Cas TV

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Dazzyb
Academy Player
Academy Player

Cas TV

Post by Dazzyb » 16 Apr 2017, 14:01

Just watching a free view game of Wigan and saints under 19s on Facebook. Surely castleford should start embracing technology better, with our improved fan base they could make a killing. Heard on sky the other day carney drop the gauntlet to any team game in the world that they would not find a better or more entertaining team than castleford tigers. Personally I feel with the membership fees they would be able to afford a reserve grade which too could be broadcasted live along with the 19s. Delayed coverage for home 1st team games of course. Opportunities are out there as too is 21st technology so cas please use it.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Cas TV

Post by derbystiger » 16 Apr 2017, 14:05

Dazzyb wrote:Just watching a free view game of Wigan and saints under 19s on Facebook. Surely castleford should start embracing technology better, with our improved fan base they could make a killing. Heard on sky the other day carney drop the gauntlet to any team game in the world that they would not find a better or more entertaining team than castleford tigers. Personally I feel with the membership fees they would be able to afford a reserve grade which too could be broadcasted live along with the 19s. Delayed coverage for home 1st team games of course. Opportunities are out there as too is 21st technology so cas please use it.
Steve Gill was asked the question when he was on the RL on RY show on Radio Yorkshire 2 weeks ago, and he said it isn't anything that we will be looking at whilst we are at Wheldon Road, but would be when we move. Also said that we make good money from selling the DVD's so we don't need to go down the 'CAS TV' route.

Dazzyb
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dazzyb » 16 Apr 2017, 14:49

I would expect that and don't really see what a change of venue has to do with technology ? We have a fantastic product on the field but thiis needs replicating elsewhere in the club. I'd love to know how many DVD's they sell. I could honestly see a fair few thousand subscribing to an online service, surely DVD sales aren't that hot? Oh well .. each to their own

Beth
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Beth » 16 Apr 2017, 15:17

Given the facilities and the space at Wheldon Road, I can understand them not wanting to bring in anything particularly technical etc. But even if they just uploaded copies of the matches online and streamed them in an online platform - I'd be much more inclined to pay an annual fee of around £40 to access them. Even Hull KR do that, and they're in a league below us!

Dazzyb
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dazzyb » 16 Apr 2017, 16:04

That's what I was thinking Beth. We have supporters now coming from all over. It's. It not difficult ?

usacas
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by usacas » 16 Apr 2017, 17:52

Would be great for all us far flung exiles. I would definitely pay a fee.

fenton
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: AFenton90

Post by fenton » 16 Apr 2017, 18:50

Beth wrote:Given the facilities and the space at Wheldon Road, I can understand them not wanting to bring in anything particularly technical etc. But even if they just uploaded copies of the matches online and streamed them in an online platform - I'd be much more inclined to pay an annual fee of around £40 to access them. Even Hull KR do that, and they're in a league below us!

Id certainly be interested in this.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 16 Apr 2017, 18:59

Given we sell DVDs at £10 a head or whatever it is and sell loads of copies, £40 would be absolutely pointless from a business sense. You would be making less money.

Can see why the club don't want to pursue it. What can be offered that isn't already for free? If you want to do something like this you would have to put Tiger Talk Radio commentary, all interviews and YouTube vids and match highlights behind a paywall.

To make it worthwhile, I think you would be looking at nearer £100 a year to make it worthwhile.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Normy-Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Normy-Tiger » 16 Apr 2017, 19:30

I never buy a DVD. Never. But would happily pay something like £12.99 a month for U19 matches online and first team games shown 24hrs after original match plus interviews etc....

If S Gill thinks there is not enough on the market for it then ai trust him. Not put a foot wrong so far.

onetiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by onetiger » 16 Apr 2017, 19:35

i collect all the dvd,s have done a number of years but if cas did stream the games i would also pay for them 12-99 would be about right price as well look at the fans who live a long way away and cant get to all games or get dvd,s our over sea fans as well think we missing out on some much needed income ....

Beth
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Beth » 16 Apr 2017, 19:37

HuddsTigers wrote:Given we sell DVDs at £10 a head or whatever it is and sell loads of copies, £40 would be absolutely pointless from a business sense. You would be making less money.

Can see why the club don't want to pursue it. What can be offered that isn't already for free? If you want to do something like this you would have to put Tiger Talk Radio commentary, all interviews and YouTube vids and match highlights behind a paywall.

To make it worthwhile, I think you would be looking at nearer £100 a year to make it worthwhile.
I see where you're coming from, but I don't understand this logic of making less money. Let's be honest, with moving technology people don't buy DVD's that often, I know I don't. Streaming content is where the money is - my family used to buy match DVD's a lot from around 2006-2010, but when it already costs £22 to get in, why would you want to spent £10 on a DVD nowadays when extended highlights are online? Surely more people would be inclined to purchase streaming of matches rather than a physical copy - personally I don't actually live anywhere near Cas and never have the opportunity to pop by the shop except on match days - and I wouldn't get one delivered with postage on top.

£100 is just an insane price?! If Hull KR can have a model like this https://www.hullkr.tv for £50 a year - why can't we? Wigan charge £38 for the same content https://tv.wiganwarriors.com, Wakefield have the same and charge £50!

I just feel like we are way behind the times on this one - we're being left behind.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 16 Apr 2017, 20:30

I work in digital and would ordinarily agree. The only way that it would be beneficial is if the club was able to capitalise in advertising and commercial sponsorship to a) cut the costs needed from fans; and b) make it a more profitable channel.

I'm pretty sure for the bigger games the club sells upto 200 DVDs, possibly even more. Certainly for big derby wins. The club actually makes some good cash off them.

The way we are playing at the moment 8 x wins @ £10 x200 = £16,000. That means we would have to double our digital audience providing that 200 is what we sell on average. And given that people will share logins and subscriptions, would it really be likely that we would get a huge uptake? I could give my login to three different households of 5 other Cas fans?

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 16 Apr 2017, 20:36

PS I can't comment on other clubs but have they ever actually sold DVDs? If they haven't then it makes sense as to why they went straight to digital.

New income stream and nothing to compare. A lot of our fans are local and will visit the club shop. I would ask whether a digital platform would only be catering for the few (e.g. Those outside Cas).

It would require market research to test viability. We are playing with hypotheses and speculative figures. Wigan certainly would be able to keep updating it with fresh content because they will have the off-field structure.

Not dismissing the idea by any stretch. I have proposed the idea in the past similarly along with digital match programmes and a kids area too. But I do feel it would require a bigger social media and marketing team to facilitate.

Dez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dez » 17 Apr 2017, 12:42

39,000 watched the wigan under 19 game. Imagine the advertising possibly