Powell's Jigsaw

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Powell's Jigsaw

Post by Mysterio » 20 Oct 2016, 16:22

No doubt when DP arrived, he knew the brand of Rugby his team would play, and he knew the type of Player (and Person) skills and qualities.

He's rebuilt the club, and along with Steve Gill and the current BOD has nurtured the kind of culture seen at the very best of Rugby League clubs.

The questions are;

Does he see Zak Hardaker as the final piece of the jigsaw playing squad wise in terms of the skillset he has at his disposal?

Which other qualities do people think we need at the club, both off field and on field?

When do you think we'll have an entire squad that DP believes is to the very highest of standard he wants? Next year or down the line?

Judging by his recent interview on cas website, I think he too joins us all in being able to sense a period of top level success at the club.

The pity is; all other teams have strengthened too. Warrington in particular.
Audacter Et Sincere

Bengal
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Powell's Jigsaw

Post by Bengal » 20 Oct 2016, 17:06

I hope we really go for it next season, Mysterio. If so I think we have a realistic chance of going all the way next year, as a great opportunity has landed at our feet. However I do think we need a couple of more proven quality players for the squad.

In the P&C today, the club has named a 31 man squad which becomes 32 when you add JSL. That sounds more than sizeable, however it is misleading a little. Included in it are the two players going out on loan for a year, and untried youngsters in the form of Douglas, Fitzsimmons, Gill, O'Neill and even Robson. Plus the two new young recruits from London and Oxford, who let's be fair have never played anywhere near SL level.

I have no problem with any of them and they could all eventually become SL standard, but I would add that if they do, it will probably be a season at the very least, or more likely two before they do.

If you take them nine out, you are left with a squad of 23 and that includes Monaghan and Hitchcox and God only knows what's happening with those two. The new elongated 30 game regular season now demands you need a larger than normal squad, so I would definitely argue we need another two players who are proven at SL level and can immediately fit right in at it. Get them and we will have a great chance.
So I said to the Taxi driver, "King Edwards Close". He replied "It's alright we'll lose him at the next set of lights".

"If you listen to the fans, you end up sitting with them" - Wayne Bennett

SFOtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SFOtiger » 20 Oct 2016, 17:10

I think a coach like Powell will always want better players and be looking to improve the squad. Unless we get Thurston etc down the lane.

However, I think he (and Steve Gill) are also realists and know they need to operate within a budget, and stick to it. Powell gets the best out of every player, and that to me is the most satisfying thing. I hope he can be Cas' Alex Ferguson.

Shameless
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Shameless » 20 Oct 2016, 18:10

The club may well be keeping a bit of money and Salary Cap space back to react to injuries. They did well this year to bring in the loanees when we needed them.

Bengal
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bengal » 20 Oct 2016, 18:42

Shameless wrote:The club may well be keeping a bit of money and Salary Cap space back to react to injuries. They did well this year to bring in the loanees when we needed them.
I have heard just exactly that Shameless, from a very reliable source only 10 to 15minutes ago. We've got another signing to come (I didn't ask, so I don't know), and money put aside in case we need someone during the season, to cover for specific positions where injury has set in. We did this of course season just gone, with Patrick (loan initially) Tickle and Flynn.
So I said to the Taxi driver, "King Edwards Close". He replied "It's alright we'll lose him at the next set of lights".

"If you listen to the fans, you end up sitting with them" - Wayne Bennett