Another Announcement Today at Noon

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
dude
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Another Announcement Today at Noon

Post by dude » 18 Oct 2016, 15:41

Fryston Tiger wrote:
dude wrote:We finished 12 points behind warrington in the table and we lost one of our better players so upto now we are weaker than last season and id say warrington have signed 3 players who are all going to improve there squad in savellio cooper and crosby. I understand we had injurys but so did warrington and wigan. We need to sign players who will make our starting team better if we are ever going to close the gap on the top teams
Warrington n Wigan have bigger resources. Where's the money to sign these top players? We aren't doing too bad while working within our budget. Unfortunately, at the moment, we still have to look at players that are not maybe big names but have been highlighted as likely to make big improvements in our environment. Anyway, I'm off to bang me head against a wall....
Me 2. Mariano jewitt dorn savellio flynn hampshire have left. Wr have signed eden and 3 young lads surely thats more money out than has come in. Most people dont want big signings just players who can get into the 1st team and improve us straight away. Leigh salford wakefield have all signed players who will improve there starting team

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 18 Oct 2016, 15:55

dude wrote:
Fryston Tiger wrote:
dude wrote:We finished 12 points behind warrington in the table and we lost one of our better players so upto now we are weaker than last season and id say warrington have signed 3 players who are all going to improve there squad in savellio cooper and crosby. I understand we had injurys but so did warrington and wigan. We need to sign players who will make our starting team better if we are ever going to close the gap on the top teams
Warrington n Wigan have bigger resources. Where's the money to sign these top players? We aren't doing too bad while working within our budget. Unfortunately, at the moment, we still have to look at players that are not maybe big names but have been highlighted as likely to make big improvements in our environment. Anyway, I'm off to bang me head against a wall....
Me 2. Mariano jewitt dorn savellio flynn hampshire have left. Wr have signed eden and 3 young lads surely thats more money out than has come in. Most people dont want big signings just players who can get into the 1st team and improve us straight away. Leigh salford wakefield have all signed players who will improve there starting team
So all the new contracts we've given in the past 6 month have been at the same salary has there previous contracts? Of course not,it's a balancing act when you haven't got a bottomless pit of money. Judge the squad once the signings are complete. It won't be much longer to wait and even then we will hold some back has in previous seasons we may just require to bring in a player or two during the season.

I feel sorry for the two young lads coming up from London,nowt like judging a book by its cover. Hope they are made more welcome once they arrive given the negative comments by some folk.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 18 Oct 2016, 15:56

I agree we need to make a signing to go straight into first team now ..same time after seeing what happened with minikin in a short space of time not suprised a couple more projects have arrived for powell and orr to work with
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 18 Oct 2016, 16:03

We have already done our best business - tying Gale to a long-term contract.
If we can keep all our existing players and add Hardaker I'd be confident going into next season.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 18 Oct 2016, 16:05

Fryston Tiger wrote:It's not run-of-the-mill to those new lads. Can't see what Cas have done so wrong myself...they've used social media to announce new signings...it's only underwhelming to few on here who expect Greg Inglis to come walking Darnt' Lane!
THERE'S NOTHING WRONG IN LETTING FOLK KNOW WE'VE SIGNED SOMEONE - ANYONE. THERE'S JUST NO NEED TO WARN ME WE'RE ABOUT TO ANNOUNCE THE SIGNING - TELL ME WHEN IT'S DONE!
Spreading the Cas gene pool

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 18 Oct 2016, 16:10

Saving the best till last here

Igodo
Igbinedion
JSL
Hardaker
S Burgess

Id be fairly happy with this
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

dude
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by dude » 18 Oct 2016, 16:24

We have a good squad now. We just needed 1 or 2 signings to take us to the next level. I hope we sign at least one and dont let this chance to do something special pass us by

matt_casfan
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by matt_casfan » 18 Oct 2016, 17:19

dude wrote:
Fryston Tiger wrote:
All the players you've just named - bar dorn - are not first team players. They were squad players, the money left on the cap as a result of them leaving is hardly going to buy players to improve our first 13/17. So if thats all fans want they like you will be left disappointed on the whole...

Fryston Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Fryston Tiger » 18 Oct 2016, 17:34

Flat Capper wrote:
Fryston Tiger wrote:It's not run-of-the-mill to those new lads. Can't see what Cas have done so wrong myself...they've used social media to announce new signings...it's only underwhelming to few on here who expect Greg Inglis to come walking Darnt' Lane!
THERE'S NOTHING WRONG IN LETTING FOLK KNOW WE'VE SIGNED SOMEONE - ANYONE. THERE'S JUST NO NEED TO WARN ME WE'RE ABOUT TO ANNOUNCE THE SIGNING - TELL ME WHEN IT'S DONE!
BANGBANGBANGBANG....this wall is taking a hammering.
Don't think the Club see it as a warning...more a way of letting people know something is happening in the near future. Get a grip!

da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 18 Oct 2016, 17:43

I'm sure people are forgetting we have added Chase and Patrick to the squad too...
players like Holmes and Milner are no longer juniors but established pro's, some players don't reach that many first grade appearances in their career nevermind by the age of 22/23.
Yes we have a young squad but one that is gaining experience year on year, we have extended deals of our 'senior' pro's which will have included pay rises, so to do that means we need to spend within our means on further recruits that will enhance the squad, not always the first team but also not be quick fixes and for them to be players that join Our Club and Our Culture that DP is developing.

