can anyone help to settle an argument

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Re: can anyone help to settle an argument

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 19 Nov 2016, 11:25

I'm loving all these stories and tales, the fella that got me into Cas passed away last year but these were the things he spoke about when in the pub with him. I've read each and everyone with his voice telling me the tale. Can't wait to reminisce in years to come about the 94, 99 and hopefully this generation of players.

Long live the Tigers!!!

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 19 Nov 2016, 11:47

da_jimbob_7 wrote:I'm loving all these stories and tales, the fella that got me into Cas passed away last year but these were the things he spoke about when in the pub with him. I've read each and everyone with his voice telling me the tale. Can't wait to reminisce in years to come about the 94, 99 and hopefully this generation of players.
As thinking about the '94 team the other day. It wasn't a team full of super stars (though it had a few) but I wouldn't call Smales, Russel, Morrison, Anderson, Middleton or even man of the match Ketteridge superstars all very good but not superstars. But what a job they did

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 19 Nov 2016, 12:17

The stories of the 1967 reply make me chuckle :) . My mum & dad were two of many who snuck in threw the fence!, i cheekily remind my mum of her exploits as a law breaker!, she said there was no way my late dad wasn't going to get in to watch the game. The town was gripped at the sight of a dynasty being built...much like some are feeling now.

The crowd was astonishing given the day and kick off time. Think the ground record is 25K in 1935?. If everybody had been counted on that day in 1967 that record would have gone!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 19 Nov 2016, 12:24

I was at back of princess street stand could see about a quater of field when play came down to wheldon road end lol
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

heppy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by heppy » 19 Nov 2016, 14:13

Old memories, Heppy thumping Chisnall after a late tackle then being chased half the length of the field before hiding behind Bill Bryant.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 19 Nov 2016, 14:54

here we go once again down memory lane, it was not heard of to play any sport on Sunday, the first CAS match I ever watched on a Sunday was when we played Huddersfield at Fartown you could not pay an entrance fee due to :Lords observant day, instead the entrance fee was paid by you having to buy a program , any of you old fans got the year ???

sparky49
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by sparky49 » 20 Nov 2016, 00:55

here we go once again down memory lane, it was not heard of to play any sport on Sunday, the first CAS match I ever watched on a Sunday was when we played Huddersfield at Fartown you could not pay an entrance fee due to :Lords observant day, instead the entrance fee was paid by you having to buy a program , any of you old fans got the year ???

Castlefords first Sunday game was 29th September 1968 at Odsal we beat Bradford 16-15 in the semi-final of the Yorkshire Cup then lost to Leeds in the final. Our first Sunday game at Fartown was 23rd January 1971 and we lost 5-9, this could be the one you attended.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 20 Nov 2016, 09:09

I stand corrected Sparky thanks, as I have no reference books I don't think its too bad being able to cast my mind back 46 years, now ask me what I had for my dinner yesterday, I would have to ask the wife

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 20 Nov 2016, 10:49

sparky49 wrote:here we go once again down memory lane, it was not heard of to play any sport on Sunday, the first CAS match I ever watched on a Sunday was when we played Huddersfield at Fartown you could not pay an entrance fee due to :Lords observant day, instead the entrance fee was paid by you having to buy a program , any of you old fans got the year ???

Castlefords first Sunday game was 29th September 1968 at Odsal we beat Bradford 16-15 in the semi-final of the Yorkshire Cup then lost to Leeds in the final. Our first Sunday game at Fartown was 23rd January 1971 and we lost 5-9, this could be the one you attended.
How times have changed, almost all games were played on Saturday afternoon back then, unless it was a replay or a postponed game being fitted in.

I think the RFL made the ground breaking decision when it was decided Sunday would be the day rugby league was played, this was I believe mainly as attendances on Saturday were on the slide and the RFL in their wisdom, went for Sunday, with not much else in the way of competition on Sunday, as of course shops were not allowed to open on a Sunday back then.

I can't remember what year we decided to play our home games on Friday night, although I know it was very popular with some supporters, but personally, I've always preferred games on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.
Unfortunately, these days we are dictated to by Sky and as everyone knows, our games can be moved to any day (or night) of the week.

I remember our floodlights being installed back in the mid 60's, I think the official switching on was a Yorkshire v New Zealand game, we dominated the BBC2 Floodlit Trophy, which was played on Tuesday nights, we won that for the first 3 years it was held and really were "Classy Cas" back then, as the RFL first experimented with the limited tackle rule.

