Tom Holmes

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Normy-Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Tom Holmes

Post by Normy-Tiger » 13 May 2017, 18:52

Went about his business quiet today but played 60 minutes and went really well. Held his own in defence, made a few breaks and set a few breaks up with great passing at the line.

With Rangis issues is it time for Tom Holmes to step up and become our 3rd half back choice from the bench?? The lad is 21 and will only improve from playing so from now until the end of the season its time to prove his place in the squad I think.

Great work today though.

Leeds tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Tom Holmes

Post by Leeds tiger » 13 May 2017, 18:57

I thought he played very well indeed I wouldn't have a problem with him playing more minutes for us when he's needed, and with how benny is with his injuries he may get a fair few games this year

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 13 May 2017, 19:05

Said somewere else he had his best game for us today lovely pass for websters ...agree with what people saying about roberts class player just needs to have a injury free run
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 13 May 2017, 19:27

he can only get better from todays experience. did all that could realistically have been expected of him.
he showed more attacking variety than either of the saints halves
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 13 May 2017, 20:01

His flick on to Minikin was outstanding.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 21 May 2017, 20:13

Bet his heart was beating like a lion as he ran to mass support behind sticks ...we had to work hard to get on top but blitzed them as we do once we scored first try in second half
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 21 May 2017, 20:22

Was his best game in attack by some distance but Leeds ran straight over him twice to score.

That's the biggest thing Roberts brings, his defence. Benny wouldn't have scored that try though!

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 21 May 2017, 20:51

TheSheriff wrote: Benny wouldn't have scored that try though!
You would be able to play a tune on his hamstrings if he did!. Yeah Bennys a beast in defence . Tom Holmes has a little filling out to do but the kids doing fine :)

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 21 May 2017, 21:09

duke street 10 wrote:
TheSheriff wrote: Benny wouldn't have scored that try though!
You would be able to play a tune on his hamstrings if he did!. Yeah Bennys a beast in defence . Tom Holmes has a little filling out to do but the kids doing fine :)
Our problem down our right started with Webster going off, don't think Tom would have been as exposed if Jake had still been out there.
Holmes scored a great try but did little else in attack as the play generally went left, just like the good old days.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 21 May 2017, 21:18

TheSheriff wrote:Was his best game in attack by some distance but Leeds ran straight over him twice to score.

That's the biggest thing Roberts brings, his defence. Benny wouldn't have scored that try though!

Think they ran over foster more than Holmes. Holmes was solid against Ferguson & Taia. Ward was great today caused us problems. Foster struggled in the centre but he won't have expected to come on there.

johnson
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by johnson » 21 May 2017, 21:47

Think they ran over foster more than Holmes. Holmes was solid against Ferguson & Taia. Ward was great today caused us problems. Foster struggled in the centre but he won't have expected to come on there.[/quote]

Yes foster is definitely not a centre :D

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 21 May 2017, 21:59

Thought Tom Holmes did really well today and having only played a couple of times or so in the big misters league you can forgive him being run over a couple of times - he will toughen up with a bit more SL game play once he is used to how hard players run at him and what resistance to impact he will need to toughen up for - that is just about getting this experience and he is only just starting out really. Team did well as Leeds were fired up in the 1st half and where we took on a number of injuries.

PSTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by PSTiger » 21 May 2017, 22:30

Not been the biggest fan of Tom from what I've seen. However the last two games he has really proved me wrong. He's emreally grown into both games. I'm excited to see how he goes for the rest of the season now.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 21 May 2017, 22:57

PSTiger wrote:Not been the biggest fan of Tom from what I've seen. However the last two games he has really proved me wrong. He's emreally grown into both games. I'm excited to see how he goes for the rest of the season now.

He's more of a Gale than a Roberts/Chase we know that. But if he wants to be a general at Cas he needs to find his voice and not be scared to give the big boys a roasting just like Galey does.

WallTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by WallTiger » 22 May 2017, 08:32

Toms not let anyone down and is looking more and more comfortable in the team.

I know it was a really poor kick by Maguire but it had a bit of power behind it and it could have easily been knocked on and then who knows if Leeds would have scored and been back in the game but Tom caught it brilliantly and pinned his ears back and got to the line ( how slow was Hall by the way!) that for me really knocked the stuffing out of Leeds in that second half.

That passage of play in itself will hopefully give him so much confidence and self belief.

Well played Tom :clap:

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 22 May 2017, 08:42

WallTiger wrote:Toms not let anyone down and is looking more and more comfortable in the team.

I know it was a really poor kick by Maguire but it had a bit of power behind it and it could have easily been knocked on and then who knows if Leeds would have scored and been back in the game but Tom caught it brilliantly and pinned his ears back and got to the line ( how slow was Hall by the way!) that for me really knocked the stuffing out of Leeds in that second half.

That passage of play in itself will hopefully give him so much confidence and self belief.

Well played Tom :clap:
hall has become Alot slower since bulking up to the size of a prop
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 22 May 2017, 09:09

Well done to Tom Holmes. What an occasion and arena to score your first try for your home town club.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 22 May 2017, 09:18

It's hard to predict how half backs will develop, or if they ever will. Let's not forget how Luke was not long ago, playing with London and Bradford and none of the big teams interested. Williams has been playing for a long time at Wigan with the security of a good set up and Wane playing him regardless. McNally and Brierly were going all the way to the top, but look now!
I think with Tom, little and often

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 22 May 2017, 10:25

I rarely saw him in the first half. Looked out off his depth. DP maybe would have put milner to 9, mcshane to 6 if webbo hadn't have got injured.

All credit to the lad. His second half was much better. Not much attacking that but defensively targeted. He stood up well to ward and moon.

Little by little he'll get better.

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tiger53 » 22 May 2017, 10:32

Tigerade wrote:Well done to Tom Holmes. What an occasion and arena to score your first try for your home town club.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Cracking try and brilliant to see. It wasn't his first for the club though, he scored away at Wakefield last season.