Improvements

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Stoke Bloke
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Erm......Stoke surprisingly. Thats the rough bit between Manchester and Birmingham.

Re: Improvements

Post by Stoke Bloke » 13 Feb 2017, 17:03

Classy B wrote:Just thought, that he had no problem kicking into touch from the restart. Lol

That was off the kicking tee kicks to touch are out of hand which is a different technique which is why many players in both codes can kick further and importantly more accurately from a tee. Its not even about kicking strength its about body angles, weight transference, contact area etc.

Stokie
BE LOYAL BE LOUD BE CAS.

John 3:16

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 13 Feb 2017, 17:11

RU kickers generally gain far ground more from penalties kicked from hand. I can remember years ago some kicking to touch from place kicks in RL, but I'm not sure on the current rules.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 13 Feb 2017, 17:31

braytontiger wrote:Forget about the kicking to touch it's a way to re-start the game,it hardly hampers our scoring ability does it.
I disagree, and the short penalties (particularly from within our own half) have been my frustration for a couple of years now. With the amount of ground we make, we might as well just tap the ball! Often, the opposition's defensive line actually moves up after one of our penalties! Our forwards then have to gain the ground that could have been made already with a decent penalty kick, sapping their energy and leaving us further from the opposition's line come the final play.
A good, long penalty kick is a boost to the attacking team and a blow for the defending team.
Bring back Brent Sherwin - his penalties used to give the whole team (and the crowd) a lift. He could put a defending team on their own line from a penalty kick given well into our own half.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 13 Feb 2017, 17:43

braytontiger wrote:Forget about the kicking to touch it's a way to re-start the game,it hardly hampers our scoring ability does it,the players probably prefer the extra space rather than been camped on the try line where defences don't have to retreat.they also back there ability to score from anywhere on the field.believe it or not every set comes from a play book and they know at the start of every set the way we are going to play and where they want to start on the field.

Has for the completion rate 79% is pretty good take away the opening 15 minutes and that would have been far higher. The coaches and players will always look for improvement in our game but good coaches don't look at just the negatives they look at what we did good too and look to do it consistently.
Its not a plan when were on our own 25 to kick to near half way line surely ?
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 13 Feb 2017, 18:08

Yes it's all about where we want to start our sets. Half way line ideal no closer than 30 yards to the line.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 13 Feb 2017, 18:20

Ok fair enough..way were going wont loose much sleep over it anyway
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 13 Feb 2017, 18:32

tigerfeat wrote:Ok fair enough..way were going wont loose much sleep over it anyway
Everything we do is rehearsed every scenario covered,I've heard loads moan about how long it takes Luke gale to kick to touch whilst he speaks to the players then kicks it about 10 yards. The modern game isn't just physical it's also a thinking mans game.the onething you don't see on TV or from the stands is the amount of talk that goes on during a game. Our coaches arnt only very good tactically they are very astute.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 13 Feb 2017, 18:35

I'm not too bothered about completion rate from game 1. We've got a new combination with Zak at the back and inevitably, the ball is going to go to ground. It was our own mistakes that caused that, which should hopefully reduce as the season wears on.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

dude
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by dude » 13 Feb 2017, 18:46

Stoke Bloke wrote:
Classy B wrote:Just thought, that he had no problem kicking into touch from the restart. Lol

That was off the kicking tee kicks to touch are out of hand which is a different technique which is why many players in both codes can kick further and importantly more accurately from a tee. Its not even about kicking strength its about body angles, weight transference, contact area etc.

Stokie
Im not sure there is a rule that says a kick for touch has to be out of your hands. I have seen plenty of players in amateur rugby kick from kicking tee when going for touch. I might be wrong though about there not being a rule for it

lidds
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by lidds » 13 Feb 2017, 21:54

Really enjoy looking at the stats.

One that caught my eye was Leeds had the most carries (209) and only managed to score one try!. And that's vs a team that had the joint most missed tackles (30) we were second best with missed tackles (14) with only hull beating us (10)

Wire had a staggering 20 handling errors !. If you assume they had the ball for half the game that's an errors every 2 mins ! (Even less as ball in play time will be way lower)

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 14 Feb 2017, 01:28

macca 107 passes, I know most would be from acting half but that's a helluva lot.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 14 Feb 2017, 01:32

braytontiger wrote:Forget about the kicking to touch it's a way to re-start the game,it hardly hampers our scoring ability does it,the players probably prefer the extra space rather than been camped on the try line where defences don't have to retreat.they also back there ability to score from anywhere on the field.believe it or not every set comes from a play book and they know at the start of every set the way we are going to play and where they want to start on the field.

Has for the completion rate 79% is pretty good take away the opening 15 minutes and that would have been far higher. The coaches and players will always look for improvement in our game but good coaches don't look at just the negatives they look at what we did good too and look to do it consistently.
the other thing I've noticed is our acting halves don't tend to wave their arms about and complain about delaying tactics. we just use the time to bring extra runners in the line and create more options.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

chesterfieldtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by chesterfieldtiger » 14 Feb 2017, 11:19

lurcher wrote:

the other thing I've noticed is our acting halves don't tend to wave their arms about and complain about delaying tactics. we just use the time to bring extra runners in the line and create more options.
You need to watch milner more mate. He does it continually. To a point where I think it has the opposite effect than we need.

Casforthecup
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casforthecup » 14 Feb 2017, 11:58

I agree, Milner even does it when they are not delaying