May 2017, 18:54

TheSheriff wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:The only ones to play every game so far are Eden, JSL and Moors so they are the 3 you'd be looking at resting if any. And you don't necessarily have to rest them. Just give them reduced minutes.
Add in the 3 players who've only missed a game because they got flown to the other side of the planet for a meaningless game, there's 6 players who are yet to have a rest.

But you do need to split up who gets rested and this double header is the perfect time to do it. So Hardaker miss one, Gale the other etc.
True that.

But I don't think Gale will get a rest until we're mathematically secure in the top 4/top 2. When you've got the home ties, you can afford to rest them for a game I think.

I also think the pivots are positions that don't really need resting as much as those in the middle. The forwards do both battles (attacking and defending).

The full-back is largely observant for most of the game and rarely called into action in defence unless they break through or camped on the line. Ditto, the halves who cop big hits in attack but don't necessarily get called into action much in defence as the central unit.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 22 May 2017, 19:02

Players cant be on top of there game all the time massey had a couple of under par games hes been great last two games same for andy lynch playing well again now
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Normy-Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Normy-Tiger » 22 May 2017, 20:10

Gale cant be rested until Roberts is up to scratch and Holmes gets a few more games under belt.

I would rest 3 or 4 vs Widnes then go all in vs Leigh which will be tough away from home.

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 22 May 2017, 21:12

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 22 May 2017, 21:55

Scoopage wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... Cpuqs0DYxY
Good listen from 6:20mins
So its sounds like they are targeting the 2 homes games next, prob as they know chase cant play on Fri and we have won each game scoring 45+ on Avg

good news for us that

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 22 May 2017, 22:55

I like Denis Betts. Talks a lot of sense and shows real humility.

I think he's the 2nd best coach in the league.
Audacter Et Sincere

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 23 May 2017, 07:14

I like betts he comes across as a good bloke ..i didnt understand why he droped the two young lads who were there two best players in the cup tie for the match against wakey and played the two warrington second teamers whod just arrived tho
Vince Lombardi

Bolton-tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bolton-tiger » 23 May 2017, 10:30

I agree with what he says about mcshane tho,way hes playin he must be pushing for internationals as i carnt see any other hooker coming close to him as of yet in super league

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 23 May 2017, 11:03

If the World Cup squad is picked on form which it should be,you could add to it from the team on top of Zak Gale and mckmeeken?mcshane shenny and Eden.that would be awesome for our club.

Normy-Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Normy-Tiger » 23 May 2017, 11:43

Plus Massey with the USA and our 3 Samoans. Anymore?? Will be great to see.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 23 May 2017, 11:58

sure john kear will be looking to see if milner as any welsh blood in him :)
Vince Lombardi

Normy-Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Normy-Tiger » 23 May 2017, 12:11

Springer go with France?