Daryl Powell on Carney

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Daryl Powell on Carney

Post by the machine » 26 Apr 2016, 18:35

As Castleford Tigers confirm the permanent departure of winger Justin Carney, Tigers head coach Daryl Powell has lifted his silence on the matter:
“Justin has found a new club and it’s the best thing for both parties. At the end of the day he is a good player but there are certain things that you can accept in a Rugby League club and there are certain things that you can’t. I hope our fans understand that there was just no way that we could accept what happened,”

Powell added: “There is a lot of truth and honesty in Rugby League and that’s the most important thing for me, Justin has said he was wrong, and yeah your dead set right he was wrong in every single way, so people take their punishment and move on, it’s important he did that. It was a rough thing to go through, things like that are, but it is done now and we move on. It was a difficult situation but I thought we dealt with it, as a club, impeccability in my mind,”

“Justin has moved on now and that’s life. We couldn’t have done anything else, and Salford were the only club that were interested in him, it was best for both parties. I think it’s really important now that everybody just moves on and we get on with the job of playing Rugby League. We’ll be seeing him in a couple of weeks’ time here at the Jungle and we need to come out on top of that game. The most important thing for me now is what we have got in front of us, we’ve got to move on from this.”
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

classysupercas
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Daryl Powell on Carney

Post by classysupercas » 26 Apr 2016, 19:11

so that is proof that nobody else was interested in him. looks like we got the best deal we could. now we have money released to buy new quality signings not has beens, or sub standard players. we need to use our money more wisely in the future.

onetiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by onetiger » 26 Apr 2016, 19:14

well now that statement as come out i retracked every thing i said about the club and b o d ---as all ready been said looks like the club got best deal they could.....

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 26 Apr 2016, 19:18

classysupercas wrote:so that is proof that nobody else was interested in him. looks like we got the best deal we could. now we have money released to buy new quality signings not has beens, or sub standard players. we need to use our money more wisely in the future.
Nobody else wanted him paying him the money he was on at cas
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 26 Apr 2016, 19:37

classysupercas wrote:so that is proof that nobody else was interested in him. looks like we got the best deal we could. now we have money released to buy new quality signings not has beens, or sub standard players. we need to use our money more wisely in the future.
Weren't Salford paying all Carneys wage anyway, which we have since wasted on Joel Monaghan? If so, what money have we realised by letting Carney go?

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 26 Apr 2016, 19:48

Fumper27 wrote:
Weren't Salford paying all Carneys wage anyway, which we have since wasted on Joel Monaghan? If so, what money have we realised by letting Carney go?
We have no idea how much we are paying Monaghan, but I doubt it's the same as Carney was on.
I have to say that last week, I though Joel had a good game at the pies and looked the part once again, against KR he was pretty much the same as everyone else.
Danny Boy

Shirtoffmyback
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Shirtoffmyback » 26 Apr 2016, 19:50

Fumper27 wrote:
None, it's wrong thar the club are getting DP to make these statements. He should be left alone to stick to coaching and not get involved with club spin.

Martiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Martiger » 26 Apr 2016, 19:53

Agree with above, very UN professional releasing a statement like that, as was the way the whole situation was handled, a statement like that from the coach when the team just got battered by the worse team in the league ought to focus his attention on the playing squad and putting things right for this week not releasing crap to the media again.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 26 Apr 2016, 20:34

Steve Gill should have done the statement, unless he's not ceo anymore (rumours)

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 26 Apr 2016, 21:48

old cas lass wrote:Steve Gill should have done the statement, unless he's not ceo anymore (rumours)
Jesus people moan when there is no info and we let him go for free. Then we get a statement letting the fans know why and people still moan.

](*,)

mystery
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by mystery » 26 Apr 2016, 21:57

Unbelievable what I am reading on here, it was Darryl's decision Carney didn't play at Cas again, he is man enough to admit it, and doesn't have to stand behind the CEO while he reads the statement, people are trying to find faults when they are not there,should all be concentrating on next weekends game and the challenge cup,instead of trying to find fault with people trying to do their best for Cas.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 26 Apr 2016, 22:25

Like it!

viva brad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by viva brad » 26 Apr 2016, 22:34

old cas lass wrote:Steve Gill should have done the statement, unless he's not ceo anymore (rumours)
it wasn't a club statement it was part of an interview with BBC sport

1935 year of the tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by 1935 year of the tiger » 26 Apr 2016, 23:32

I don't think that it's a coincidence that during the last week we have signed two forwards on loan, I suspect that Salford are now paying Carney's wage in full, freeing cash up for the two loanees. Hopefully there will something left over for an outside back, as we definitely need strengthening in this area as well.

In view of the nature of Carney's departure, the club have had to make the best of a bad situation and if the move to Salford was seen by the club as the best (and perhaps only viable) way forward, then we should all support their decision, as we all have the clubs interests at heart.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 27 Apr 2016, 03:33

1935 year of the tiger wrote:I don't think that it's a coincidence that during the last week we have signed two forwards on loan, I suspect that Salford are now paying Carney's wage in full, freeing cash up for the two loanees. Hopefully there will something left over for an outside back, as we definitely need strengthening in this area as well.

In view of the nature of Carney's departure, the club have had to make the best of a bad situation and if the move to Salford was seen by the club as the best (and perhaps only viable) way forward, then we should all support their decision, as we all have the clubs interests at heart.
They were paying his wage in full all along anyway

And powell has said in the past we dont spend fully up to the cap in case we need ti bring one or two in during the season
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

casyorkie
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casyorkie » 27 Apr 2016, 07:46

the machine wrote:
1935 year of the tiger wrote:I don't think that it's a coincidence that during the last week we have signed two forwards on loan, I suspect that Salford are now paying Carney's wage in full, freeing cash up for the two loanees. Hopefully there will something left over for an outside back, as we definitely need strengthening in this area as well.

They were paying his wage in full all along anyway

And powell has said in the past we dont spend fully up to the cap in case we need ti bring one or two in during the season
That's the part I don't understand it has already been said Salford were paying his full wages so why agree to release him.

Powell can state that as far as he knew no other club was interested in Carney but unfortunalty these days that can also mean don't talk to me about any Carney offers I just want him out let the CEO deal with it.

If Carney wanted releasing from his contract either make him pay it up or part pay off his contract or get something of Salford I find it very hard to believe that Wigan were not interested in Carney.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 27 Apr 2016, 07:54

Very interesting but I believe Powell is a man of integrity and meant exactly what he said

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 27 Apr 2016, 12:45

mystery wrote:Unbelievable what I am reading on here, it was Darryl's decision Carney didn't play at Cas again, he is man enough to admit it, and doesn't have to stand behind the CEO while he reads the statement, people are trying to find faults when they are not there,should all be concentrating on next weekends game and the challenge cup,instead of trying to find fault with people trying to do their best for Cas.
Totally agree.

Whilst I will always believe there was an alternative I respect DP for giving his reasons and it's a shame it's not done by more people, more often.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

dude
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by dude » 08 May 2016, 13:23

Seems like it wasnt just salford who were interested in carney

http://www.totalrl.com/carney-salford-no-brainer/

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 08 May 2016, 15:00

Yes but it's also clear that there was 'interest' which he was aware of but nothing formal. Shaun Wane said so at the time but if there was no approach as this suggests is the case,it means nothing