can anyone help to settle an argument

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

can anyone help to settle an argument

Post by gateman » 11 Oct 2016, 08:56

as a fan in my early teens, I am think I can remember, standing in the open on sleepers and ashes at Weldon RD end, can anyone enlighten me what year the Weldon Rd end and princess St stands were concreted and covered ?? we were having a discussion in the club we come up with lots of different years, my thoughts were the early 60s

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: can anyone help to settle an argument

Post by fast hands » 11 Oct 2016, 10:07

Can't help with the year stands were covered, but in 1967 I used to stand in the Princess road stand with my mates on Friday night games and it was covered then.
I also remember the spikes on top of railings at Wheldon Road end because I ripped my trousers climbing over to get autographs that was about 1961, no cover on then.

Maverick1

Post by Maverick1 » 11 Oct 2016, 11:09

Wasn't it after a 1960s cup replay with Hull KR? So many wanting to get in that the fencing at that end was pulled down.

Jazzman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jazzman » 12 Oct 2016, 12:33

Maverick1 wrote:Wasn't it after a 1960s cup replay with Hull KR? So many wanting to get in that the fencing at that end was pulled down.
That sounds about right. There was always a small stand at Princess Street side but it was extended to both ends, I think the WRE stand came a little bit later but might be wrong. And I bunked of school to go to the game. Tuesday afternoon if I remember.

greenhouse
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by greenhouse » 12 Oct 2016, 14:42

wasn't 1967 when we played hkr in the replay. the wheldon road end was uncovered the but the princess street stand had been extended by then but can't remenber how long before. i remember there were turnstyles to get into the princess street stand at the ends before it was extended. abit ot but it makes a mockery of our present capacity when you think back to that replay.

Maverick1

Post by Maverick1 » 15 Nov 2016, 19:59

1st March 1967 perimeter fencing broken down, Cas beat Hull KR 13-6 in 2nd round cup replay. Attendance 22,582, believed 8000 more were in the ground.
Before the start of the 1970-71 season - "With extra income from two consecutive Cup Finals, ground improvements were made including covered accommodation and drainage to the pitch" from Castleford RLFC A Sixty Years History 1926-1986 Len Garbett

Bengal
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bengal » 16 Nov 2016, 00:16

Maverick1 wrote:1st March 1967 perimeter fencing broken down, Cas beat Hull KR 13-6 in 2nd round cup replay. Attendance 22,582, believed 8000 more were in the ground.
Before the start of the 1970-71 season - "With extra income from two consecutive Cup Finals, ground improvements were made including covered accommodation and drainage to the pitch" from Castleford RLFC A Sixty Years History 1926-1986 Len Garbett
Len's book was superb, but I don't know what covered accommodation he is talking about, but I would have to take issue with him if he meant the Wheldon Road end. I can remember going to the Challenge Cup 3rd round game v Leeds in March 1969 and that stand was definitely already there. I am pretty certain what Len was meaning, was the main seating stand cover was extended. The bottom of the stand was a standing paddock (now seating) and fans there used to get wet, so they extended it to ensure cover for them also.

I wouldn't want to get into an argument with ''greenhouse'' far from it, but I too went to the HKR replay in 1967, and I always seemed to recollect the Wheldon Road stand being there, although I would definitely not argue the fact vigorously. I was always fairly confident that this stand was built somewhere between 1966 and 67 but I could well be wrong. It was definitely built though before the first of our Wembley finals, no danger of that. In fact I've got a picture somewhere of the 69 Wembley team with the Wheldon Road stand in the background.

From Lens book I found the date of my first ever game, December 1962 v Fev. The Princess Street stand was definitely there and so obviously I never saw a game when it was not there. Outside that I have no idea when it was built.

On further recollection ''greenhouse'' may well be right about the 1967 HKR clash, but I would still put my house on it being built before the start of the 1967-68 season
So I said to the Taxi driver, "King Edwards Close". He replied "It's alright we'll lose him at the next set of lights".

