Salary cap

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Evatiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Salary cap

Post by Evatiger » 29 Aug 2016, 15:38

Just having a beer thinking about where we are as a club and the salary cap.do you think our stance on the salary cap should change?obviously we've always been a team without much money and voted for the salary cap and for it not to be increased but now we've become more self sufficient and the squad we are building do you think we as a club should push for this to be increased?like I've said in a previous post it must be a nightmare balancing Cas Tigers salary cap as we now have around 20/22 really good players who could slot into the 1st team seamlessly.with the salary cap paid for by sky a new stadium on the orizon I think we could easily manage say a £2.5million cap.whats your thoughts guys

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Salary cap

Post by Sharlotiger » 29 Aug 2016, 15:55

First thing we should put our new found wealth in should be a second team to give our squad players and up and coming youngsters somewhere to play on a regular basis. All the forward thinking teams have done so now is the time to follow them.
On the cap with SKY paying it in full it seems right to increase it maybe to £2 million as sides look like they need bigger squads to cope with the extra games we are now playing and the ever increasing injuries most sides are enduring.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 29 Aug 2016, 17:59

as far as spending money goes , we should all leave it to the people who hold the purse strings they now how much we can afford with out going into debt, the club is better run now than all the sixty year plus I have been coming down the lane , i

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 29 Aug 2016, 18:31

I agree with Gateman to a degree but no business ever flourished into a successful state without a calculated risk here and there

However I think we need a few bits in place especially when we relocate

We need a USP for home and away support
Be it food, beverage, value for money or customer service

My personal thoughts are that with a "good match day experience " we should be able to make money regular year in year out once we up sticks

The cap along with SKY funds will take care of itself

One thing that does attract revenue is a winning team with astute marketing behind it. Yeah we've had a torrid run with casualties this season. Im sure with a few developments recruitment wise we'll be in good shape 2017

Evatiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Evatiger » 29 Aug 2016, 21:03

gateman wrote:as far as spending money goes , we should all leave it to the people who hold the purse strings they now how much we can afford with out going into debt, the club is better run now than all the sixty year plus I have been coming down the lane , i
That's not really answering what I asked bud

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 04 Sep 2016, 20:22

Evatiger wrote:Just having a beer thinking about where we are as a club and the salary cap.do you think our stance on the salary cap should change?obviously we've always been a team without much money and voted for the salary cap and for it not to be increased but now we've become more self sufficient and the squad we are building do you think we as a club should push for this to be increased?like I've said in a previous post it must be a nightmare balancing Cas Tigers salary cap as we now have around 20/22 really good players who could slot into the 1st team seamlessly.with the salary cap paid for by sky a new stadium on the orizon I think we could easily manage say a £2.5million cap.whats your thoughts guys
Short answer No.

Sky money doesn't cover the full salary cap

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 04 Sep 2016, 20:32

fords wrote:
Evatiger wrote:Just having a beer thinking about where we are as a club and the salary cap.do you think our stance on the salary cap should change?obviously we've always been a team without much money and voted for the salary cap and for it not to be increased but now we've become more self sufficient and the squad we are building do you think we as a club should push for this to be increased?like I've said in a previous post it must be a nightmare balancing Cas Tigers salary cap as we now have around 20/22 really good players who could slot into the 1st team seamlessly.with the salary cap paid for by sky a new stadium on the orizon I think we could easily manage say a £2.5million cap.whats your thoughts guys
Short answer No.

This is a myth.
Each club receives a set amount of £1,825,000 per season. The salary cap is £1,825,000.
No maths required!

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 04 Sep 2016, 20:49

nottinghamtiger wrote:
fords wrote:
Short answer No.

This is a myth.
Each club receives a set amount of £1,825,000 per season. The salary cap is £1,825,000.
No maths required!

You want to get your facts before posting. This is from April this year an extract from an email conversation we had.

No problem john always here to answer questions , the 1.82 million will be paid by the sky money around 2020 as it's a sliding scale but currently it's 1.52 around 30 k a week the club is currently needing 80 k a week , so you can see how we have to be very careful . Steve

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 04 Sep 2016, 21:08

fords wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:
fords wrote:
Short answer No.

This is a myth.
No maths required!

You want to get your facts before posting. This is from April this year an extract from an email conversation we had.

No problem john always here to answer questions , the 1.82 million will be paid by the sky money around 2020 as it's a sliding scale but currently it's 1.52 around 30 k a week the club is currently needing 80 k a week , so you can see how we have to be very careful . Steve
I fear you are being given false information.
It's quite clear that clubs get the £1.825m every season under the new deal.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 05 Sep 2016, 12:17

nottinghamtiger wrote:
fords wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:
fords wrote:
Short answer No.

This is a myth.
No maths required!

Steve must be lying then .............

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 05 Sep 2016, 12:37

nottinghamtiger wrote:
fords wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:
fords wrote:
Short answer No.

This is a myth.
No maths required!

Plus the new deal doesn't start until 2017

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 05 Sep 2016, 12:45

If the club needs 80k a year that is over 4million so that puzzles me for a start? Is that to run the whole club? According to the literature the monies award to clubs would rise to 1.82 million from 2015 which is a bit ambiguous. If the information Steve has given you is wrong it doesn't make him a liar. Maybe just misinformed. (I assume you mean Steve Gill) he is still very naive when it comes to business but I'm not bagging him he is doing the best job I can remember. No point arguing.

