Massey

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Massey

Post by Mysterio » 22 May 2017, 09:52

Special mention to Massey from me.

Everyone played their part, no doubt others others played better than Nathan even, but at a time when Leeds were on the front foot and their line speed was strong, I thought Nathan really really steadied the ship, took the ball up better than anyone during an important period, and his footwork at the line prevented Leeds from dominant tackling.

All the players bring something different to the Party, but when their defence was getting on top of our usual setups, Massey for me, brought a sense of calm.

I would also note that's the best I've seen Andy lynch play this year too, overall..
Audacter Et Sincere

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Massey

Post by cogito ergo sum » 22 May 2017, 09:53

Hear hear... Well said.

Bramley Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bramley Tiger » 22 May 2017, 10:00

Said exactly the same to my sons during the game.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 22 May 2017, 10:07

He had a great game did Nathan. Never put on his back once and quick play-the-balls really got us some momentum going forward.

robofcas
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by robofcas » 22 May 2017, 10:09

Im really glad that people are noticing what Nathan brings to the team. He is that steady calm influence and will fill Lynch' shoes aptly when he retires. Every team needs these type of players and in Lynch, Massey and Oggy we have 3 of the best.
TOP 6? stranger things happen!

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 22 May 2017, 10:14

He was really good. Never outstanding by he enabled mcshane to get the ball with a quick play. Leeds bust a gut in the first half to contain us. We could have been out of sight with a bit more luck.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 22 May 2017, 12:35

Great to see the MASS getting some plaudits for a change, always does the hard work, in reality rarely as a poor game but as become a target when we have an off day.
Well played Nathan.

Andrew6666
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Andrew6666 » 23 May 2017, 00:10

I'm one of his biggest critics, but he has stepped up his game from last season and is playing well. Does the 'donkey' work that isn't going to get you noticed as much as some others.

Le Van
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Le Van » 23 May 2017, 07:04

Mysterio wrote:
All the players bring something different to the Party, but when their defence was getting on top of our usual setups, Massey for me, brought a sense of calm.
If you watch Massey before he receives the ball from McShane he already knows roughly which area of the pitch he's going to be tackled in.

This is probably under instruction from whoever is calling the shots on that set of 6

I don't believe that his aim is to bust through but to commit 3 tacklers then invariably a quick play the ball to attack a different point in the defensive line

Very clever.....

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 23 May 2017, 08:58

Le Van wrote:
Mysterio wrote:
If you watch Massey before he receives the ball from McShane he already knows roughly which area of the pitch he's going to be tackled in.

This is probably under instruction from whoever is calling the shots on that set of 6

I don't believe that his aim is to bust through but to commit 3 tacklers then invariably a quick play the ball to attack a different point in the defensive line

Very clever.....
EXACTLY. Glad you can see it too :-)

His setups are second to none and THIS is the reason DP (and I) rate him so highly. He's very methodical and determined to set us up properly. We do the same thing with other players but this is Nathan's JOB.
Audacter Et Sincere

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 23 May 2017, 12:39

Yep, it's a simple game plan with Massey. He gets told where we want to play the ball next to set up for the next play and he goes there. He also has that knack of being able to land on his front and get a quick PTB. Like Mysterio says, thats his job. What has stood out for me over the last couple of weeks though is that he has been going 'above and beyond' his allocated role, which is what has got him noticed more.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 23 May 2017, 13:23

Before I go on I'd like to make it clear this is not an attempt to belittle what Massey does but...

Are we sure the way he takes the ball in is a deliberate tactic? As I see it he either can't break a tackle or is incapable of providing the defence lung busting leg drive to carry two/three defenders with him. He simply falls over at the first tackle and it's that which results in him landing on his front and subsequently get to his feet quickly.

Yes, in the main it has an effect but as a defender I would simply hit him in the singular, tackling him around the legs (he rarely off-loads) which would then allow me to get to my feet quickly whilst allowing my team mates the opportunity to defend the next play in numbers.

Just a thought...
Spreading the Cas gene pool

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 23 May 2017, 23:11

the one thing I like about massey I like is no matter how bad things are going he always has a smile on his face.
regarding how DP uses him to be tackled in a certain place, reilly used a very underrated hooker in exactly the same way all those years ago.
jo brand is eddie warings love child