Scrum Half

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Le Van
Academy Player
Academy Player

Scrum Half

Post by Le Van » 13 May 2017, 21:36

I first started watching Cas as a spotty teenager in the early 80''s when Bobby Beardmore was our 7.

He was my hero - henceforth all 7's would be compared to him.

Now I could probably list them all from there to here including all the crappy not so cheap imports over the years but I won't. ...

Mickey Ford might have just edged him because of the quality of players outside him but other than that to be honest I can't think of another 7 in parrallel.

However...

I am becoming of the opinion that Luke Gale is the best overall scrum half that we have had over the last 40 years. His total game and the way that he has improved sInce joining the club is a complete testament to what is happening down the lane at the moment.

Long may it continue. ......

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Scrum Half

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 13 May 2017, 23:28

Same. Beardsmore was the first 7 I saw. We have had a lot of good uns.
Ford as you say, Tony Smith, Brad Davis, Brough were all quality.
Gary French, Mitch Healey and Sherwin had their moments.
Never got to see Hepworth and Freeman.
But Gale has to be right up there.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 13 May 2017, 23:41

love gale but I was privileged to see heppy.
heppy was rated as the best by all his peers in that era and luke will be up there when he is lauded in the same way.
I sincerely hope he eventually is.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 13 May 2017, 23:51

lurcher wrote:love gale but I was privileged to see heppy.
heppy was rated as the best by all his peers in that era and luke will be up there when he is lauded in the same way.
I sincerely hope he eventually is.
I agree Heppy was the best one I saw in that role in the days of contested scrums.
He couldn't do the job Gale does because he didn't kick. But both are the best I have seen for the time and role they played

onetiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by onetiger » 14 May 2017, 00:24

i like gary freeman pitty he was
only on short contract

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 14 May 2017, 08:18

Why has nobody mentioned Gary Stevens as he was at one time rated as the third best in the world by a rugby league news magazine at the height of his career !

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 14 May 2017, 08:23

Yes Stevens and Casper both ended up at Wigan with great reputations but neither beat Heppy who was in the Hull 1980 Cup Final squad twenty odd years after his Cas debut. How many other Ashes winners have we ever had at scrum half?

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 14 May 2017, 08:37

Happy was great, so is Gale. Freeman didn't play much at SH, he filled in on wing sometimes. He didn't come to Cas when he was the best. Stephens not in same league as Heppy. But why I think the question is impossible is that the game then was totally different, unlimited tackles which meant not as much kicking. Almost no tries were scored from kicks so players were never judged on a kicking game. Luke actually plays more like Hardisty did in open play, supporting plays, killer pass, not much defence. Tactically things are very different. One defensive scrum yesterday had Holmes packing down, Luke in centre, Millo stand off etc. That would never have happened in H Bombs day. BTW... Chuck was the best ever! Every Cas kid was Chuck Hardisty when we played tig and pass.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 14 May 2017, 08:38

Sorry..Heppy not Happy, although he was small and was happy in his pigeon loft!

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 14 May 2017, 08:47

cogito ergo sum wrote:Happy was great, so is Gale. Freeman didn't play much at SH, he filled in on wing sometimes. He didn't come to Cas when he was the best. Stephens not in same league as Heppy. But why I think the question is impossible is that the game then was totally different, unlimited tackles which meant not as much kicking. Almost no tries were scored from kicks so players were never judged on a kicking game. Luke actually plays more like Hardisty did in open play, supporting plays, killer pass, not much defence. Tactically things are very different. One defensive scrum yesterday had Holmes packing down, Luke in centre, Millo stand off etc. That would never have happened in H Bombs day. BTW... Chuck was the best ever! Every Cas kid was Chuck Hardisty when we played tig and pass.
Totally agree about Heppy and Gale. Very much what I said further up the thread.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 14 May 2017, 14:42

[quote="cogito ergo sum"]Happy was great, so is Gale. Freeman didn't play much at SH, he filled in on wing sometimes. He didn't come to Cas when he was the best. Stephens not in same league as Heppy. But why I think the question is impossible is that the game then was totally different, unlimited tackles which meant not as much kicking. Almost no tries were scored from kicks so players were never judged on a kicking game. Luke actually plays more like Hardisty did in open play, supporting plays, killer pass, not much defence. Tactically things are very different. One defensive scrum yesterday had Holmes packing down, Luke in centre, Millo stand off etc. That would never have happened in H Bombs day. BTW... Chuck was the best ever! Every Cas kid was Chuck Hardisty when we played tig and pass.[/quote]

I still am. :D
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Exiled
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Exiled » 14 May 2017, 16:08

CasRus wrote:Why has nobody mentioned Gary Stevens as he was at one time rated as the third best in the world by a rugby league news magazine at the height of his career !
I always thought he was over rated.

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 15 May 2017, 14:15

If there only had been a way to keep Roger the dodger at Cas , and Le Van you would have had the privilege of watching and supporting a great scrum-half, the last captain of GB to beat the Aussies' in a World cup, but just before you started watching Cas.
Gale is good, but comparisons' can't be made, as someone pointed out, rugby league has changed, and in my opinion a lot of skill lost, but to make up for it, the speed of play now is awesome.

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 15 May 2017, 16:32

Tell you another player I thought was brilliant when he came to Cas - Bruce Burton !Can anyone remember him - electrifying acceleration ! It's like walking down memory lane on this forum topic !

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 15 May 2017, 17:47

I agree he was awesome. That mid 70s side was full of exciting players

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 15 May 2017, 19:46

My abiding memory of Bruce was a try at Headingley. Leeds dropped ball and Bruce swept through their line, bent and picked the ball up one handed without breaking stride and sprinted half the length. Wow.

Bought him from Halifax, £8000 I think, but not sure.

devontiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by devontiger » 15 May 2017, 19:58

Exiled wrote:
CasRus wrote:Why has nobody mentioned Gary Stevens as he was at one time rated as the third best in the world by a rugby league news magazine at the height of his career !
you obviously never watched him play.

43s flyer
League One Player
League One Player

Post by 43s flyer » 15 May 2017, 22:03

does he mean gareth his son

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 15 May 2017, 22:26

devontiger wrote:
Exiled wrote:
you obviously never watched him play.
Gary was a good player but never quite lived up to his early promise. Another who was tipped for the top was Glyn Jones, who remained a good player but never reached the heights. The problem at that time was the legacy of Chuck and Roger, we were all waiting for the second coming and it never quite arrived, stand off that is. I think Bob Beardmore came very close ar scrum half, and deserves his place amongst Cas greats, as does his twin Kevin.

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 15 May 2017, 22:35

Gary Stevens played mid 70s - he was lightening quick - saw him a few years
ago hobbling around Ponte Golf Club awaiting a hip operation after all the wear and tear from his career.

Bruce Burton was like an assassin once we had made the break - I can't ever remember anyone catching up with him once he broke the line.

There's a long line of good players Cas had down the years that go unsung and some were real characters ! That's what made Cas - the character of the people and the character of the place !

Cas fans are the best and I think we can pat ourselves on the back ! Mind you there is some I could punch in the face and they wouldn't be any uglier... Ha ha ! Only joking !,