Improvements

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Improvements

Post by TT Tiger » 13 Feb 2017, 13:36

Just looking at the stats from Friday night and having watched the game back I can only see 1 area that needs to improve and I think that it will as the weather drys up and that's set completion it was only 77% which needs to improve against the top sides on the flip side our tackle completion was 95% which is outstanding. On a personal note I was surprised we only managed 11 off loads I thought it was more than that but I suppose a couple of the early off loads were dropped so may have reigned it in a bit. Our red zone kicking was superb forcing 4 drop outs, good kick Chase as well when kicking from down town. So not a lot to improve on for me just set completion. But after round 1 we are top of the pile which makes me very content.

#coyf

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: Improvements

Post by Flat Capper » 13 Feb 2017, 13:39

On top of the off-loads you also have to realize that our pack were passing the ball along the line like half-backs and I'm guessing these aren't classed as off-loads.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 13 Feb 2017, 13:41

Improve the penalty kick to touch. Rangi used to gain far more ground than Luke does, but Luke continues to take them. Seems safety first to me.

Casforthecup
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casforthecup » 13 Feb 2017, 13:43

I think the short quick to touch is probably coached. Both like and Rangi have huge kicks

Casforthecup
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casforthecup » 13 Feb 2017, 13:45

Luke

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 13 Feb 2017, 13:48

Penalties that relieve pressure.think we need to cut these down a bit

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 13 Feb 2017, 13:56

Scoopage wrote:Penalties that relieve pressure.think we need to cut these down a bit
Deffinatly.
We gave some silly penalties away.
Needs curbing.

Would have loved us to turn the screw that last 10mins.
All in all a 8.5/10

Andrew6666
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Andrew6666 » 13 Feb 2017, 14:01

Penalty kicking for me is abysmal, it's a good kick if we gain 10m, whereas our opponents are clearing much further. I don't agree with the safety first theory as when we are trying to relieve pressure and we gain a penalty close to our line, we must be kicking to at least start with the ball close to the half way line. We start still in our 22?!?!
I really think Gale needs to work on this, I did notice some grumbling in the stands when Gale kicked and didn't get far.

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 13 Feb 2017, 14:16

There must be posters on here who used to kick the ball and perhaps tell us more but, in my opinion kicking a ball from centre field into touch and gaining only 25-30 metres means the kicker has kicked the ball approx 50- 60 metres, and making sure it goes into stands is not a bad kick. Also the attacking kicks seem to give a good 30 metres from try line for us to execute planned moves . I do think though that on relieving kicks in our half perhaps it should go further.

Alwayscas
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Alwayscas » 13 Feb 2017, 14:24

Things could be worse ,glad folk are only commenting on our kicking to touch.
All in all, as I said in another post if the team play to the standards DP and the rest of the coaching staff have set we will not lose many games this season ( we can't do anything about the refs)
COYF

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 13 Feb 2017, 14:35

Forget about the kicking to touch it's a way to re-start the game,it hardly hampers our scoring ability does it,the players probably prefer the extra space rather than been camped on the try line where defences don't have to retreat.they also back there ability to score from anywhere on the field.believe it or not every set comes from a play book and they know at the start of every set the way we are going to play and where they want to start on the field.

Has for the completion rate 79% is pretty good take away the opening 15 minutes and that would have been far higher. The coaches and players will always look for improvement in our game but good coaches don't look at just the negatives they look at what we did good too and look to do it consistently.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 13 Feb 2017, 16:24

Kicking no one as mentioned how good Gales place kicking was , he kicked a quiet a few from the touch line, may be he could have gained a few extra yds with his penalty's to touch but on a cold wet and windy day I will settle for safety first making sure you have the ball in these conditions is paramount

Classy B
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Classy B » 13 Feb 2017, 16:27

Does anyone remember when we signed Geoff wraith, his kicking for thouch was incredible. I lost count how many times we scored, from his defensive penalty clearance kicks.

Perhaps Zak could do a similar job.

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 13 Feb 2017, 16:32

Classy B wrote:Does anyone remember when we signed Geoff wraith, his kicking for thouch was incredible. I lost count how many times we scored, from his defensive penalty clearance kicks.

Perhaps Zak could do a similar job.
Zak can't kick for toffee,couldn't at Leeds either.dont know why he attempts lol

Classy B
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Classy B » 13 Feb 2017, 16:41

Just thought, that he had no problem kicking into touch from the restart. Lol

Stoke Bloke
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Erm......Stoke surprisingly. Thats the rough bit between Manchester and Birmingham.

Post by Stoke Bloke » 13 Feb 2017, 17:03

Classy B wrote:Just thought, that he had no problem kicking into touch from the restart. Lol

That was off the kicking tee kicks to touch are out of hand which is a different technique which is why many players in both codes can kick further and importantly more accurately from a tee. Its not even about kicking strength its about body angles, weight transference, contact area etc.

Stokie
BE LOYAL BE LOUD BE CAS.

John 3:16

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 13 Feb 2017, 17:11

RU kickers generally gain far ground more from penalties kicked from hand. I can remember years ago some kicking to touch from place kicks in RL, but I'm not sure on the current rules.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 13 Feb 2017, 17:31

braytontiger wrote:Forget about the kicking to touch it's a way to re-start the game,it hardly hampers our scoring ability does it.
I disagree, and the short penalties (particularly from within our own half) have been my frustration for a couple of years now. With the amount of ground we make, we might as well just tap the ball! Often, the opposition's defensive line actually moves up after one of our penalties! Our forwards then have to gain the ground that could have been made already with a decent penalty kick, sapping their energy and leaving us further from the opposition's line come the final play.
A good, long penalty kick is a boost to the attacking team and a blow for the defending team.
Bring back Brent Sherwin - his penalties used to give the whole team (and the crowd) a lift. He could put a defending team on their own line from a penalty kick given well into our own half.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 13 Feb 2017, 17:43

braytontiger wrote:Forget about the kicking to touch it's a way to re-start the game,it hardly hampers our scoring ability does it,the players probably prefer the extra space rather than been camped on the try line where defences don't have to retreat.they also back there ability to score from anywhere on the field.believe it or not every set comes from a play book and they know at the start of every set the way we are going to play and where they want to start on the field.

Has for the completion rate 79% is pretty good take away the opening 15 minutes and that would have been far higher. The coaches and players will always look for improvement in our game but good coaches don't look at just the negatives they look at what we did good too and look to do it consistently.
Its not a plan when were on our own 25 to kick to near half way line surely ?
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 13 Feb 2017, 18:08

Yes it's all about where we want to start our sets. Half way line ideal no closer than 30 yards to the line.