At first it was 4 tackles and we were simply the best under that rule, it was then decided to increase this to 6 tackles (maybe because we were so much better than the others under the 4 tackle rule), but seriously, moving from unlimited tackled certainly seemed to suit Classy Cas and Tuesday nights under the floodlights brought out the best in our lads.
Danny Boy

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 20 Nov 2016, 11:11

today we hear about player burn out, in the old days we had the floodlight cup John player cup the Yorkshire cup Lancashire v Yorkshire war of the roses touring sides more teams in the league, all the players had a full time job , no one seemed to mention too many matches in a season, every time I hear Jamie Peacock harp on about it I think back when rugby league was a part time sport

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 21 Nov 2016, 06:47

Clubs who have seized to exist or moved on so losing there iconic clubs addresses , Central park= Wigan Watersheddings = Oldham Thrum hall=Halifax Far town = Huddersfield Barley Mo = Bramley Knowsley Rd= St Helens Clarence St=York I suppose some of you will no more, Just a thought but I think it would be nice to name the road into the stadium the NEW WELDON RD

Le Van
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Le Van » 21 Nov 2016, 07:45

gateman wrote:........I think it would be nice to name the road into the stadium the NEW WELDON RD
Nice thought but nowadays it's inevitably going to incorporate a sponsors name but what about the actual stadium being called ' The Lane '

Commercially it would be called in the media ' So and So at The Lane '

But to us we'll always be going Down the Lane

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 21 Nov 2016, 11:35

Le Van wrote:
gateman wrote:........I think it would be nice to name the road into the stadium the NEW WELDON RD
Nice thought but nowadays it's inevitably going to incorporate a sponsors name but what about the actual stadium being called ' The Lane '

Thought the street names had already been decided
And they were to be Jack Fulton Way and Weldon Lane? Could be wrong it has benn known.

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 21 Nov 2016, 12:12

TT Tiger wrote:
Le Van wrote:

Thought the street names had already been decided
And they were to be Jack Fulton Way and Weldon Lane? Could be wrong it has benn known.
No matter what the new Stadium is called or the approach roads to the ground. I personally will miss walking back up WHELDON ROAD with all the Home supporters laughing and joking and feeling 10 feet tall when we have beaten the likes of Leeds, Wigan, and uncle Tom Cobbly and all, that's what I will miss.
Wish we could have had a money man to develop the old girl, but sentiment shouldn't stop progress, and that extra 10 metres will keep them Sky pundits quiet.

cvtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cvtiger » 21 Nov 2016, 13:10

fast hands wrote: and that extra 10 metres will keep them Sky pundits quiet.
there was a number in the crowd at Anfield yesterday commenting on our missing ten metres too...
‘What words of wisdom will Dennis share this time...?'

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 21 Nov 2016, 13:52

I've watched Cas since 1958 and managed 56 years without any adverse references to the size of the pitch. I wonder how Denny will manage running the extra 10m at Sale?

Freeloader
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Freeloader » 21 Nov 2016, 16:30

Danny Boy wrote:At first it was 4 tackles and we were simply the best under that rule, it was then decided to increase this to 6 tackles (maybe because we were so much better than the others under the 4 tackle rule)
You were tongue in cheek, I know..... but disastrously :oops: ....
Leeds won the League leaders title 5 times, Championship twice, Yorkshire Cup 3 times, the Challenge Cup and the Floodlit trophy during the 4 tackle period from 1966-1972.

However, there's a case to say they did part of it with our coach and 3 of our best players :roll:

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 21 Nov 2016, 23:33

Freeloader wrote:
Danny Boy wrote:At first it was 4 tackles and we were simply the best under that rule, it was then decided to increase this to 6 tackles (maybe because we were so much better than the others under the 4 tackle rule)
You were tongue in cheek, I know..... but disastrously :oops: ....
Leeds won the League leaders title 5 times, Championship twice, Yorkshire Cup 3 times, the Challenge Cup and the Floodlit trophy during the 4 tackle period from 1966-1972.

However, there's a case to say they did part of it with our coach and 3 of our best players :roll:
Not at al Freeloader, we were brilliant whilst the 4 tackle rule was in force, I'm afraid my memory doesn't really extend to the Whinos, I just remember how good we were back then and seemingly better than the rest. We did manage 2 challenge cup final wins, 3 floodlit trophies and had the France v GB game in 67 not taken our 3 best players out, who know what else we would have won.
Danny Boy

Freeloader
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Freeloader » 22 Nov 2016, 20:19

Danny Boy wrote: Not at al Freeloader, we were brilliant whilst the 4 tackle rule was in force, I'm afraid my memory doesn't really extend to the Whinos, I just remember how good we were back then and seemingly better than the rest. We did manage 2 challenge cup final wins, 3 floodlit trophies and had the France v GB game in 67 not taken our 3 best players out, who know what else we would have won.
Minutes away from the Championship title too....

Loiner conspiracy theorists might say the reason to increase the tackles from 4 to 6 in 1972 might to be stop them winning the title for the next 31 years :-({|=

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 23 Nov 2016, 16:11

tigerfeat wrote:If i remember rightly not everybody had b.b.c 2 when the floodlight trophy started enyway i think thats why i can recall us having to go to someones house over the street to watch it on those winter nights
not many had bbc 2 when the floodlit started but the honky tonk pub had it. 3 of us decided to watch it in there but on arrival it was so full they wouldn't let any more in. we ended up standing on the outside wall looking through the window at the small telly.
jo brand is eddie warings love child