Dez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dez » 05 Sep 2016, 13:30

Does anyone know the annual turnover of cas and what would be the max amount they could spend of that amount on player salary.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 05 Sep 2016, 20:54

TT Tiger wrote:If the club needs 80k a year that is over 4million so that puzzles me for a start? Is that to run the whole club? According to the literature the monies award to clubs would rise to 1.82 million from 2015 which is a bit ambiguous. If the information Steve has given you is wrong it doesn't make him a liar. Maybe just misinformed. (I assume you mean Steve Gill) he is still very naive when it comes to business but I'm not bagging him he is doing the best job I can remember. No point arguing.
yes steve gill. If the figures he gave me are correct then we cant afford a 2.5 million salary cap im sure.

As you say the 80k I would think is to run the club so this will not just be wages obviously.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 16 Sep 2016, 12:59

TT Tiger wrote:If the club needs 80k a year that is over 4million so that puzzles me for a start? Is that to run the whole club? According to the literature the monies award to clubs would rise to 1.82 million from 2015 which is a bit ambiguous. If the information Steve has given you is wrong it doesn't make him a liar. Maybe just misinformed. (I assume you mean Steve Gill) he is still very naive when it comes to business but I'm not bagging him he is doing the best job I can remember. No point arguing.

Yes, it is to run the club as a whole.

People seem to believe that the club's expenses stops at players and that's it. The money we receive from Sky doesn't cover the whole salary cap - it covers it largely, and all clubs are in a position to spend the minimum of 1.825m.

However, the cap as a whole with all the extras people can have actually tops £2m, and if you use the marquee allowance - even bigger. So the clubs like Leeds have a bigger advantage.

The club has to pay for stadium upkeep, and all the backroom staff, young players, investment in technology, PR, marketing, creative, utilities, licensing etc etc. The club has invested significantly in the backroom staff recently to support DP and the infrastructure in the club.

So yes, clubs to spend full cap and to operate at a decent level usually spend around £4m. That is why the licensing turnover barrier was this amount, as it's roughly the amount needed to break even. If the club wants to push on and be at the pinnacle of the game, we will need to raise this towards £5m, even £6m.

The stadium does hold us back as we have limited hospitality (Leeds can seat something like 10 times what we can), obviously the bills, and no doubt other factors.

There will always be areas the club can improve, particularly when it comes to ancillaries such as lottery sales. Also, we need to make a big push on sponsorship and driving this up. The brand we play should be really exciting and a good sales asset.

If we fail to capitalise at this moment then we clearly do not have the best people in these positions. May be nice people, but nice people don't always get results. If I had one real criticism it's that we need to start looking at it as a business as a whole. This is something I've always said to SG.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Dez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dez » 16 Sep 2016, 13:17

Very informative post thanks

Evatiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Evatiger » 16 Sep 2016, 13:58

HuddsTigers wrote:

People seem to believe that the club's expenses stops at players and that's it. The money we receive from Sky doesn't cover the whole salary cap - it covers it largely, and all clubs are in a position to spend the minimum of 1.825m.

However, the cap as a whole with all the extras people can have actually tops £2m, and if you use the marquee allowance - even bigger. So the clubs like Leeds have a bigger advantage.

The club has to pay for stadium upkeep, and all the backroom staff, young players, investment in technology, PR, marketing, creative, utilities, licensing etc etc. The club has invested significantly in the backroom staff recently to support DP and the infrastructure in the club.

So yes, clubs to spend full cap and to operate at a decent level usually spend around £4m. That is why the licensing turnover barrier was this amount, as it's roughly the amount needed to break even. If the club wants to push on and be at the pinnacle of the game, we will need to raise this towards £5m, even £6m.

The stadium does hold us back as we have limited hospitality (Leeds can seat something like 10 times what we can), obviously the bills, and no doubt other factors.

There will always be areas the club can improve, particularly when it comes to ancillaries such as lottery sales. Also, we need to make a big push on sponsorship and driving this up. The brand we play should be really exciting and a good sales asset.

If we fail to capitalise at this moment then we clearly do not have the best people in these positions. May be nice people, but nice people don't always get results. If I had one real criticism it's that we need to start looking at it as a business as a whole. This is something I've always said to SG.
But there should be 1.82million extra for the club to operate.we had all that money to find on top of all the other bills before,so no matter what anyone says the club as 1.82million less to find.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 16 Sep 2016, 17:22

Evatiger wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:

But there should be 1.82million extra for the club to operate.we had all that money to find on top of all the other bills before,so no matter what anyone says the club as 1.82million less to find.

No, there isn't.

£1.825m is the bottom level salary cap a club can spend NOT what the club receives.

Also, the club previously received around £1.2m per season from Sky. They now receive around £1.5m. They have got around £300k extra.

Cutting bills elsewhere and increasing various factors such as ticket sales has allowed us to break even each season. We haven't suddenly got a wealth of money to start splashing the cash.

The club still needs fans, sponsors and income from external sources to operate to a sufficient level.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Evatiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Evatiger » 16 Sep 2016, 17:51

HuddsTigers wrote:
Evatiger wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:

No, there isn't.

£1.825m is the bottom level salary cap a club can spend NOT what the club receives.

Also, the club previously received around £1.2m per season from Sky. They now receive around £1.5m. They have got around £300k extra.

Cutting bills elsewhere and increasing various factors such as ticket sales has allowed us to break even each season. We haven't suddenly got a wealth of money to start splashing the cash.

The club still needs fans, sponsors and income from external sources to operate to a sufficient level.
Never said we have a wealth of money or to splash the cash for he fact is we have been given X amount of money from sky that we didn't have before

Frankas
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Frankas » 16 Sep 2016, 19:13

Are people forgetting the tax man, he will want his cut of Sky money, he will want his cut of anything we take in through gate receipts, merchandiser and sponsorship, plus VAT at 20%, that puts a big hole in any businesses funds,