Long live the Tigers!!!

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 18 Oct 2016, 17:58

da_jimbob_7 wrote:I'm sure people are forgetting we have added Chase and Patrick to the squad too...
players like Holmes and Milner are no longer juniors but established pro's, some players don't reach that many first grade appearances in their career nevermind by the age of 22/23.
Yes we have a young squad but one that is gaining experience year on year, we have extended deals of our 'senior' pro's which will have included pay rises, so to do that means we need to spend within our means on further recruits that will enhance the squad, not always the first team but also not be quick fixes and for them to be players that join Our Club and Our Culture that DP is developing.
Maybe so but I still feel we need to sign better more established players if we really are to keep pushing on to be a top team we may have done this already who knows but just look at wires signings today Crosby and savellio I'd have loved them as our own top players already!

Dez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dez » 18 Oct 2016, 18:05

I still think the zac to cas deal will happen and maybe we should forget the big aussie forward as it would have been sorted by know . What we should all remember is the club is building a infacstuctre that will allow us to not only compete with the big clubs but also sustain the highest level. We dont want a Salford or even Huddersfield where we buy big names but have no substance to the club what we want is a conveyer belt off talent that gives us trophy after trophy. If the club believe in the player's it brings in then we as supporters should support the club so if and when any player leaves the club the next one will fill his shoes. Successful clubs are not bought there built.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 18 Oct 2016, 18:07

You can't name Flynn and Savelio as people to replace. They were only temporary players and only came in due to a debilitating injury crisis.

Ditto Patrick and Chase but they have been made permanent. In essence, Chase is the replacement for Dorn as Roberts will be FB on the current squad.

Patrick replaces Jewitt. Eden adds extra depth to wing and FB. Then JSL will replace one of Mariano/Boyle.

People also need to understand how contracts work in rugby league. Cap space can be quickly taken from other areas.

Staggered Contracts

A lot of clubs do staggering of contracts. This is with the aim of averaging out over time but also agents do it to get a bigger cut over each year too.

So let's take an example of say Gale. He could be on 80k on year 1, 100k year 2 and 115k year 3.

If you have 3 or 4 players on staggered contracts. This can quickly take 40-80k out the budget in year 2 and then another 50k in year 3.

Contract Renewals

Again, contract renewals mean increasing wage bills. Someone like Douglas will be offered a bit more dosh, Gale will probably have had a wage boost. These don't come for free.

So if we lose 5 players, let's say freeing up 300k. If you take out 80k for staggered contracts and 80k for upgrades that leaves 140k

If you want a world class player that is going to take up the majority of that. Assuming Chase and Patrick have got top ups on the deal last season that's another 20k let's say. Then if you take out Eden's salary. You are left with around 60k.

So we have got JSL, Igbinedion and Ugodo for that cash plus whatever we have saved from people like Webster who may have seen contracts offer go down at this stage of the career and his market value go down.

We usually keep some contingency cap free. That is useful as proven lat season when we desperately needed some new players.

Think some fans need some understanding of contracts, a bit of realism an perspective.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

lidds
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by lidds » 18 Oct 2016, 18:47

HuddsTigers wrote:You can't name Flynn and Savelio as people to replace. They were only temporary players and only came in due to a debilitating injury crisis.

Ditto Patrick and Chase but they have been made permanent. In essence, Chase is the replacement for Dorn as Roberts will be FB on the current squad.

Patrick replaces Jewitt. Eden adds extra depth to wing and FB. Then JSL will replace one of Mariano/Boyle.

People also need to understand how contracts work in rugby league. Cap space can be quickly taken from other areas.

Staggered Contracts

A lot of clubs do staggering of contracts. This is with the aim of averaging out over time but also agents do it to get a bigger cut over each year too.

So let's take an example of say Gale. He could be on 80k on year 1, 100k year 2 and 115k year 3.

If you have 3 or 4 players on staggered contracts. This can quickly take 40-80k out the budget in year 2 and then another 50k in year 3.

Contract Renewals

Again, contract renewals mean increasing wage bills. Someone like Douglas will be offered a bit more dosh, Gale will probably have had a wage boost. These don't come for free.

So if we lose 5 players, let's say freeing up 300k. If you take out 80k for staggered contracts and 80k for upgrades that leaves 140k

If you want a world class player that is going to take up the majority of that. Assuming Chase and Patrick have got top ups on the deal last season that's another 20k let's say. Then if you take out Eden's salary. You are left with around 60k.

So we have got JSL, Igbinedion and Ugodo for that cash plus whatever we have saved from people like Webster who may have seen contracts offer go down at this stage of the career and his market value go down.

We usually keep some contingency cap free. That is useful as proven lat season when we desperately needed some new players.

