Bottom Four

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
lidds
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Bottom Four

Post by lidds » 27 May 2016, 12:38

Really cant see us in the bottom 4.

I think we will be in 6th by the end of the regular season. Widnes are in freefall so cant see them catching us, and i think we will pip wakey. I know they can go 3 points clear of us tonight but I still believe their league position is false. They have a great habit at the moment of catching teams when they Aren't at full strength, and think their run will come to an end soon. (Their last 4 games are saints, Wigan Cats and us).
However if they scalp a couple of those teams, hopefully not us!... then it could make top 4 a little 'easier' to get into for the super 8's

At the moment Widnes are on 12 points from 15 games (An average of 0.8 Points a game) so after 23 games you would calculate that 18.4 points (Lets say 19) is enough for top 8. Last season it was 20 required. So looking like it will be very similar to last year.
We currently stand on 15 points with 7 games to go. You would hope that 3 wins from that should see us on 21 and 'safe'

Last season 28 would have got you 4th. This year its looking closer to 30 (Catalan averaging 1.33 points a game x 23 = 30.6)
So going to be nearly impossible to get top 4 after the regular season unless we win all our games and even then it wwould be tight. But I would hope we could kick on into the top 4 during the super 8's

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 27 May 2016, 14:26

I think we need 20 points for you 8, which is Must. Wet need to be within a couple or 4 points of the top four to get a chance in the super eights.

chesterfieldtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by chesterfieldtiger » 27 May 2016, 15:42

Sorry for my ignorance but why doesn't each team start again on zero when the top 8 takes place? Just like it does in the middle 8. Think that would be fairer. If a team in 8th has no realistic chance of making the top 4 what's the point? Makes a mockery of every game/minute matters. Surely it would be better to award the LLS before the split and run the top 8 as a separate competition. Just my opinion.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 27 May 2016, 15:44

onetiger wrote:last night phil clark says we will finish 7th just been piped for 6th by huddersfield

if we get a fare ref run of the green i can see us 6th ....
The man who predicted Salford to be Champions a couple of years ago

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 27 May 2016, 15:54

chesterfieldtiger wrote:Sorry for my ignorance but why doesn't each team start again on zero when the top 8 takes place? Just like it does in the middle 8. Think that would be fairer. If a team in 8th has no realistic chance of making the top 4 what's the point? Makes a mockery of every game/minute matters. Surely it would be better to award the LLS before the split and run the top 8 as a separate competition. Just my opinion.
So the entire 1st phase of the season all anyone would be playing for is to make the 8 by the split, how would that make every minute matter, the sides already in position to make the 8, at present the top 5 would have little to play for. I also feel that some sort of points system should be divised to reward the teams who will form the middle 8s and they shouldn't all be off level.

chesterfieldtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by chesterfieldtiger » 27 May 2016, 16:05

Maybe more of a monetary incentive for the LLS then. Who knows?

lidds
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by lidds » 27 May 2016, 16:11

Sharlotiger wrote:
chesterfieldtiger wrote:Sorry for my ignorance but why doesn't each team start again on zero when the top 8 takes place? Just like it does in the middle 8. Think that would be fairer. If a team in 8th has no realistic chance of making the top 4 what's the point? Makes a mockery of every game/minute matters. Surely it would be better to award the LLS before the split and run the top 8 as a separate competition. Just my opinion.
So the entire 1st phase of the season all anyone would be playing for is to make the 8 by the split, how would that make every minute matter, the sides already in position to make the 8, at present the top 5 would have little to play for. I also feel that some sort of points system should be divised to reward the teams who will form the middle 8s and they shouldn't all be off level.
I too was thinking it would be good if the points reset, but as you say that means some teams can clock off for the last few games of the regular season if they are certain to get top 8 (So ever min wont matter)

Or as we have it now there is an incentive to finish as high as possible to make the top 4. HOWEVER this can like last seaon leave team adrift at 7/8th with nothing really left to play for.

So my suggestion would be rather than have the top 4 play each other at the end of the super 8's, have all 8 teams involved. 1st Vs 8th, 2nd Vs 7th and so on. This only adds one additional game (Or could cut from 7 games in super 8 to 6 not sure how you would decide which teams don't play who) that way it should keep all teams and fans interested right upto the knockout stages. I also think it might add a bit of excitement if you have one of the 'Lower' top 8 teams potentially knocking a top team out.

(Finally could do it similar to the middle 8 and have a 'join the semi final' super game but think that's taking it too far...)

stuey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stuey » 28 May 2016, 10:07

Salford winning last night has not helped our cause to avoid the bottom 4. Fully expect Huddersfield to win as well this weekend. We just have to win next week and beat Salford away as well.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 28 May 2016, 10:13

Theres no point trying to work out whos going to beat who everybody can beat everybody else on there day apart from leeds who are utter garbage
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Casforthecup
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casforthecup » 28 May 2016, 10:20

I think we will get to 7th or 8th