Playing Style

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Mr XP
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: @nathastbury

Re: Playing Style

Post by Mr XP » 04 Dec 2016, 10:50

Zak can pass, that's not a worry, the only thing that maybe missing is joining in the attacking line near the try line, a move that produced plenty of tries last season but was so prevalent because of our left sided attack, Dorn didn't figure so much on the right side out of FB, now taking that into consideration, Zak can learn that, he is as good at running through a broken field and as a support runner, both were excellently executed by luke Dorn so I think they are on a par there, regarding the defensive qualities luke was a good communicator and organiser, Zaks experience and winning mentality from Leeds will compensate for any lack of proficiency in this department and I expect him to command and demand the same level of defensive steel from his teammates, position, strength, tackling and high ball reception are all key strengths for Zak so that's a win there, To sum up, we have lost a key playing in Dorny but I am confident that DP will coach ZH as a player and a person and we will be stronger going forward and at the back because of this.

Castleford tigers Irish supporters branch

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 04 Dec 2016, 14:45

The nice thing is, is that should we need to, we could alternate Zak with Roberts or Chase as that 3rd receiver combing round the back I suppose.

If anything, it may make us even more unpredictable, AND open up another alternative move on the back of it.

Does anyone remember when DP first implemented this move? Does anyone know of any other Hall mark moves of ours?

I'm mightily impressed how organised and accurate the coaching team are in terms of implementing and EXECUTING this move. I'd LOVE to see another dreamt up that makes use of Zak even more.

Speaking of moves, I bet right now we're heavily concentrated on defensive patterns, I hope it's being drilled into them.
Audacter Et Sincere

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 04 Dec 2016, 15:00

Bet there's a few teams out there doing defence patterns to try and a null that type of move.
Hope we have a a similar move over on the right.
Need a plan B.

Aid
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Aid » 04 Dec 2016, 15:05

old cas lass wrote:Bet there's a few teams out there doing defence patterns to try and a null that type of move.
Need a plan B.
Plan B? Give Rangi the ball!
cum on you Ford

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 04 Dec 2016, 15:07

Aid wrote:
old cas lass wrote:Bet there's a few teams out there doing defence patterns to try and a null that type of move.
Need a plan B.
Plan B? Give Rangi the ball!

One man don't make a team.
He's not superman.
Need others to perform down that right.
Maybe rangi and Roberts doing what gale and Dorn does down the left.

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 04 Dec 2016, 15:59

Luke's vision has developed over a long period and of course, it was much better last season than in any previous season, who knows how much higher we would have finished if he'd not had so many injuries. Zak won't be as injury prone and has the potential to be just as potent in attack, but more so as he will play more games, his skill set should I believe, give him the edge over Luke Dorn from day one, so I'm excited at the prospect of seeing him in a Tigers shirt and think we will be just as good in attack, with a greatly improved defence.
Danny Boy

GazD

Post by GazD » 04 Dec 2016, 21:15

I think everyone is massively understating Zak's attacking abillity and labeling him as just as an defensive fullback.
Why did he end up at Leeds in the first place. It was not because of his defence, it was because he was lightning quick and scoring long range trys for fun at Fev.

When we got him I personally thought this is our biggest signing since Graham Steadman. Lets hope he has the same success.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 05 Dec 2016, 00:11

GazD wrote:I think everyone is massively understating Zak's attacking abillity and labeling him as just as an defensive fullback.
Why did he end up at Leeds in the first place. It was not because of his defence, it was because he was lightning quick and scoring long range trys for fun at Fev.

When we got him I personally thought this is our biggest signing since Graham Steadman. Lets hope he has the same success.
Don't get me wrong, I know ZH is world class....BUT....as fans, what exciting stuff can we expect from him?
Audacter Et Sincere

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 05 Dec 2016, 00:33

Mysterio wrote:
GazD wrote:I think everyone is massively understating Zak's attacking abillity and labeling him as just as an defensive fullback.

Don't get me wrong, I know ZH is world class....BUT....as fans, what exciting stuff can we expect from him?
More than a try every 2 games?
MOS potential in a team that won the treble that year?
International quality Full back?
Best defence in the league for his position?

What more do you want?

StevieTheTV
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by StevieTheTV » 05 Dec 2016, 09:57

TT Tiger wrote:
Mysterio wrote:

More than a try every 2 games?
MOS potential in a team that won the treble that year?
International quality Full back?
Best defence in the league for his position?

