Magic weekend

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Magic weekend

Post by TT Tiger » 16 Feb 2017, 17:36

I really hope I've got this wrong but is the magic weekend the week after the England Samoa game? If so are we going to be without nearly half out team. Bennet has just said in an interview that some of the players would have to sit out a week after the game. If this is right the rfl has royally fluffed this up. They could be having a show piece event with out any England internationals not to mention Roberts Moors JSL. Like I said please tell me I have this wrong.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: Magic weekend

Post by HuddsTigers » 16 Feb 2017, 18:43

He's taking a max of three players from each team and something like a max of 12 from SL.

The mid-season test is on Saturday May 6th. Magic Weekend is the 20th/21st May. The weekend after is currently blank but that's because it's the 6th Round Challenge Cup Weekend.

So we may be fielding a weakened side against whoever makes it through to the 6th Round and we get drawn against.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Normy-Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Normy-Tiger » 16 Feb 2017, 19:44

HuddsTigers wrote:He's taking a max of three players from each team and something like a max of 12 from SL.

The mid-season test is on Saturday May 6th. Magic Weekend is the 20th/21st May. The weekend after is currently blank but that's because it's the 6th Round Challenge Cup Weekend.

So we may be fielding a weakened side against whoever makes it through to the 6th Round and we get drawn against.
We play Huddersfield away on 4th May..... Meaning we will have 3 English players missing. More than likely - Hardaker, Gale and Shenny or Meeks....

Plus if we have any Samoans.... bit of a joke this isnt it???

Dez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dez » 16 Feb 2017, 19:54

We moan when are players don't get picked and now people moaning that they might get picked .that's why we sign players into the squad

Normy-Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Normy-Tiger » 16 Feb 2017, 19:58

I would rather have our players playing against Huddersield for an important 2 points than playing in a friendly for England. Wouldnt you??

homeandaway
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by homeandaway » 16 Feb 2017, 20:10

No I wouldn't. Having players selected for international duties is a mark of respect worth far more to the club than 2 point .if we really want to be repected as a top 4 team then this is one of the things that we just have to put up with .you didn't see Leeds and Wigan complaining about this

Normy-Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Normy-Tiger » 16 Feb 2017, 20:14

homeandaway wrote:No I wouldn't. Having players selected for international duties is a mark of respect worth far more to the club than 2 point .if we really want to be repected as a top 4 team then this is one of the things that we just have to put up with .you didn't see Leeds and Wigan complaining about this
I understand for World Cups/ 4 nations etc... but for a mid term friendly I totally disagree.

Come seasons end if we lose and are 2 points off top 4 or league leaders shield then lets be honest. We will be miffed. Or at least I will be.
Last edited by Normy-Tiger on 16 Feb 2017, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

Normy-Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Normy-Tiger » 16 Feb 2017, 20:15

Also.... The NRL have a week off for these mid season tests. Wouldnt it of just been easier if we did.

Dez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dez » 16 Feb 2017, 20:24

One of the reasons zac hardaker came to cas was to win back his England place so .... MM could win his 1st cap ..... luke gale could cement his place and shenni what a great achievement .. yet you don't want that !!!!!!!!!!!

Normy-Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Normy-Tiger » 16 Feb 2017, 20:27

Dez wrote:One of the reasons zac hardaker came to cas was to win back his England place so .... MM could win his 1st cap ..... luke gale could cement his place and shenni what a great achievement .. yet you don't want that !!!!!!!!!!!
Yeh I do want that. I just think its shocking from the RFL not to have a weeks break like the NRL have.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 16 Feb 2017, 20:38

Dez wrote:One of the reasons zac hardaker came to cas was to win back his England place so .... MM could win his 1st cap ..... luke gale could cement his place and shenni what a great achievement .. yet you don't want that !!!!!!!!!!!

Thing is dez, losing 3/4 top players, not just from our team but any other team that have players in the England team mean they the RFL are diluting the competition.
Yes we have a massive squad now, not all below 19/20th are as talented or experienced as the top 17/18 in the squad.

In all fairness the following week should be a blank week.
They've done it this week for the WC challenge.

I can see some of the lower clubs rubbing there hands with glee playing against weakened teams.

By the way I don't begrudge any players winning an international cap.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 16 Feb 2017, 20:48

Swings and rounabouts ..fantastic to see the club have at least five england standard players id definatly include mcshane too pain in bum there going to miss a super league match
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 17 Feb 2017, 01:22

I wonder how many wigan and warrington players will pick up injuries and will have to withdraw but will be ok the week after if they are needed?
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 17 Feb 2017, 07:17

Normy-Tiger wrote:I would rather have our players playing against Huddersield for an important 2 points than playing in a friendly for England. Wouldnt you??
It's a real catch-22 as having players selected shows that we're a club where your international ambitions can be reached and therefore will help us to attract a better standard of player to the club in the future. A bit like playing for Wigan in the 80s and 90s where average players got international caps just because of who they played for.

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 17 Feb 2017, 09:57

the big issue for me that this problem is not as serious in australia as there isn't the threat of relegation for teams supplying players for test & origin games. the rfl expect our clubs to supply players then as a thank-you the weekend team could lose points & end up going down & that is why the roses matches are also a no-no.

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 17 Feb 2017, 10:02

lurcher wrote:I wonder how many wigan and warrington players will pick up injuries and will have to withdraw but will be ok the week after if they are needed?
Should be a ruling if injured for International games, not available for club games for the following week.

Soccer had that problem years ago, ex Leeds unt players would have had a lot more caps.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 17 Feb 2017, 11:31

I'm sure if the number gets too high you can rearrange the league game. We could lose up to 6, with a max rule of 3 per team.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 17 Feb 2017, 14:24

mart0042 wrote:I'm sure if the number gets too high you can rearrange the league game. We could lose up to 6, with a max rule of 3 per team.
I've got us a potentially 7. Hardaker, Shenton, Gale, McMeeken, Moors, Roberts, JSL. I know that Moors hasn't played for Samoa recently, but with his form I think there is a chance he could be called up

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 17 Feb 2017, 16:17

Having seen the game last night (16/2/17) I think I could turn out against Hudds on the 4th so nowt to worry about their.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

the happy hooker9
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Doing Spins, Backdrops and kicks on the dance floor

Post by the happy hooker9 » 17 Feb 2017, 18:06

This potentially could come and bite us on the a***e big time, similar thing happened in late sixties, again we were going great - Heppy, Bill Bryant and Chuck selected to play against France prior to cup game against Flat Cappers, - Heppy injured, Bill Bryant broke his leg never the same player again and both missed match. Chuck suffering from international and needless to say we lost, think by the odd point. We went into the game as favourites for the cup but due to these call-ups suffered. :evil: