Super 8s, Anti-Climax!

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Super 8s, Anti-Climax!

Post by orrsome » 19 Jul 2016, 14:52

Why not have a secondary (shield?) final where the teams that finish 5-8 play off as semi finals and the winners of these matches play in the Shield Final ahead of the Grand Final?

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 19 Jul 2016, 15:03

I'd rather have nothing to play for than be in the middle 8s, particularly with:
Leeds who are finding form
Salford who are only there because of a points deduction
Hull KR who we haven't beaten this season (and who put 50+ past us last time).
Huddersfield who have a new coach
Leigh who will be hurting from their abject failure last year.
And possibly Featherstone, because we know how much they will fancy a one-off game against us.
Give me nothing to play for rather than a fixture list like this when we know at least one SL team will be either relegated or in the £1m game

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 19 Jul 2016, 15:08

nottinghamtiger wrote:I'd rather have nothing to play for than be in the middle 8s, particularly with:
Leeds who are finding form
Salford who are only there because of a points deduction
Hull KR who we haven't beaten this season (and who put 50+ past us last time).
Huddersfield who have a new coach
Leigh who will be hurting from their abject failure last year.
And possibly Featherstone, because we know how much they will fancy a one-off game against us.
Give me nothing to play for rather than a fixture list like this when we know at least one SL team will be either relegated or in the £1m game
Agree 100%. i wouldn't be confident with our injury list among that lot. We should use the super 8s wisely, give some fringe players a chance and hopefully get some experienced players who were injured back playing with no direct risk for the clubs future.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 19 Jul 2016, 16:21

Since Sky "bought" rugby league, as it or rival media concerns have bought almost all sports, it has been incumbent on them to provide meaniful competition until the last kick of the season. It is business. (We all know that the easter period is not healthy for players, but who cares for players welfare? Not Sky, which implies not the RFL who dance to Sky's tune). Consequently we witness contrived systems over the years designed to keep TV viewers paying the subs. When we had top 8 playoffs, theoretically a lower ranked team coming into some form or not suffering many injuries could be "champions". Now we have "Every minute matters"
Ask Wakefield players who were engaged in a million pound game which could decide mortgage payments, future careers etc, if a season's endeavour should end in a gladatorial contest where winner takes all in a structure designed to embroil as many clubs as possible into a dog fight. Call me old fashioned, but the top of the table are champions and the bottom maybe deserve to be relegated. We witnessed Wakey surrendering half way through last season and gearing up a new team for the middle eights. That can't be right

da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 19 Jul 2016, 23:20

Just like the salary cap, these things take time to take effect. The whole idea is that there are 12 teams evenly matched and the bottom 4 are decided towards the end of the 23 rounds and that the top 4 would also be a lot closer. Say a league where bottom is on 16 points and top on 24 come the split.

Long live the Tigers!!!

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 19 Jul 2016, 23:40

We as rugby league need to pick a format and stick to it how can we expect national media coverage when even the most hardened rl fan doesn't know what's going on as it changes every 2 minutes. Super league 20 and how many different forms has the league taken? Find one and stick to it for 10 years to see if it works.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 20 Jul 2016, 02:04

I don't expect national coverage and the league indifferent public school elite who run this country are the reason for that, not the format of the play-offs

Jungle
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jungle » 20 Jul 2016, 07:38

Have normal promotion and relegation 1 or 2, add an extra cup and have season opening game a bit like the charity shield league winners v challenge cup winners (thats a game that can go on the road)

Thats how the premiership works and its successful
1 league
2 cups
1 season opener

Still 4 trophies up for grabs

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 20 Jul 2016, 10:27

Isn't that what the season was like in the 80s except there was the Regal Trophy and County cups as well?

The Fox
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by The Fox » 20 Jul 2016, 12:25

There was also still the Top 8 play offs at the end of the season as well - or as it was called the Premiership Play offs - also played at Old Trafford.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 20 Jul 2016, 12:46

Anti-climax it might be, but a massive well done to our players coaches and the board to get us into the 8s I doubt whether any other club with the amount of injuries we have had would be in the position we are in

steadygetyerboots-on
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by steadygetyerboots-on » 21 Jul 2016, 13:29

gateman wrote:Anti-climax it might be, but a massive well done to our players coaches and the board to get us into the 8s I doubt whether any other club with the amount of injuries we have had would be in the position we are in
Is echo that sentiment gateman. I genuinely think we could have topped the table this year had we not been so affected by injuries. It also shows how far we have come as a club that people are disappointed with the league position. Onwards & upwards!
"Stand by me as I stand by you, be brave and dare to dream".

casgadger

Post by casgadger » 11 Aug 2016, 09:06

Interesting to see the Widnes chairman echoing many of the sentiments posted on this thread. Doubt if the Wigan, Hull, Wire, saints or Catalans chairmen would be saying the same thing :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/37033500

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 11 Aug 2016, 10:09

casgadger wrote:Interesting to see the Widnes chairman echoing many of the sentiments posted on this thread. Doubt if the Wigan, Hull, Wire, saints or Catalans chairmen would be saying the same thing :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/37033500
Perhaps a stepped points award would be the way.

1st v second play each other to win the right to start the super 8s on 8 points, with home advantage to top spot in the league

2nd start on 6

3rd on 4

4th on 2

Or some equally crap suggestion lol...would be better than what we have anyway.
Audacter Et Sincere

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 11 Aug 2016, 10:24

why did we stop having the format they have in australia i think i remember we did at some point
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 11 Aug 2016, 10:46

Yes when we had that great run in '99 but otherwise it was always dominated by the usual suspects

Dazzyb
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dazzyb » 12 Aug 2016, 02:28

The top 3 should go through and 4th play 5th to go through to the semi finals.

Similar to the qualifying 8s million pound game. It gives the chasing pack something to play for and makes the competition more competitive. Like us this year, not much chance of making the 4 but getting to 5th could be attainable.

4th could get the home tie. It would push the top 3 to ensure they don't drop the pace and then drop into the 4th place.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 12 Aug 2016, 11:29

Dazzyb wrote:The top 3 should go through and 4th play 5th to go through to the semi finals.

Similar to the qualifying 8s million pound game. It gives the chasing pack something to play for and makes the competition more competitive. Like us this year, not much chance of making the 4 but getting to 5th could be attainable.

4th could get the home tie. It would push the top 3 to ensure they don't drop the pace and then drop into the 4th place.
Only problem with that it makes an already congested calender another week longer, pushing international games a week further back and giving even less time for sides to prepare for the following season.

Aid
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Aid » 12 Aug 2016, 23:23

If tonight was an anticlimax then I am up for a lot more! Bring them on!
cum on you Ford

legionited
League One Player
League One Player

Post by legionited » 05 Sep 2016, 14:46

I know this is completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things but I was curious to see how the table would look like if points were reset for the Super 8's.