What more do you want?
Exactly! People have been crying out for a world class signing for years, we finally have one (who IMHO is THE best all round full back in SL) and they still aren't happy.
Tigers for Life! Not just for SuperLeague!!

Tawera Nikau = Legend

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 05 Dec 2016, 10:01

Need a plan B.
Of course teams work on what the opposition do. But has an attacking to team you work on pulling there defence into a position that allows you to play the rugby you want.thats what good coaches do and we have one of the best. We will be absolutely fine down the right and the same moves can be used down the right has they can down the left the difference been we didn't have the personnel to do it affectively last year. Have a bit of faith in the team and enjoy the ride.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 05 Dec 2016, 13:04

braytontiger wrote:
Need a plan B.
Of course teams work on what the opposition do. But has an attacking to team you work on pulling there defence into a position that allows you to play the rugby you want.thats what good coaches do and we have one of the best. We will be absolutely fine down the right and the same moves can be used down the right has they can down the left the difference been we didn't have the personnel to do it affectively last year. Have a bit of faith in the team and enjoy the ride.
We do have one of the best. For sure.

It's always INTRUIGED me what DP discusses with DO, and what they say on the walkie talkies.

A master tactician sees things as they happen, and a game is a fluid situation. It's great to see. I'm going to watch more and more about the tactics we use next year because it's very interesting.

So...you think we have the personnel this year to do something better or different, what do you think that will be.

Just playing devils advocate on Zak : when Denny played full back, he was poor with ball in hand and not very creative at all. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but Zak is very similar to Denny in terms of putting men through gaps?

Even Jordan Tansey, to me, offered more in this regard (the move down the left hand channel)

I'd LOVE to see DP bring it out in Zak. We'd truly have the best player in the comp then! I'm SURE DP can improve him further.
Audacter Et Sincere

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 05 Dec 2016, 14:04

Mysterio wrote:
braytontiger wrote:
Need a plan B.

It's always INTRUIGED me what DP discusses with DO, and what they say on the walkie talkies.

A master tactician sees things as they happen, and a game is a fluid situation. It's great to see. I'm going to watch more and more about the tactics we use next year because it's very interesting.

So...you think we have the personnel this year to do something better or different, what do you think that will be.

Just playing devils advocate on Zak : when Denny played full back, he was poor with ball in hand and not very creative at all. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but Zak is very similar to Denny in terms of putting men through gaps?

Even Jordan Tansey, to me, offered more in this regard (the move down the left hand channel)

I'd LOVE to see DP bring it out in Zak. We'd truly have the best player in the comp then! I'm SURE DP can improve him further.
Yes we have the personnel,we had it last year but has where all aware injuries killed us,I expect our left edge will be Holmes,Shenton and Eden on the wing whilst on the right edge I can see it been mcmeekin,Webster and Monaghan that's 3 big blokes,the reason been not only do we mainly play the left edge so does every other team has passing left is the most natural way to pass a ball.difencively this is where we need to be at our best. I know it maybe a surprise to some but very few players are comfortable passing right,almost like asking a cricketer to bat left handed when they are right handed. Only really Hookers and naturally gifted players can pass both ways without Finding it uncomfortable.

Back to the team and I expect junior moors and Zak hardaker to be given free roles to work both sides of the pitch,this is where we saw junior at his best last year when we just allowed him to play. The main point this year is we have options all over the field and anyone not performing will be soon be sat in the stands so this will drive the standards forward.

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 05 Dec 2016, 14:09

braytontiger wrote:
Mysterio wrote:
braytontiger wrote:
Need a plan B.

Yes we have the personnel,we had it last year but has where all aware injuries killed us,I expect our left edge will be Holmes,Shenton and Eden on the wing whilst on the right edge I can see it been mcmeekin,Webster and Monaghan that's 3 big blokes,the reason been not only do we mainly play the left edge so does every other team has passing left is the most natural way to pass a ball.in defence this is where we need to be at our best. I know it maybe a surprise to some but very few players are comfortable passing right,almost like asking a cricketer to bat left handed when they are right handed. Only really Hookers and naturally gifted players can pass both ways without Finding it uncomfortable.

Back to the team and I expect junior moors and Zak hardaker to be given free roles to work both sides of the pitch,this is where we saw junior at his best last year when we just allowed him to play. The main point this year is we have options all over the field and anyone not performing will be soon be sat in the stands so this will drive the standards forward.