Have we gone backwards?

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Distant tiger.

Have we gone backwards?

Post by Distant tiger. » 01 May 2016, 21:56

Was it the Leeds CEO who said,"you have to improve year on year just to stand still in this league." Well he's proved his point hasn't he.

Have we made poor signings just like Leeds and gone backwards?

If you release experienced players, you have to replace them with more experienced players to progress. I know we have injuries but so do most other teams.

I quoted earlier in the year, we had gone for the cheap options and I stand by that. Has Daryl Powells magic wand finally broken?

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Have we gone backwards?

Post by Casmoley » 01 May 2016, 22:24

Some people are hilarious, we almost beat a fully strength sts team today with a prop at half back!!!

Full strength team all season I'm confident we'd have won more than we've lost!

COYF!!!

Nu Shooze
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nu Shooze » 01 May 2016, 22:38

Casmoley wrote:Some people are hilarious, we almost beat a fully strength sts team today with a prop at half back!!!

COYF!!!
But we didn't and we haven't! As hilarious as you find it we are where we are and that is in serious trouble. We are in free-fall at the moment and I see no way out of it the way things are.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 01 May 2016, 23:01

Not in my view. Our injury list is shocking and like Leeds and Giants it has killed us this year. In retrospect I think letting Finn go was a mistake but a year ago the criticism at this stage of the year was too much change. This year, it's not enough. It isn't Powell's fault about the injuries, in fact he's not using it as an excuse. The reality though is that that is the root of our and a number of other clubs' form
When the club try to do something about it by bringing in fresh bodies mid season they immediately get criticism about the quality of the replacements. I agree that it's upsetting other teams won't let us have their best players. They really should be more understanding!
I still think that if we can get some experience back in a few weeks we can still salvage something from this season. Top 4 no, top 8 yes. Cup progress? Possibly and the upside is the experience a lot of our youngsters have gained in the first team which will be invaluable moving forward

Andrew6666
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Andrew6666 » 01 May 2016, 23:30

Distant tiger. wrote:Was it the Leeds CEO who said,"you have to improve year on year just to stand still in this league." Well he's proved his point hasn't he.

Have we made poor signings just like Leeds and gone backwards?

If you release experienced players, you have to replace them with more experienced players to progress. I know we have injuries but so do most other teams.

I quoted earlier in the year, we had gone for the cheap options and I stand by that. Has Daryl Powells magic wand finally broken?
Our injury list has hit us definitely, but other teams also have injured players.
Imo you have to at the very least replace like with like, as long as other teams are doing the same. If other teams are signing better quality players then teams have to respond. Look at Warrington, Hull FC and Catalan, all invested heavily in top quality Sl players. Leeds and Huddersfield haven't invested heavily and look at them. The table doesn't lie.
I do think we have a good squad when fully fit and they play as a unit. I think the Carney situation has dented massively pre-season, love him or hate him Carney got us points which won us games in previous seasons just with his brute force. We HAVENT replaced him like for like, we have replaced one of our go to guys with an aged winger. Lynch (whilst fantastic) every game is a year older and is now being expected to do more minutes, Hampshire and Homes look stifled by Gale, the recent signings look panicked (IMO). I think fans are right to question what is happening, it's how we will demand the best from all involved at the club. If we all sit back and 'happy clap', accept 'mediocrity' and don't show an added 'winning mentality' then we will stabilise or go backwards. Whilst rivals move forwards.
I want Cas to be top 4 every year (as I am sure every fan does) we are currently 8th, am I happy, no, even though we played well today.
I dont think we have gone backwards, but I do think we have stabilised, whilst others have got better. Even with a fully fit squad, a nasty prop, a full back that can defend and a winger would still walk into the 17 on match day.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 02 May 2016, 08:30

I suspect Powell goes to the board with list players he wants....and they aren't the one's we end up with.

Quite a few people on this forum stated in pre season that our starting 17 would give anybody a game, but voiced concerns if we got a few injuries as we don't have a depth of quality in the squad. I don't think anybody expected the injuries to be this bad.

Personally I don't think our physio team are cutting it at the moment, and hope the appointment of Matt Crowther wasn't a cheap option because he's from the town and a Sheffield Eagles old boy. Maybe its time to send our crocked players off to somebody else for treatment/second options?

Yes it will cost money...but balance it out to lost revenue on the gate. Want to guess the crowd on Saturday?...or what it will be by the time we take on Wigan after the Warrington game in Newcastle?.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 02 May 2016, 09:59

duke street 10 wrote:I suspect Powell goes to the board with list players he wants....and they aren't the one's we end up with.