Think some fans need some understanding of contracts, a bit of realism an perspective.
Great post, think people sometimes forget that with contract renewals, there will usually be a pay increase.
For me me we have already done our most important business of the year and that's getting gale tied up. I think that with another preseason under the belts of lads like springer, Meeks, Minikin plus having a much fitter Chase we will be a real force next year. (Same can be said for Mcshane and Larne who will likely improve under full preseason under powell)
Not to forget our international captain will be back and ready to go. Plus ash who were writes offs for all of last season.

However cant deny the huge hole dorn will leave, watching the clips of dennys try shows just how important he was in attack

I would still like to see us sign another prop / utility forward, as Lynchy isn't getting any younger, and we have lost a couple.

Edit: one more point. Gale, Benny, Chase, I don't know its going to work but cant wait to see how it does !!

Bengal
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bengal » 18 Oct 2016, 19:06

I've no idea what these new young signings are like as I've never seen them play, but its definitely one way for the club to go and I've no problem with it. Take a punt on raw talent, bearing in mind that any proven young junior whizz kids can be as hard to obtain as a senior one, due to the inevitable interest from many other clubs. However lets give the two new lads, plus the youngster from Keighley time, and not start judging them after their first games. Remember Gadwin, in his first game and those straight after. To be honest at times he looked like a fish out of water, but look at him now. These types for the future won't initially exactly cost us an arm and a leg and I would much rather sign them than journeymen, run of the millers, and those merely coming for one last pay date, all of which can cost you.

However we need some balance and I believe the club now need three new signings of provable quality, who can hit the ground running. Not world beaters, just provable quality. I have looked at all the SL teams squads and where they will somewhere be next season, and I can honestly say that with everyone or near to everyone fully recovered, that we are not only an outstanding bet to get top 4, but that our club could find itself in the unprecedented position in the SL era of having an excellent chance of actually winning the whole damn thing. Seriously, but this to me goes with an if, and that's if we sign 2 or 3 provable quality players, not world beaters just quality, salary cap permitting. The new long 30 game regular season, demands a big squad, and we are a tad short at present. Do this and we are going to be in with a real shout. I too would would have liked us to sign Savelio but alas it was not possible and I suppose once his hometown club came for him, there was little chance. But get two other such quality types where needed, to go with I understand Sene-Lafoa. (if that is correct) then I'm telling you we are going to take some stopping. This is no time to experiment with journeymen, Joe Ordinary's, crocks and might be's. We have a superb chance and don't want to let it pass us by.
So I said to the Taxi driver, "King Edwards Close". He replied "It's alright we'll lose him at the next set of lights".

"If you listen to the fans, you end up sitting with them" - Wayne Bennett

chief193
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by chief193 » 18 Oct 2016, 20:04

Bengal wrote:I've no idea what these new young signings are like as I've never seen them play, but its definitely one way for the club to go and I've no problem with it. Take a punt on raw talent, bearing in mind that any proven young junior whizz kids can be as hard to obtain as a senior one, due to the inevitable interest from many other clubs. However lets give the two new lads, plus the youngster from Keighley time, and not start judging them after their first games. Remember Gadwin, in his first game and those straight after. To be honest at times he looked like a fish out of water, but look at him now. These types for the future won't initially exactly cost us an arm and a leg and I would much rather sign them than journeymen, run of the millers, and those merely coming for one last pay date, all of which can cost you.

However we need some balance and I believe the club now need three new signings of provable quality, who can hit the ground running. Not world beaters, just provable quality. I have looked at all the SL teams squads and where they will somewhere be next season, and I can honestly say that with everyone or near to everyone fully recovered, that we are not only an outstanding bet to get top 4, but that our club could find itself in the unprecedented position in the SL era of having an excellent chance of actually winning the whole damn thing. Seriously, but this to me goes with an if, and that's if we sign 2 or 3 provable quality players, not world beaters just quality, salary cap permitting. The new long 30 game regular season, demands a big squad, and we are a tad short at present. Do this and we are going to be in with a real shout. I too would would have liked us to sign Savelio but alas it was not possible and I suppose once his hometown club came for him, there was little chance. But get two other such quality types where needed, to go with I understand Sene-Lafoa. (if that is correct) then I'm telling you we are going to take some stopping. This is no time to experiment with journeymen, Joe Ordinary's, crocks and might be's. We have a superb chance and don't want to let it pass us by.
Spot on Bengal, we are at a crucial point. We have gone through a period of improvement and also one of stabilising, it is now the time to push on. If we don't we will start to lose players to other clubs and it will start to decline, we've been at this junction before and made bad choices. Let's hope we go the right way this time.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 18 Oct 2016, 20:08

Some great posts above.

Just another point. Due to the season we have just had with injuries some players who might have been looking at getting half a dozen games ended up playing 15+ games for us. EG - Greg Minnikin.

Our coaching team will now have had to "factor-in" their success in 2016 to give them more game time next year.

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 18 Oct 2016, 21:18

The new signing I'm looking forward to most next year is the international standard centre we will have. Shenton will be like a top new signing I'm sure.