Greg Eden

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Greg Eden

Post by tigerfeat » 27 May 2017, 08:36

The try where he tiped it up and caught it again running at speed was outstanding
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 27 May 2017, 09:04

Robbo wrote:Don't forget we let him go because he wasn't good enough !

I certainly feel he is better for having travelled

robbo
We didn't.

We offered him a contract, which he rejected as Huddersfield offered more cash.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 27 May 2017, 09:05

tigerfeat wrote:The try where he tiped it up and caught it again running at speed was outstanding

Out of this world.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 27 May 2017, 09:45

He certainly gives everyone food for thought. The try from Gale's kick was about the best of its kind I've seen, he had no right to catch that ball. Outstanding.

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 29 May 2017, 20:11

HuddsTigers wrote:
Robbo wrote:Don't forget we let him go because he wasn't good enough !

I certainly feel he is better for having travelled

robbo
We didn't.

We offered him a contract, which he rejected as Huddersfield offered more cash.
As I recall the deal we offered was insulting. However that Clown of a CEO is now gone. Amazing how things change with the right folk in place...

takethetwo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by takethetwo » 29 May 2017, 20:34

Now scored more tries in 4 days than Ryan Hall has all season , wonder who Bennett will have on the left edge in the World Cup .

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 29 May 2017, 21:25

How many would Hall have scored playing left wing for Cas? Also as important, you could make a case that Hall is better defensively and under the high ball.

onetiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by onetiger » 29 May 2017, 21:41

cogito ergo sum wrote:How many would Hall have scored playing left wing for Cas? Also as important, you could make a case that Hall is better defensively and under the high ball.
dont care what hall does or does not do i would pick greg over him any game

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 29 May 2017, 23:29

[quote="cogito ergo sum"]How many would Hall have scored playing left wing for Cas? Also as important, you could make a case that Hall is better defensively and under the high ball.[/quote]

I know what you mean but today greg was faultless.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Normy-Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Normy-Tiger » 29 May 2017, 23:39

Not sure why Ryan Hall has been brought into it..... We are talking about Greg here and how he now has 25 tries in 16 Superleague games. 14 games to break Voldermorts record.

If Ryan Hall was on our left wing do I think he would have 25 tries in this many games???? No.

He is no longer the Ryan Hall.of 3 year ago. People may say he is better defensively and under the high ball but so is Monaghan than Eden. We get on at Monnas for having no pace. Same issue with Hall for me. What Makes Eden different is not only his pace but his ball skills at hand which no other Winger in Superleague has. He may drop some high balls but he takes in some wicked catches for his tries as well as being able to throw some great passes too.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 30 May 2017, 09:46

Normy-Tiger wrote:Not sure why Ryan Hall has been brought into it..... We are talking about Greg here and how he now has 25 tries in 16 Superleague games. 14 games to break Voldermorts record.

If Ryan Hall was on our left wing do I think he would have 25 tries in this many games???? No.

He is no longer the Ryan Hall.of 3 year ago. People may say he is better defensively and under the high ball but so is Monaghan than Eden. We get on at Monnas for having no pace. Same issue with Hall for me. What Makes Eden different is not only his pace but his ball skills at hand which no other Winger in Superleague has. He may drop some high balls but he takes in some wicked catches for his tries as well as being able to throw some great passes too.
I suppose Ryan Hall was brought into the discussion because he is England's current left wing and people are talking about Greg taking over, an interesting and relevant talking point.
Last year I made the point, as many did, that Solomona scored lots of tries on the same edge. Most wingers would because of the quality inside, an acknowledgement that Greg made yesterday. However, some of his finishes have been outstanding, as against Widnes. The consideration Bennett has to make is about all round skill sets, which includes defence.

takethetwo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by takethetwo » 30 May 2017, 10:22

Exactly , that left edge only works though because every player knows his job . For it to work for England , Gale , Hardaker, Shenny and Eden all have to be in the team with a second row like Farrell running the same lines as JSL .

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 30 May 2017, 10:27

takethetwo wrote:Exactly , that left edge only works though because every player knows his job . For it to work for England , Gale , Hardaker, Shenny and Eden all have to be in the team with a second row like Farrell running the same lines as JSL .

Exactly.
I just can't see Bennett having the bottle to pick and play all 3, which is a shame.

robofcas
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by robofcas » 30 May 2017, 11:52

I don't see it happening, but any of the second rowers currently in the England system and the ones to come back would fit nicely to that left edge.

McMeekan
Whitehead
Currie will no doubt be involved

Back row of the pack is very very very strong. Where I have always believed we have been let down as a nation for the last 15 years or so is at Half Back. We now have someone in Gale who has the confidence to take the ball right upto the line and make that late pass, he'll get clobbered every now and again but how good would it be to see the aussies on the back foot trying to figure out what is actually going to happen, rather than the boring lump it up the middle!!

Back to Greg Eden, he is playing some outstanding stuff and I think people make too much of his errors, he plays in a position that carry the ball a lot of times, pressured under kicks (attack and defence). The lad is doing fantastic and some of his ball handling lately has been World Class let alone England Class!!
TOP 6? stranger things happen!