Quite a few people on this forum stated in pre season that our starting 17 would give anybody a game, but voiced concerns if we got a few injuries as we don't have a depth of quality in the squad. I don't think anybody expected the injuries to be this bad.

Personally I don't think our physio team are cutting it at the moment, and hope the appointment of Matt Crowther wasn't a cheap option because he's from the town and a Sheffield Eagles old boy. Maybe its time to send our crocked players off to somebody else for treatment/second options?

Yes it will cost money...but balance it out to lost revenue on the gate. Want to guess the crowd on Saturday?...or what it will be by the time we take on Wigan after the Warrington game in Newcastle?.

i'd put money on it being below 5k for them both

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 02 May 2016, 10:58

Casmoley wrote:Some people are hilarious, we almost beat a fully strength sts team today with a prop at half back!!!

COYF!!!

If if if, we didn't win its another loss.
We are getting nearer the mire and the bottom 4.

Looks like that's 3 now gone for the season.
Shenton, robson,lynch.

As for Roberts , the invisible man.
Not sure where our next win come.
Salford next week will beat us, don't like saying it but I think they will.

Worrying times at the min.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 02 May 2016, 11:24

People are aware we are 4 points off the bottom 4! Widnes also can't buy a win at the moment!

Imagine if you lot were Huddersfield fans who have had the odd injury hear and there yet still joint bottom you'd all be having a mental breakdown!!

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 02 May 2016, 11:39

Yes. This is like the days under Millward where we didn't know where the next win was coming from.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 02 May 2016, 11:51

Personally i still think we will finish in the top eight...
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Normy-Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Normy-Tiger » 02 May 2016, 15:23

We have not gone backwards. We have had a hard season due to injuries. If we would of just had a normal season where players take knocks and not major injuries to nearly every player. We would have been in top 6 fighting for top 4 for sure.

We are still 8th with our mounting injury list. Its not that bad. Once we get some players back we will push forward and make the 8.

Frankas
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Frankas » 02 May 2016, 15:54

Yes other teams have injury's but I don't think their is a team in the league who have gone through what we are at the moment, Shenton and Mariano, have played under half a game each, Robson, out before we start, then we loose Roberts, Moors, Holmes, and Dorn, all starting players, then we have Hitchcox,playing with three dislocated fingers, then Crooks and know Lynch.

Nobody can do anything about injury's, but these players got injured playing for Cas, entertaining the fans, some of the folk writing on this page have played the game and know what players go through, and then there is others who think the players are just machines who shouldn't break down. For weeks all we have seen from our fans on hear, Facebook and twitter, is where's Roberts, he should be playing," he only bruised his foot" or why don't we get told exactly whats wrong with him, I even think some want the club to publish his medical records so they can scrutinize them.

There is one thing what will never change, in our area, and that's Rugby league,but due to one reason or another our squad has been decimated by injury. We have some of the best fans in the league but some of our fans would win year in year out, if their was a League for moaning.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 02 May 2016, 16:03

Like it Frankas!

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 02 May 2016, 16:19

The reason we're not tearing up the turf at the moment, is because we are missing too many key players, the criticism that we don't have enough quality in our squad doesn't wash, as we have more quality sitting in the stand than ever used to be the case.

I can't quite believe that people are questioning Benny's injury status, I'm 100% sure his injury is much worse than was previously thought to be the case, otherwise he would be playing and helping Luke Gale steer the ship.

How many other teams could put in a performance without the likes of Dorn, Shenton, Webster, Roberts, Holmes, Moors, Mariano. It proved to be a mistake letting Greg Minikin go out on loan, with Jake Webster injured and the same could be said of Boyle, but what's that they say about hindsight?

As far as our recent signings are concerned, with injuries being a problem at a number of clubs, we have done really well to recruit Larne Patrick, Danny Tickle is a risk, but he is low risk and a no brainer by the sounds of things, so I will reserve judgement until he pulls a Cas shirt on.

The Flynn signing, if the rumours are correct, is a bit more baffling, but DP has his reasons and with Denny's injury issues, it's maybe not such a bad call. Joel Monaghan showed on Sunday that he can do a job at centre, it gives more competition for places, which DP has publicly stated, he wants. Paddy has certainly played well against Justin Carney, whenever he's been up against our former winger.