"If you listen to the fans, you end up sitting with them" - Wayne Bennett

43s flyer
League One Player
League One Player

Post by 43s flyer » 16 Nov 2016, 01:45

I started going to cas matches in the late 1950s, and seem to remember the Wheldon road end was a wooden stand and the railway end sleepers with shale infill. But I could be mistaken as I enjoyed myself in the 60s and early 70s. :!: :roll:

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 16 Nov 2016, 08:09

the above is my recollection I started watching CAS in late 50s after going to Feath and Wakefield looking for a club to support, I am sure I stood on sleepers at the Weldon Road End

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 16 Nov 2016, 11:11

I think Len is talking about the Princess street stand being extended at both ends, not the Wheldon Road end. That cup replay was the catalyst for that stand. I too bunked off school for that game. I was surprised to meet my mates under the sticks at the railway end at kick off, they told me that Cas supporters at King's school were allowed out after lunch, which was astounding in those days. I had feigned sickness and then been grassed on, so I got into trouble next day. I also bunked for the Australia game in 68, which was fogged off on Wednesday night and played on the next afternoon.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 16 Nov 2016, 14:42

can any one remember us beating an Australian touring side at Weldon RD a player called Smith a tall black haired centre/winger I think we signed from Feath scored an interception try to give us the game if my recollection serves me right

heppy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by heppy » 16 Nov 2016, 14:54

In 1967 the bottom half of the Railwayend was concrete and the top 5 or six rows sleepers..

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 16 Nov 2016, 15:14

gateman wrote:can any one remember us beating an Australian touring side at Weldon RD a player called Smith a tall black haired centre/winger I think we signed from Feath scored an interception try to give us the game if my recollection serves me right
Frank Smith scored the try - what great win that was, I think we beat them 13-12, I seem to remember we were let out of school early in the afternoon to be able to watch the game.
If only we could return to the days of the Aussies & New Zealander's touring again.
Danny Boy

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 16 Nov 2016, 16:01

great memories taking on the touring sides thanks for reminding me of smiths name being Frank, another memory I have , we had a bad and long winter to get a match on I think it might have been Wigan in the cup we had coal fired braziers at intervals all over the pitch, I don't think the grounds men of today would have allowed that

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 16 Nov 2016, 16:01

heppy wrote:In 1967 the bottom half of the Railwayend was concrete and the top 5 or six rows sleepers..
i started going to games in the early fifties and thats exactly as i remember it.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 16 Nov 2016, 16:05

gateman wrote:great memories taking on the touring sides thanks for reminding me of smiths name being Frank, another memory I have , we had a bad and long winter to get a match on I think it might have been Wigan in the cup we had coal fired braziers at intervals all over the pitch, I don't think the grounds men of today would have allowed that
it was leeds and it was on tv. lewis jones scored a real fluke of a try to beat us and was hit by several snowballs as he touched down. i think it was the first game to be played for months but it ruined the pitch.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 16 Nov 2016, 16:36

i can see those braziers know, your memory might be better than mine I thought it was Wigan but it was so long ago you will most likely be right

Dez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dez » 16 Nov 2016, 18:20

I remember the day of the match it was freezing and everyone who helped clear the pitch got a voucher for free entry ime sure hardisty scored at the railway end

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 16 Nov 2016, 18:34

nice to see that there are some old timers like myself who can roll back the years with memories of our Castleford, another match I can see in my mind, we were playing Halifax at Thrum hall at that period CAS were bumping along at the bottom of the league Halifax high flyers there was about 3 inch of snow on the ground near the end of the match Halifax kicked to clear their line Albert Lunn picked the ball up beat 3 or 4 players to touch down and give us the victory, one happy Van full of CAS supporters going back to Normanton

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 16 Nov 2016, 18:40

lurcher wrote:
gateman wrote:great memories taking on the touring sides thanks for reminding me of smiths name being Frank, another memory I have , we had a bad and long winter to get a match on I think it might have been Wigan in the cup we had coal fired braziers at intervals all over the pitch, I don't think the grounds men of today would have allowed that
it was leeds and it was on tv. lewis jones scored a real fluke of a try to beat us and was hit by several snowballs as he touched down. i think it was the first game to be played for months but it ruined the pitch.
yes i was there that day & i seem to remember lewis jones put a kick through which rebounded off albert lunn straight back into his arms giving lewis a walk in try. the snow piled up at the ends / the straw & the braziers, what memories.