COYF!!!
Danny Boy

johnboy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by johnboy » 02 May 2016, 20:20

Don't forget the days of Ian Millward and Richard Wright. Backwards? I don't think so!

Onwards and upwards. COYF.
Be reasonable - do it my way!

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 02 May 2016, 20:24

As already said, in sport standing still is going backwards, as you can bet your bottom dollar that others will improve.
A quick comparison of our (roughly) first choice 17 at the end of 2015 and the beginning of 2016 is telling:
2015 - 2016
Dorn - Dorn
Solomona - Solomona
Shenton - Shenton
Webster - Webster
Carney - Monaghan
Roberts - Roberts
Gale - Gale
Lynch - Lynch
Milner - Milner
Millington - Millington
McMeekan - McMeekan
Holmes - Holmes
Massey - Massey

Jewitt - Jewitt
Cook - Cook
Moors - Moors
McShane - McShane.

It's pretty clear there has been no improvement whatsoever in our first choice 17. Whilst some may argue that we strengthened the players below this, that is not good enough if we want to improve. As I posted on another thread, In no position have we have signed a better player for 2016 than we had in 2015. Hull FC, Salford and Catalans (who all finished below us last year) have signed players such as Sika Manu, Frank Pritchard, Carlos Tuimavave, Scott Taylor, Robert Lui, Craig Kopzack, Ben Murdoch-Masilla, Josh Jones, Paul Aiton, Dave Taylor, Glenn Stewart, Ritchie Myler, Pat Richards and Willie Mason. At the start of the year we signed Jy Hitchcox, Greg Minikin, a past-it Joel Monaghan and Ben Crooks. It doesn't take a genius to work out why we they are now looking better than us and we are now facing the real possibility of a scrap through the middle 8s.

Distant tiger.

Post by Distant tiger. » 02 May 2016, 21:38

nottinghamtiger wrote:As already said, in sport standing still is going backwards, as you can bet your bottom dollar that others will improve.
A quick comparison of our (roughly) first choice 17 at the end of 2015 and the beginning of 2016 is telling:
2015 - 2016
Dorn - Dorn
Solomona - Solomona
Shenton - Shenton
Webster - Webster
Carney - Monaghan
Roberts - Roberts
Gale - Gale
Lynch - Lynch
Milner - Milner
Millington - Millington
McMeekan - McMeekan
Holmes - Holmes
Massey - Massey

Jewitt - Jewitt
Cook - Cook
Moors - Moors
McShane - McShane.

It's pretty clear there has been no improvement whatsoever in our first choice 17. Whilst some may argue that we strengthened the players below this, that is not good enough if we want to improve. As I posted on another thread, In no position have we have signed a better player for 2016 than we had in 2015. Hull FC, Salford and Catalans (who all finished below us last year) have signed players such as Sika Manu, Frank Pritchard, Carlos Tuimavave, Scott Taylor, Robert Lui, Craig Kopzack, Ben Murdoch-Masilla, Josh Jones, Paul Aiton, Dave Taylor, Glenn Stewart, Ritchie Myler, Pat Richards and Willie Mason. At the start of the year we signed Jy Hitchcox, Greg Minikin, a past-it Joel Monaghan and Ben Crooks. It doesn't take a genius to work out why we they are now looking better than us and we are now facing the real possibility of a scrap through the middle 8s.
Very well put nottinghamtiger, glad someone hasn't got their head in the sand.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 02 May 2016, 22:40

nottinghamtiger wrote:As already said, in sport standing still is going backwards, as you can bet your bottom dollar that others will improve.
2015 - 2016
Dorn - Dorn
Solomona - Solomona
Shenton - Shenton
Webster - Webster
Carney - Monaghan
Roberts - Roberts
Gale - Gale
Lynch - Lynch
Milner - Milner
Millington - Millington
McMeekan - McMeekan
Holmes - Holmes
Massey - Massey

Jewitt - Jewitt
Cook - Cook
Moors - Moors
McShane - McShane.

:clap: couldn't have said it any better myself.

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 02 May 2016, 23:24

2015 - 2016
Dorn - Dorn
Solomona - Solomona
Shenton - Shenton
Webster - Webster
Carney - Monaghan
Roberts - Roberts
Gale - Gale
Lynch - Lynch
Milner - Milner
Millington - Millington
McMeekan - McMeekan
Holmes - Holmes
Massey - Massey

Jewitt - Jewitt
Cook - Cook
Moors - Moors
McShane - McShane.

Spot on.